Headlight Bulb Upgrade

dixie

Hi Guys,

I have the 2009 Presara upgrade model, which I'm very impressed with, but I think the headlight high beam, is pretty hopeless. Even when country driving, when I select high beam, there appears only a marginal difference, in beam intensity.

The low beam is o'k with the self levelling, but is there a stronger globe I can exchange for the high beam? The difference between the low and high beam of my 2000 Camry was huge, compared to the 2009 Aurion.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.................Dixie. :unsure::help:

your car have hids? Hids are more brighter than the halogen high beams so in the human eye the highs appear to make little difference because of the brighter foreground lighting from hids which constrict the pupils in your eyes thus reducing vision in the distance.

You can get brighter halogens from philips, narva and many others

Edited by chicken

I'm guessing that the not so huge difference you are experiencing is like chicken said, where the brightness of the HID's reduce the difference.

I have found the Aurion high beams are actually quite bright as they are. I find them way more brighter than other cars because Toyota use HIR bulbs for the high beam. And on that topic:

You can get brighter halogens from philips, narva and many others

This statement does not apply to the Aurion high beams. The Aurion high beams are a 9011 HIR bulb only made by GE and Toshiba.

You can alternatively use a HB3/9005 bulb (available from the manufactures specified by chicken), but modifications to the bulb (trimming plastic) need to be made for it to fit.

The only exception to the above statement I made is if Toyota have changed to the HB3 bulb on the facelift model. I didn't particularly pay attention to that when I looked at one.

O'k guys, thanks for the replies. I will check with Toyota regarding the bulb fitment.

A response from Toyota may be iffy I would imagine. See they may just go by what the manual states which for the pre-facelift, states HB3. This is not the case though as it is the HIR modified HB3 that makes it a 9011 bulb.

If you want to see if it is a HIR bulb, you simply just have to look into the headlight housing from the front when you are in decent light (or using a torch), and see if the bulb looks like this... note the strange shape and slight tint around the middle of the bulb:

2bulbs338x330.png

Otherwise, if you have a good camera, just take a close up photo of the bulb through the front of the headlight, or if you are willing, you can just take your bulb out and take a photo of it and I can tell you if it is a HB3 or 9011 HIR.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DJKOR,

Sorry, I have been away for a week and only got back this morning.

O'k I had a gander inside the Headlight and the globe appears, to be like the right hand one in your snaps, but without the blue tip and there is a very faint blue tinge around it..........it's a smallish fat globe!!!

Does that tell you anything and am I able to replace it, with a stronger output globe?

Regards............Dixie. :unsure:

If you see the bluish tinge around the bulb, then I would say you have the 9011 HIR bulb. This would indicate that Toyota are still using the same bulb between pre-facelift and facelift. Normal halogen bulbs do not have any tint to them, and those that do will have a solid blue tint that is way obvious.

You can simply change the bulb out for a HB3/9005 bulb without any further modifications. The bulb socket is for a HIR 9011 bulb but is backwards compatible with a HB3/9005 bulb. HB3 bulbs are available in 60W and 100W versions, so your next step up would be the 100W ones. Sorry for any confusion earlier. I was getting the bulbs mixed up. It is the HIR 9011 bulb that has to be modified to fit into a HB3/9005 socket.

In addition to that, if you were to go that route, you would have to be careful as a higher wattage globe will (over time) create discolouration to your headlight housing which can ultimately in the end, reduce your light output below stock. You also have the potential to melt something.

If you are wanting brighter high beams without the risk of burning or melting your headlight housing, I'd suggest getting some 55 watt HID's. They will wear quicker in comparison to standard HID's because of the constant on/off cycles, but they will be way brighter and not produce any extra heat.

Here are photos I just took then of the high beam out of my Aurion just for reference:

dsc05634.jpg

dsc05636q.jpg

dsc05640g.jpg

If you see the bluish tinge around the bulb, then I would say you have the 9011 HIR bulb. This would indicate that Toyota are still using the same bulb between pre-facelift and facelift. Normal halogen bulbs do not have any tint to them, and those that do will have a solid blue tint that is way obvious.

You can simply change the bulb out for a HB3/9005 bulb without any further modifications. The bulb socket is for a HIR 9011 bulb but is backwards compatible with a HB3/9005 bulb. HB3 bulbs are available in 60W and 100W versions, so your next step up would be the 100W ones. Sorry for any confusion earlier. I was getting the bulbs mixed up. It is the HIR 9011 bulb that has to be modified to fit into a HB3/9005 socket.

In addition to that, if you were to go that route, you would have to be careful as a higher wattage globe will (over time) create discolouration to your headlight housing which can ultimately in the end, reduce your light output below stock. You also have the potential to melt something.

