the ECU & airbox recall

hey, first post.

first off, great forum guys

ive been reading this forum for a while, looking for specific info on the recall. Hears my position.

bought my 2003 sportivo in june of this year. absoltely love it. before i read this site i didnt realise it wasnt just my sportivo which had a few "glitches" though.

Had 2 different under body noise but took it into get fixed and 1 had been ironed out. the other is the really loud scraping sound from underneath, as i understand it only come on rarely so i cant be bothered trying to explain to toyota; i really dont think that they understand the scale of people with the same problems. and i deal with the crunchy gearbox by changing bout 7,5000, toyota had the nerve to tell me i should never have it near that rev band anyway, so issue was dismissed.

well anyway i would like to also know specifically what sportivos were recalled, i bought mine second hand, i would like to know if mine needed or had the recall done.

as i have not seen it yet, i think it might be a bit of an ask to see the letter that toyota sent out, but if anyone still has it, paste it on plz.

thanks

Trav

Welcome to TOCAU

Firstly, I'd be telling your dealer that he's a tool. There are numerous Service Bullitin's about these issue.

Please read the sticky thread "Sportivo Issues" for dealers.

In regards to the dealer telling you that you shouldn't have the car at 7,500rpm, then he's a knob jockey. They put rev limiters in cars for a reason, if the rev limiter allows the car to rev that high and they reckon it shouldn't, well thats their problem. Most dealers will tell you though that there is no problems with revving the car that hard (unless you live on the limiter)

thanks for the reply.

HE IS A TOOL, but hes the only genuine sevice around. so i have to stick with the tool.

but if anyone knows specifically what stivos got recalled, then ill take it to get done and get them to adjust the clutch pedal.

can someone please confirm that adjusting the clutch pedal makes shifting a bit smoother.

thanks

Trav

where abouts are you trav?

on the goldcoast.

this is the new sevice centre that went up, its farkin huge. they r open till 11pm so its pretty flexible IMO. was just a bad runin with a think-ya-know-it-all rep. even accused me of being 'one of those hoons', pretty arogant, pretty funny.

Trav

where abouts are you trav?

on the goldcoast.

this is the new sevice centre that went up, its farkin huge. they r open till 11pm so its pretty flexible IMO. was just a bad runin with a think-ya-know-it-all rep. even accused me of being 'one of those hoons', pretty arogant, pretty funny.

Trav

There should be a few dealers you can take the car to ... have a shop around.

cheers for the replys and for the cruise invite, unfortunatly with the suspension of my liscence i wont be joining you untill early january. tell you what, im haveing huge stivo withdrawals.

come january ill be an addition to the convoy. untill then ill be present on this forum, all the time remembering that all juicy lift that you all experience on a daily basis :( . hehe

so are there any obvious signs that i can look for that can tell me if it has been through the recall?

Trav

thanks for the reply.

HE IS A TOOL, but hes the only genuine sevice around. so i have to stick with the tool.

but if anyone knows specifically what stivos got recalled, then ill take it to get done and get them to adjust the clutch pedal.

can someone please confirm that adjusting the clutch pedal makes shifting a bit smoother.

thanks

Trav

Yes, It's 2 simple clutch adjustments.

1. Clutch hight adjustment.

2. Clutch push rod adjustment.

They are behind the clutch pedal, between the pedal and the fire wall.

It's been covered in this forum before, do a search and you'll find pictures as well.

The push rod is pretty difficult to do, I got Lexus of Brisbane to do both my Sportivos.

To find out if the recall has been done..

open the driver side door and there should be a sticker near the hinges of the door with the date it was fixed and i think the new code as well...

hi Redliner,

do you have the recall sticker on urs? would appreciate it if you can take a pic of it and show it to some of us. :rolleyes: *hopeful*

its okay Redliner......i've found it. a silvery type of sticker where Toyota service ppl wrote the recall date and some code. the recall on my car was done in August 2004 and i have no idea what has been done on it. how do i check as i've scanned thru the warranty booklet and can't find anything on it? :unsure:

FYI i am the 2nd owner of the car and i bought this off a Toyota dealership in Footscray. :huh:

Edited by ktse1881

thanks for all the info

i dont have the sticker, so im still wondering if it needed the recall done. maybe what i need is the code of the ecu that got changed( the faulty one). then it would be obvious.

if no one has one then thanx anyway for what was provided.

soooo, let me get this straight. the recall on my car was done in August 2004. so this recall was to re-do the settings on the ECU to give my car better power?

are we able to give the code to Toyota and ask them what has actually been done to the car? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

is it possible that i did not need the recall to be done. i dont have the sticker.

if so, it seems weird that toyota would change something in the 2004 models that didnt need changing.

mine is a 2003 july (bought second hand) tivo. i need this to be clear in my head(i hate questioning if something is wrong). do i need the recall or not?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's a pre-facelift, it needs to have had the recall carried out.

IZZ-FE is completely correct, all pre-facelift corolla's must have the recall carried out.

Its amazing what the search function brings out on this forum.

Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE (Campaign 4529E)

Date: 12/08/2004

Supplier Name: Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

Product Make: Toyota

Product Model: Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE

Target Number: 1637

Model Years From: 4 March 2002 and 21 April 2004

Consequences: Engine was assemblied with incorrect air cleaner cap and engine control computer.

Campaign Number: 4529E

VIN Range: [no data entered]

Serial Range: [no data entered]

Product Info: Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE (Campaign 4529E). Produced between 4 March 2002 and 21 April 2004.

Defect Details: The engine was assembled with incorrect air cleaner cap and engine control computers. As a result the vehicle does not match the specification covered by its approval to ECE Regulation 51/02 and hence may not comply with ADR 83/00 External Noise.

Consumer action: Contact your authorised Toyota Dealer.

thankyou for that info.

it says that there r 2 things that r out of regulation; the ecu and the external noise factor. i have been driving the car and nothing really seems to be wrong with the ecu.

is it that it is not getting the correct kw and its too loud?

feels very fast to me.

and the tone is great.

i kind of need a good reason to change this.

will it be more powerful with the recall?

will something get damaged if it isnt done?

it has taken alot to get to this point, including the factor of a toyota service rep telling me it is fine. obviously as we all know, them dudes dont know the whole deal.

has anyone known anybody that has done a dyno test before and after the recall.

it just feels stupid that the owner before me did not take it for the recall. i mean why wouldnt he.

thankyou for that info.

it says that there r 2 things that r out of regulation; the ecu and the external noise factor. i have been driving the car and nothing really seems to be wrong with the ecu.

is it that it is not getting the correct kw and its too loud?

feels very fast to me. and the tone is great.

i kind of need a good reason to change this.

will it be more powerful with the recall?

Yes

will something get damaged if it isnt done?

NO

it has taken alot to get to this point, including the factor of a toyota service rep telling me it is fine. obviously as we all know, them dudes dont know the whole deal.

Your rep is giving you the wrong information.

has anyone known anybody that has done a dyno test before and after the recall.

YES, use the search function!

it just feels stupid that the owner before me did not take it for the recall. i mean why wouldnt he.

who knows?

extensive talk about the topic has been previously discussed, please use the search function. keywords are "recall", "transmission" and "4529E".

i have owned two (2) pre-facelift stivo's (and an order for the 3rd fingers crossed) and both of them have had the recalls done, with significant improvements.