09 ZRE sway bar combo

HEya,

Im looking at starting to upgrade the ZRE sus. If any one has any experience with the combo below or the parts separately, Could you please share your feedback. Cheeers! ;)

I am using the car as an everyday drive, with the weekly hard drive thru the Adelaide hills. Old drifters never die! - they end up in FF Corolla's :lol:

Firstly i need to reduce the roll, looking at Cusco rear sway(stabilizer bar) and C-One front 25mm.

Im probably going to end up getting low Eibach springs (30mm drop), leaving the standard struts till they fail.

I think there are a few quite knowledgeable sus folk out there, hopefully they can shed some light on this combo.

Thanks in advance,

D

The Melb ZRE guys (jskills, le.vinh.zr, shin0bi) have the C-One struts. You can pm them if you want, they said it was good!

I was just about to order the C-One strut, and if I got enough for Rego&Insurance (due soon), I'll get the Cusco Rear Sway as well! :D

Let me know how it all goes.

Peter.

ive got the cusco front strut and rear sway, im happy with my end result now looking into the cusco front sway but it will happen in a matter of time i guess, i wouldnt mind dropping my rear another inch or so

Charlie

are u blokes gonna be putting ur car on a race track??? wots the sway bars gonna do for u on the streets?? i was just wondering...

Don't you guys have any decent mountains around there? That's where I see such modifications showing their abilities. That said, even driving it on the street feels more stable. You tend to take corners quicker as a result though... and roundabouts become more fun.

Who needs a track when you got roads like this* :P. This is a casual drive BTW:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

* I do not advise using public roads as a substitute for the track.

are u blokes gonna be putting ur car on a race track??? wots the sway bars gonna do for u on the streets?? i was just wondering...

Don't you guys have any decent mountains around there? That's where I see such modifications showing their abilities. That said, even driving it on the street feels more stable. You tend to take corners quicker as a result though... and roundabouts become more fun.

your right about round a bouts being more fun! :D :D and it does a feel a bit more stable on the road

your right about round a bouts being more fun! :D :D and it does a feel a bit more stable on the road

Aww true charlie... how fast are u going wen ur going around a round about? maybe u take me for a spin in ur car on sunday so i can feel the difference...

Sweet charlie?

Aww true charlie... how fast are u going wen ur going around a round about? maybe u take me for a spin in ur car on sunday so i can feel the difference...

Sweet charlie?

definately heeps of difference :)

Well Ive just ordered the C-One front sway and the Cusco rear.

Ill let everyone know how they effect the cars handling once fitted.

Still undecided on springs tho.

Steering towards Eibach, due to their awesome performance and rugged testing, but i like the ride height of the lovells. Im not too keen on Kings, i just have some ad version about putting aussie parts on/in a jap car. Seems sacrilegious! (forgive me for this, i used to build JDM drifters way back, and any aussie stuff made back then was utter crap compared to the awseome build and finish quality of japanese performance parts)

Any one experienced with various springs and their qualities? I have seen a few threads dealing with this but not too many for ZRE's.

Steering towards Eibach, due to their awesome performance and rugged testing, but i like the ride height of the lovells. Im not too keen on Kings, i just have some ad version about putting aussie parts on/in a jap car. Seems sacrilegious! (forgive me for this, i used to build JDM drifters way back, and any aussie stuff made back then was utter crap compared to the awseome build and finish quality of japanese performance parts)

Any one experienced with various springs and their qualities? I have seen a few threads dealing with this but not too many for ZRE's.

If uve built drift cars n stuff, u should know wot ur doing wen it comes to suspension... u sound like a smart bloke, if u dont trust aussie companies, go for the jap parts...

JV11NL has a front strut brace, rear sway n king springs n his cars doing FINE.... Ive had no problems with my KINGS...

It just that the ZRE is my first FF car ever. Ive steered clear of FF all my life till now, and i have no idea how to set up FF. From the sounds of it, it should actually be similar to drift spec for FR. I would have never thought of that.

I guess Im just a stickler for JDM stuff :rolleyes: Tho with my Modellista rear skirt/panel, i think im going to have to go with a custom Aussie/ custom JunBL exhaust setup. I dont want to import a JDM exhaust and not have it fit oh so snug :)

That said, even driving it on the street feels more stable. You tend to take corners quicker as a result though... and roundabouts become more fun.

x2 *thumbs up!