If you are wanting brighter high beams without the risk of burning or melting your headlight housing, I'd suggest getting some 55 watt HID's. They will wear quicker in comparison to standard HID's because of the constant on/off cycles, but they will be way brighter and not produce any extra heat.

Here are photos I just took then of the high beam out of my Aurion just for reference:

dsc05634.jpg

dsc05636q.jpg

dsc05640g.jpg

Hello,

Just had a read of you post and might have something to add. just maybe...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/philips-CrystalVisi...=item53defe0901

I bought these globes and they are the HB3 9005 and for them to fit i had to shave some plastic off

so just to reiterate what you said, i could put 100W HB3 globes in and it would be fine?, i also take they would have a much shorter life spand?

Cheers mate

Edited by stedyedy

i installed 55w HID... very long throw and *bright*...

i could take some pics for you if you want to see it...

Yes I would thanks, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks also to DJKOR for your reply and info. I am a bit of a novice at automotive electronics, but I think you are telling me to instal the 55 watt HID's or is it the HB3/9005 bulb!!! :huh::help:

To make it idiot simple for me .............what globe and/or part number do you recommend I instal, for a more powerful and brighter high beam?? :unsure:

Regards.............Dixie.

Thanks also to DJKOR for your reply and info. I am a bit of a novice at automotive electronics, but I think you are telling me to instal the 55 watt HID's or is it the HB3/9005 bulb!!! :huh::help:

To make it idiot simple for me .............what globe and/or part number do you recommend I instal, for a more powerful and brighter high beam?? :unsure:

It goes against my recommendations of not putting HID's in your high beams... but for the cost of them these days and for what you want to do.... I would highly suggest putting HID's in your high beams.

In this case, the pros of having a brighter high beam without the risk of melting/burning your headlight housing, outweigh the cons of a shorter lifespan for the HID's due to the constant on/off cycles they will experience.

so just to reiterate what you said, i could put 100W HB3 globes in and it would be fine?, i also take they would have a much shorter life spand?

Well yeah, you can put 100 watt HB3's in there (even if you have to shave a little plastic off as you confirmed) and they should give you a brighter output. However, my previous statement about possibly burning your headlight housing still applies. This is a result of the extra heat that is radiated from a higher wattage bulb.

To answer your other question as well, in theory the 100W bulbs should last just as long as the 60W ones as they are built for the higher output.

O'k thanks for that I think I have it. Now can I get the 55w HID's from Toyota for my highbeams, or are they an aftermarket item. Is it just a matter of removing the socket from the headlight and replacing the new globe?

Regards.................Dixie. :)

Edited by dixie

O'k thanks for that I think I have it. Now can I get the 55w HID's from Toyota for my highbeams, or are they an aftermarket item. Is it just a matter of removing the socket from the headlight and replacing the new globe?

Regards.................Dixie. :)

Toyota wouldn't sell such a thing. Follow the recommendations in my FAQ:

Q) Where can I get those white/blue headlights that everyone is getting? What size bulbs do my headlights take?

A)
The white/blue headlights you would probably be thinking of are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights. You can get HID's in a kit form that include a pair of ballasts (required to drive the lamp), two lamps, and all the wiring. They are plug and play kits and really simple to install. They are cheapest to obtain online, and how much you want to spend depends on how much you are comfortable with.

Your low beams and fog lights both use H11 bulbs. The high beams will take a HB3 bulb.

Threads of interest:

If you chose eBay, just search for something like "HB3 55W HID".

O'k thanks again for that. I was just in town, so for curiosity sake, I dropped into my Toyota dealer and queried the bulbs.

They didn't have a clue what I was talking about :lol: I then dropped over to my local auto electrician, who was pretty clued up but stated, with the HID bulbs and ballast kits, it can get quite expensive to convert.

He told me, I have the HIR1 65W Halogen bulbs installed (which you are aware of) but could possibly do the job quite cheaper, by changing to a Philips +30%, +50%, or even a +80% halogen bulb with the HB3 9005 fitting!!!!!!

That would increase my high beam output to 84W or 97W or even 117W, without any extra heat or use of power.

The second option of course, would be to fit the 6000K 55W HID bulbs with appropriate ballasts. This would give me a whiter, brighter and cleaner ouput and probably achieve my objective, but would the HID's be brighter and throw more light than the 117W halogens?

I have checked ebay and a couple of wholesale stores in Sydney and the cost to purchase, is between about $40 to $540, although I believe the average handyman, could fit them in about an hour!!

What's would you advice now? Sorry to keep bugging you on this matter....but the more you ask the more you learn!

Regards...................Dixie.

... but stated, with the HID bulbs and ballast kits, it can get quite expensive to convert.

Look at my previous link. eBay is your friend here. I'm using a $70 kit and have had it for 1.5-2 years so far with no problems whatsoever.

