Leaking Shocks

Dead

I did a search and didn't find too much in terms of my 'niche' question (thought I'd generalise the thread more so people can address all their leaky shock issues here).

As some of you know, I'm running D2 coilovers (the same ones Kaze, Johnny etc down in Melbourne purchased). I only just installed these this year though, around 3 months ago.

I've had issues with the front drivers side right being consistently noisey (knock knock knock as I drive, 'doinnnggggg' sounds when I turn the wheel). This is sometimes intermittent also. It goes away, and then comes back.

The final symptom I'm experiencing (and the reason why I'm thinking it's the shock or something relative) is the fact that my ride height on the front drivers side is sagging down again by few mm. I can pick it from measuring with my finger.

Silva originally thought this could also be a bearing gone in the pillowball mount, but given the change in ride height over a couple of weeks, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

I'm taking my suspension guy for a drive on Monday morning.

Any thoughts guys?

Any signs of a leak??? Spring is still seated top and bottom properly?? Have you got them set on a harder or softer setting??

sounds similar to mine but not as harsh.. what settings are you running and also how much camber??

my damper is set around the middle but the closer to the soft side if that makes sense.. also they didnt set too much negative camber..

i called up the place where i purchased them from (they didnt install though) and the guy there said you will get some noises but if its alot then compress the spring about 5-10mm..

I've had issues with the front drivers side right being consistently noisey (knock knock knock as I drive, 'doinnnggggg' sounds when I turn the wheel). This is sometimes intermittent also. It goes away, and then comes back.

The pillowball needs lube. Outboard grease (I haven't tried it yet) or gear oil (what I use now), applied in a small quantity to the joint will solve this problem, don't leave it too long or else you will be up for new pillowballs.

The final symptom I'm experiencing (and the reason why I'm thinking it's the shock or something relative) is the fact that my ride height on the front drivers side is sagging down again by few mm. I can pick it from measuring with my finger.

Hmm, I can't think of too many things that cause it, but I can think of a few things you can check out. Measure from the wheel centre to the top of the wheel arch while on the ground and again while in the air. See if it is the same between left and right while in the air. Measure the distance between the lower mounts and the spring seat too to see what left-right error there is. Or drive it up to the meet so I can have a look at it :P

Cheers guys. We'll see how I go. The mounts should be fine if they're greased.

Angelo said something about reducing the travel slightly, but we'll see what's said on Monday.

Xoom has already been through 2 sets of pillow mounts already from memory. He keeps a spare set in the cupborad for rainy days LOL

Koni FTW !!!!

Xoom has already been through 2 sets of pillow mounts already from memory. He keeps a spare set in the cupborad for rainy days LOL

Koni FTW !!!!

I was told in the Mazda Familia rally cars we had, the top mounts had to be changed like 3 times a year. Rubber FTW

Greased them yesterday. Knocking gone. Grease ftw.

Had pizza for dinner - grease FTMFW

Going to go nail the GF - Rubber FTMFW

I think i might settle for KONI's - FTMFW

Edited by Mopp

What I don't understand is how Bill can go through that many. There's a guy on a Supra forum in the states that claims he's had his for 5 years and only replaced them once (these are D2's)

Maybe ol' mate in his supra does like 1500km's a year......

What, like your sportivo when you owned it? :P

Cheers for the help Bren. Was a manufacturing defect though. Passenger pillowball is fine. Drivers side seizes. Meh.