Has anyone installed Bosch HID conversion kit?

JIN

Hi guys.

I just installed Bosch hid kit last night.

Has anyone had difficulties on installing Bosch HID kit?

It took me 3 hours to install it because the globe size does not perfectly match with the bulb socket.

The problem was that the socket clip(?) from hid golbes is plastic and it's too thick to fit in the original socket.

So I was just keep cutting the plastic edges of the hid bulb clip to make it fitted which took the most of the time around 2.5 hours.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you guys....

I will put some pics later on if I can get some helpful pics from the internet.

Also, how do you guys take care of the bulb power plug with the kit?

As a diagram below, everything is exactly same except bulb type.

The power plug from HID kit seems like just 2 wires.

What I did is I just plugged those two wires into the power socket and taped with duct tape.

How did you guys install them if u did?

Well..

I think I should buy a socket for the plug from repco or supercheap auto. :blink:

Edited by JIN

how much and where did u buy this kit.?

much difference when ur driving.?

well...I got the kit from someone my work mate knows and I paid $200 for it.

I installed the kit last night in my garage and haven't gone out yet.

but it seems like much brighter than the original bulbs tho.

I've installed a set of HID's on my Aurion. It was one of those $70 (shipped) kits off eBay though, not a Bosch kit. I had an issue with installing the lamps as well. Because I was installing it with the headlights still in the car, I couldn't get a clear picture of what was happening, and spent many frustrated minutes trying to get the lamp to mount in the holder. It turned out that the plastic tabs that lock the lamp in the holder were sticking out too far to the sides so I used some snips and trimmed them. Can't complain though; for a $70 kit, they are pretty good. It doesn't bother me if the lamps don't last as long as an expensive kit. From experience though, those cheap kits are quite durable.

As for my wiring, I installed two relays and powered both ballasts from that. The reason why I did this is that HID's don't really like it when you flash them, and I didn't want to have the possibility of flashing them when I need to flash my high beams. I found out that when you flash the high beams when all lights are off, both the low beams and the high beams come on. Conveniently though, the parkers don't come on in this situation, so I used that to my advantage. Relay one turns on when the parkers are turned on and relay number two (which supplies power to the ballasts) only comes on when both relay number one AND the low beams are turned on. Now I can flash my high beams as much as I want without shortening the life of my HID's.

As for connecting the relays to the existing wiring loom, I did a splice and solder connection for the parker light (only on the positive rail) and the low beam one was a crimp connector and plugged straight into the socket then sealed with self sealing tape. The ground from the low beam provides the ground for both relays. That way, only one wire was messed with. I would have liked to get a male H11 connector, but that is a bit of a hard one to find. I prefer to avoid messing with the original wiring, hence why I only did a solder connection on one wire.

I've attached my sketch of my wiring setup. It's a bit messy, but it demonstrates the idea.

post-7685-1210330885_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJKOR

I've installed a set of HID's on my Aurion. It was one of those $70 (shipped) kits off eBay though, not a Bosch kit. I had an issue with installing the lamps as well. Because I was installing it with the headlights still in the car, I couldn't get a clear picture of what was happening, and spent many frustrated minutes trying to get the lamp to mount in the holder. It turned out that the plastic tabs that lock the lamp in the holder were sticking out too far to the sides so I used some snips and trimmed them. Can't complain though; for a $70 kit, they are pretty good. It doesn't bother me if the lamps don't last as long as an expensive kit. From experience though, those cheap kits are quite durable.

As for my wiring, I installed two relays and powered both ballasts from that. The reason why I did this is that HID's don't really like it when you flash them, and I didn't want to have the possibility of flashing them when I need to flash my high beams. I found out that when you flash the high beams when all lights are off, both the low beams and the high beams come on. Conveniently though, the parkers don't come on in this situation, so I used that to my advantage. Relay one turns on when the parkers are turned on and relay number two (which supplies power to the ballasts) only comes on when both relay number one AND the low beams are turned on. Now I can flash my high beams as much as I want without shortening the life of my HID's.

As for connecting the relays to the existing wiring loom, I did a splice and solder connection for the parker light (only on the positive rail) and the low beam one was a crimp connector and plugged straight into the socket then sealed with self sealing tape. The ground from the low beam provides the ground for both relays. That way, only one wire was messed with. I would have liked to get a male H11 connector, but that is a bit of a hard one to find. I prefer to avoid messing with the original wiring, hence why I only did a solder connection on one wire.

I've attached my sketch of my wiring setup. It's a bit messy, but it demonstrates the idea.

Hi DJKOR.

Thanks for your info.

You had pretty same problem as I had.

Well.. I actually broke the one of the plastic tab which lock the globe.

I taped the back of globe after fit in with duct tape so it should be ok tho.

BTW, where did you put the ballasts?

The ballasts were a bit bigger and thicker than I thought and I was having hard time to make a decision that where I put those ballasts in.

Yeah, in the midst of my frustration, I managed to snap one tab as well. The lamp still sits in the holder pretty good. If the bulb ever blows, I'll know what not to do in the future.

Mounting the ballasts were the fun part. The install took me 1.5 hours because I spent 1 hour trying to find the neatest spot to mount the ballasts. I couldn't really figure anything out that would be the most ideal (without removing the bumper), so I mounted one below and in front of the battery, and the other... well the picture will show. They are held down with a bolt, and I put a cable tie around it to keep 100% secure.

post-7685-1210332171_thumb.jpg

post-7685-1210332191_thumb.jpg

That's good place to put those ballasts in.

Here are pictures of where I put the ballasts in and I am now worried of one of the ballasts position which is infront of engine hose and under the coolant hose.

Wouldn't that place be too hot to put the ballast in?

Any possibilities of disorder because of high temperature?

Bosch never produce HID parts. Your one is fake, that's made in China. It might damage your car.

Check the official website http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2259.htm

they don't have HID parts.

Trust me because I was using the same ballast as you had and it end up burn my fuse.

Edited by Aurion Shache

Bosch never produce HID parts. Your one is fake, that's made in China. It might damage your car.

Check the official website http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2259.htm

Trust me because I was using the same ballast as you had and it end up burn my fuse.

everyone knows that, you dont have to say it.. but burning your fuse? that i not sure, coz there are around 15 people in this forum using this hid :D

Edited by dannywss

Woot..I didn't expect to hear this one.

yeah. Maybe its not the genuine one but who cares?

It's ok as long as I like it and the quality of the HID kit is pretty good and satisfiable. :rolleyes:

Plus they are really affordable price rather than thousands of $$$ HID kits, aren't they?

Also my ballasts look like ok. If they have some problems later on, it is my responsibility to take the risk.

Installing any after maket parts, if they are not the factory one, there is always risk that you have to take.

Maybe you are not lucky enough to get the normal one instead of faulty one. :)

have you got pics of the HID vs standard light on a wall/surface to see the light intensity/spread?

Unfortuately not, but I can see the HID is much brighter than the original one and I can even recognize the brightness.

Also I emailed BOSCH Australia and I got reply today.

They replied that they do not manufacture any kind of after market HID kits.

It means all the BOSCH HID kits on the markets are not genuine.

Although my HID kit is not genuine one, I like it. :yahoo:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hey guys i just installed an aftermarket HID kit for my 07 aurion,i bought it for $80 and its 60k the difference between the stock and the hids is very big,i wish i had done them earlier,now i am just thinking what else to do to my car,so car i have just changed all the lights to led,hid thats about it,im finking of gettin 18's and pedders springs soon,