Awesome, let us know how it goes! :)

As for springs, I recall 'phat_azn' is running Eibachs on his sedan.

Peter.

EDIT: Quick question, is it better to get front strut or rear sway first? :D

Edited by dwee.

If your looking for handling improvements, i would probably go rear sway first. From what i know, the front strut brace will "tighten" the front end. Its really a case of stiffening or boxing the front rails/subsection. This should and will improve handling, but probably to a lesser extent than the sway bars. Once you stiffen the front sway bars (increase diameter) i would recommend adding the front strut brace.

Yep Ive been in contact with 'phat_azn' re the Eibach, im waiting on a pic from Clarlie so i can see the ride height. With the Moellista front lip, i cant really go full slam on the front, or ill loose the lip!

Sorry for probable off-topic but which bars do you suggest to use? Is more always better, I mean are they all that useful and more you have them, more stable your car is, or how would I know which strut and sway bars to choose for my Auris?

Best regards, Alex

If your looking for handling improvements, i would probably go rear sway first. From what i know, the front strut brace will "tighten" the front end. Its really a case of stiffening or boxing the front rails/subsection. This should and will improve handling, but probably to a lesser extent than the sway bars. Once you stiffen the front sway bars (increase diameter) i would recommend adding the front strut brace.

Yep Ive been in contact with 'phat_azn' re the Eibach, im waiting on a pic from Clarlie so i can see the ride height. With the Moellista front lip, i cant really go full slam on the front, or ill loose the lip!

That's what I've heard as well from asking around. Rear sway first, then front sway. Front strut doesn't do much significantly as sway bars. Well, that's the general consensus from asking people's opinions.

I was just talking to my mate that owns a dc5s, he said it's better to get front & rear at the same time, and even better to get better "links" (I can't remember the exact word but the part that connects the sway bar to the main suspension bit). Is this true? Someone please confirm/comment on this. :)

dutchie101: For that Cusco rear sway you're getting, is there just one thickness available (16mm)? This one? I couldn't find it on the actual Cusco website.. :unsure:

Charlie: Is this the one you got?

Planning to get it soon. Thanks in advance. :D

Sorry for probable off-topic but which bars do you suggest to use?

This has always been a debateable topic, but if people wanted to add bars, they usually go for either front strut, front sway, rear sway or a different combination of these bars.

Is more always better, I mean are they all that useful and more you have them, more stable your car is, or how would I know which strut and sway bars to choose for my Auris?

From my knowledge, the bars you add should be decided from what handling you desire. Eg. if you want your car to oversteer/understeer more or stable in general.

To know which strut braces or sway bars are suitable for your Auris, you should find out your car model number is and search manufacturers using that model number. For example, the Corollas sold here in Australia are 'ZRE152'.

Hope that helps.

Peter.

Edited by dwee.

Thanks for the info Peter. It is pretty difficult to find anything for Auris, as there's not much parts available (at least yet). That's why I hoped if someone knew and had tested which is really best setup and could've told about how it makes this exact car to act! But I will keep on searching, this is new zone for me :)

Best regards, Alex

Generally you wouldn't want to upgrade the front sway bar in a FF as it might cause the car to understeer a bit more.

I think rear sway, then front strut and rear strut bar. Is there a rear strut bar for the zre?

Thanks for the info Peter. It is pretty difficult to find anything for Auris, as there's not much parts available (at least yet). That's why I hoped if someone knew and had tested which is really best setup and could've told about how it makes this exact car to act! But I will keep on searching, this is new zone for me :)

Best regards, Alex

There might be more parts for the Auris than you expect. Check out this thread! Wait for some of the other guys on this forum, they may be able to help you more.

Generally you wouldn't want to upgrade the front sway bar in a FF as it might cause the car to understeer a bit more.

I think rear sway, then front strut and rear strut bar. Is there a rear strut bar for the zre?

Yep, my friend told me that to have the car oversteer more in a FF, get rear sway bar and better upgrade with a smaller sway at the front. Not sure about rear strut.

I've seen that thread, and there's a similiar one on the UK forum... It's just that most of those parts are hard to get because I live in Finland and here it is pretty difficult to find distributors. Almost only way is to order by yourself, but it's not easy neither.

