xenon conversion to head lights and foglights

ooz

i need to know what kit to purchase for my aurion to convert my driving lights and high beam and fog lights to xenon on my aurion there are so many kits out there but i dont know which ones to purchase has any 1 done this conversion before

i need to know what kit to purchase for my aurion to convert my driving lights and high beam and fog lights to xenon on my aurion there are so many kits out there but i dont know which ones to purchase has any 1 done this conversion before

Most people don't bother changing their high beams and fog lights to HID. You will fin people out there that change their fog lights to HID, but you will find the high beams stay as halogen still. It isn't really economical to change your high beams to HID's because discharge style lamps have a longer life when they are operated continuously. Lot's of on/off cycles as well as brief usage times (such as when you flash your high beams) can wear the lamp out much faster. As for the fog lights, HID's will create a fair bit of glare for oncoming drivers, and probably isn't recommended. You can install some if you really want to however; it really is up to you. If you wanted the best performance, you should go for ones around the 3500K mark as they are a more yellow colour which is better in rain and fog.

Whichever way you choose to go, the low beams and fog lights are both H11 style, and the high beams are HB3. Kit and quality wise, most people say 'you get what you pay for'. I have found though that the cheap kits on eBay are pretty good for their price however. I picked mine up for around $80 including shipping and they work great. I had a cheap set in my old Camry as well and it never failed. I figured, I'll get a cheap set and if it lasts, that's great; and if it fails badly, I'll get a better kit next time. The key to prevent shortening the life of your lamp is in the way you use it. Try and keep them on for as long as you can per use. If you absolutely need to turn it off for a short period and need to restart them soon, try an wait a minute, and when you turn them on, try and do so once the engine has started and the car is not moving, an give it about 15-30 seconds for the 'high voltage' (200V is actually considered low voltage; but most people don't care) arc to stabilise.

Anyways, in respect to installing HID's in just the low beams, if you look around there has been some discussion:

Has anyone installed Bosch HID conversion kit?, globe size, power plug etc..

and some discussion on the colour temperatures and whatnot over at:

ZR6 Halogen Lights to HID 6000K

Also, Aurion ZR6 has done his own write-up at:

Xenon HID Kit Headlight Upgrade on Toyota Aurion

for someone who can even start selling foglights, i dont think he dont know about these hid stuff.. so dont bother replying this Q..

Meh, not my money being spent on a complete HID setup. Either way, I've seen the result of HID questions over at the Toyota Nation forums. They usually get at least one per week. This question is bound to get asked again in the future. The answer is there to hope some genius doesn't come along and post another thread about it.

I believe it's not a good idea to have HID kits on high beam and fog lights.

Like DJKOR said it will shorten the hid lifetime badly if you installed them for high beams.

There are some HID kits for both Low/High beam and it sounds like it is the most suitable one for ya.

I believe it's not a good idea to have HID kits on high beam and fog lights. ....

Sorry for jumping to this discussion but talking about fog lights - Just read few days ago: In Victoria, you can not turn the fog lights on if no fog - I rearely turn my fog lights on but that why I'm worying about because I may forget turn they off.

BH

Edited by BanHien

I believe it's not a good idea to have HID kits on high beam and fog lights. ....

Sorry for jumping to this discussion but talking about fog lights - Just read few days ago: In Victoria, you can not turn the fog lights on if no fog - I rearely turn my fog lights on but that why I'm worying about because I may forget turn they off.

BH

Here in Queensland they haven't quite updated the list to mention front fog lights.

/QRR_part13_lights_and_warning_devices.pdf

The document only mentions "The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or

other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility."

There are a lot of drivers around here that use their fog lights in combination with their headlights. Personally, I don't like the combination of using both. I only use my fog lights when it is approaching night and I think I can make it to where I need to get to without it getting dark enough that it justifies turning my headlights on. That way I reduce the usage of my HID's. Just on of those little things I'm picky with.

Apparently as well, I've heard that using your fog lights in combination with your headlights actually reduces your visibility at night. Don't quote me on it though. I think its something to do with the fact that things at a closer distance will be lighted up with more emphasis which makes things at a longer distance less noticeable.

i do a fair bit of night shift so driving home in the pitch black and slightly fatigued is normal, and I reckon that last bit about the fog lights not helping at night is a load of $hit (not you directly mate, but whoever came up with that theory). I find that with them on I can light up the immediate area in front of the car and to the sides much better, this allows me to see pot holes and animal on the side of the roads much better than with them off. Just my opinion. I have my lights on all the time, black and all, i have been nearly speared into that many times in a white car let alone a black car, any extra bit of protection and I am all for it.

The document only mentions "The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or

other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility." ....

Nop, Look at this link: VIC ROAD - Which says: Minister for Roads and Ports, Tim Pallas, said that using front fog lights in any other conditions apart from hazardous weather conditions was now prohibited.

BH

• 2 years later...

Sorry to be a pain guys, but if the HID isn't recommended.. then which type of bulb is?

Which light are you talking about? Fog, low, high?

Low beam.

Low beam HID is recommended. Many of us here have HID low beams and are very happy with them. Its high beams that aren't recommended, because constant short bursts of usage can shorten the life of the lamp.

Sorry to be a pain guys, but if the HID isn't recommended.. then which type of bulb is?

Which light are you talking about? Fog, low, high?

Low beam.

Low beam HID is recommended. Many of us here have HID low beams and are very happy with them. Its high beams that aren't recommended, because constant short bursts of usage can shorten the life of the lamp.

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks for the help :)

Well would it still be illegal if I got 5000k Halogen bulbs?

..or is 4300k the highest legal limit?

In terms of HID's, it's just as illegal. Retrofitting HID's into a car without all the necessary components (self-levelling, headlight washers, etc) is not legal.

Halogen bulbs with specifications for colour temperature is just a load of marketing crap. They usually vary by different levels of blue tint on them. If they don't carry the appropriate ADR markings, then they aren't legal.

But with all that said, the chance of getting done for it is not likely unless you get something that is way out obvious.

In terms of HID's, it's just as illegal. Retrofitting HID's into a car without all the necessary components (self-levelling, headlight washers, etc) is not legal.

Halogen bulbs with specifications for colour temperature is just a load of marketing crap. They usually vary by different levels of blue tint on them. If they don't carry the appropriate ADR markings, then they aren't legal.

But with all that said, the chance of getting done for it is not likely unless you get something that is way out obvious.

I guess that sounds fair.

Smart thing to do would probably be to stay on the legal side of things.

Thanks again!

I guess that sounds fair.

I'm planning on becoming a Police Officer in Victoria so I should probably try to keep a low profile in making upgrades, especially illegal ones >.<

Thanks again!

Dunno bout over there, but down here police officers are some of the worst offenders when it comes to driving offences.

They like to take advantage of the fact that you can't pull a citizen's arrest on a cop for traffic offences.

getting 6000k should be fine but getting 8000k+ then you're asking for trouble.

I don't car if cars with projectors use HID but people who drive cars with reflectors with HID can die for me. Blinds everyone driving towards them.

getting 6000k should be fine but getting 8000k+ then you're asking for trouble.

Really eh? I've always used 8000k and on even one occasion, 10000k and have not once had an issue with the cops. Even when following them for a few kilometres or so. Guess Brisbane is the place to be.