I am only after stability, it is my main goal. My car is allready lowered, but I cannot go too low because I am using my car on winter too. That's why I think it'd be good to use other ways to make the handling better :)

Best regards, Alex

Hey Pete i got my rear sway first and the rear felt flatter right away, then my front strut brace and right away the front felt tighter, really made a difference especially on a spirited drive such as cruises and such..Now it just feels normal but if i drive a standard one then i could see how much better it is.. If my front was a tad lower i think it would improve again, to have that raked look like standard, something to do with weight. Few ZZE owners with lows front and super lows rear mentioned it as well..

What would top it off though like my old car would be a top quality drivers seat, i had a OMP and miss it big time :(

Nothing wrong with King Springs. You think they would use them on V8 supercars, V8 ute series and production car series of racing if they were crap??? after all suspension set ups on drift cars is primitive to say the least. Just make it uber stiff with no body roll ahahahaha

I would put a rear sway bar with front strut brace. Forget front sway bar unless you like adverse under steer. If you want to put on a front sway bar then GO one stage heavier in the rear. Another thing to do with a ZRE is get the car to sit level and not like 4wd in the rear. ZZE were the same sitting some 15mm higher in the rear than the front. Make the car sit level, tie the bum down so it simply follows where you point the front wheels and set the camber and castor to suit and you car will handle nicely indeed.

Everyone seems to be quite adamant about not using front sway bars. Why would TRD offer these instead of rear sway bars then?

I agree, dirft spec is rock hard and no roll, thats why im asking for help with the FF ZRE. I have little other sus experience other than the old Capella..

Re Kings, When i did a quick stint at Pedders as a stand in manager, they manager of the SA branch told me that Kings tolerance wasnt that low, ie they would allow up to 4-5mm each spring difference! That put me off straight away. That was 6 odd years ago so things could have changed. Surely they use coil overs in V8's??

Re front sway, If i am to go one stage heavier in the rear, then with no rear sway as standard, the one stage heavier would be the cusco unit, and the c-one front, correct?

Has anyone here actually tried a front sway on the ZRE or is this all hearsay?

I just got confirmation from Eibach that the pro-kit only lowers the car 30mm lower than standard height. Will I still have a higher bum? Maybe try the Lovells? from what John is saying, handling on the ZRE is better with a higher bum...

Everyone seems to be quite adamant about not using front sway bars. Why would TRD offer these instead of rear sway bars then?

I agree, dirft spec is rock hard and no roll, thats why im asking for help with the FF ZRE. I have little other sus experience other than the old Capella..

Re Kings, When i did a quick stint at Pedders as a stand in manager, they manager of the SA branch told me that Kings tolerance wasnt that low, ie they would allow up to 4-5mm each spring difference! That put me off straight away. That was 6 odd years ago so things could have changed. Surely they use coil overs in V8's??

Re front sway, If i am to go one stage heavier in the rear, then with no rear sway as standard, the one stage heavier would be the cusco unit, and the c-one front, correct?

I just got confirmation from Eibach that the pro-kit only lowers the car 30mm lower than standard height. Will I still have a higher bum? Maybe try the Lovells? from what John is saying, handling on the ZRE is better with a higher bum...

Are you saying that if a company offers a product it has to be beneficial to the handling? It's gonna depend on your application. The upgraded front sway should be used if you have a heavy heavy duty rear sway bar.

ie on ZZEs the TRD rear sway is 23mm and solid, while stock is 19mm (on sportivos). If you were going to upgrade the front, the Hotchkies? rear sway (26mm) would neutralised the understeer.

You will find that most of the commonly known springs will sag that much as well..

I am only after stability, it is my main goal. My car is allready lowered, but I cannot go too low because I am using my car on winter too. That's why I think it'd be good to use other ways to make the handling better :)

By the looks of it, definitely get a rear sway! :)

Hey Pete i got my rear sway first and the rear felt flatter right away, then my front strut brace and right away the front felt tighter, really made a difference especially on a spirited drive such as cruises and such..Now it just feels normal but if i drive a standard one then i could see how much better it is.. If my front was a tad lower i think it would improve again, to have that raked look like standard, something to do with weight. Few ZZE owners with lows front and super lows rear mentioned it as well..

What would top it off though like my old car would be a top quality drivers seat, i had a OMP and miss it big time :(

John: Didn't you have your rears resetted? Mine looks a bit high at the rear haha.

dutchie101: How thick is the C-one front sway? Because Cusco rear sway is 16mm.. :huh:

'le.vinh.zr' (Vinh) has got the full TRD Sportivo Suspension (springs, shocks and front sway). I've driven it and steering is a hell-lot more responsive.

Peter.