He told me, I have the HIR1 65W Halogen bulbs installed (which you are aware of) but could possibly do the job quite cheaper, by changing to a Philips +30%, +50%, or even a +80% halogen bulb with the HB3 9005 fitting!!!!!!

These are a bit iffy. On top of that, for the price you are paying, you would get a higher output from HID. But if you really wanted to get a +XX% bulb, I'd suggest getting Osram Nightbreakers... but that is if you really insist on changing bulbs.

Want to know why? Here is the kicker. The HIR bulb beleive it or not was tested and here is what was found:

The comparison between a 9005 high beam and an HIR 9011 high beam was even more impressive, 30 versus 65 on the meter, for a
116%
improvement over stock and again with the same wattage (65) as stock.

but would the HID's be brighter and throw more light than the 117W halogens?

The 55W ones will without a doubt. If you are referring to a non-HIR +80% halogen bulb (meaning a supposed 117W) be prepared for this... a 35W HID would beat it.

The thing here is the HIR bulb is a proper patented bulb technology that produces a higher output for a given wattage compared to those other +XX% bulbs on the market.

I have had my presara for 2.5 years now and have never thought that the high beam was dull.

I spend every day whilst traveling to and from work (40 minutes each way) with the low beam on (these have a MTBF of 3000 hours) and half the year with the high beam on in the morning whilst traveling in the dark.

How well will HID lamps work in a light that is not designed for it? Don't your low beams have a projector lens? Surely the light will not be focused but scattered albeit more available light.

If 55W HID lamps are as bright as 100W or greater lamps you will have to dim them earlier so as not to blind oncoming drivers?

The extra light on high beam is quite noticeable once out of town (away from street lights etc). With the high beam on they light up the guide posts and signs etc for much further than the observable light.

If you are not out on the open road away from other lighting then the visual effective usability of the high beam will seem greatly reduced.

Also note in NSW it is illegal to upgrade your high beam to HID lights even if you have then as low beam.

I have also had numerous people in the car who have commented on how bright the high beam is.

Each to their own, I have learnt that people on the forum end up following the information re-enforced by the numbers/others.

I have said it before as well that the stock HIR lights are quite bright and it is true that the darker your surroundings, the brighter they appear.

If 55W HID lamps are as bright as 100W or greater lamps you will have to dim them earlier so as not to blind oncoming drivers?

Correct. However I'm not sure how others use their high beams, but the moment I see oncoming headlights even far in the distance, I dip my headlights immediately. On the open road, this is how other drivers use their high beams... even before you can see the front of their car on a bend in the road... and that can be ages away.

Also note in NSW it is illegal to upgrade your high beam to HID lights even if you have then as low beam.

On that topic, it should be noted that any aftermarket HID conversion (if not a complete OEM kit built for the car including automatic levelling and headlight washers) is completely illegal. That doesn't stop most people though.

... I have learnt that people on the forum end up following the information re-enforced by the numbers/others.

Despite the fact that suggesting HID's is not a great answer considering they are illegal, the fact of the matter is that dixie here is not satisfied with his high beam output. Just telling him that it's all in his head isn't really a satisfying answer, so the suggestions here are to help satisfy his needs/wants.

As usual Daryl you jumped right in ready to make assumptions based on my comments.

I did not offer any advice nor did I say it was all in his head, I simply stated an opinion (mine alone) which has been know to be extreamist, radical and way off the mark by people on the forum.

But let me have my say on this open forum just the same as anyone else whether you agree, or ask one of the moderator to ban me because until then I will exercise my right to make comments regardless of others opinions of my knowledge or experience.

I have no issue with you personally just the berating of any input by me.

As usual Daryl you jumped right in ready to make assumptions based on my comments.

Usual? I've only made one reply to you based on an assumption, and that was more of an observation based question with a joke at the end:

You seem really into this fuel economy craze there fuel miser? Why didn't you buy a hybrid or something
:lol:

That was in no way calling you an extremist. It was stating how you are focussed on a subject matter more than others. Just like how people here joke about the knowledge I have of my car, when in fact I am no expert... I just have nothing better to do:

Daryl, I'm beginning to suspect you are moonlighting for Toyota.
:lol:
Your are a FREAK Daryl to know where that came from!
:toast:
+1 agreed a total Toyota freak ;)

I don't feel like people are calling me an extremist when I hear things like this. I just see it as their way of stating their observations based on things I have said.

I did not offer any advice nor did I say it was all in his head, I simply stated an opinion (mine alone) which has been know to be extreamist, radical and way off the mark by people on the forum.

But let me have my say on this open forum just the same as anyone else whether you agree, or ask one of the moderator to ban me because until then I will exercise my right to make comments regardless of others opinions of my knowledge or experience.

I have no issue with you personally just the berating of any input by me.

That was in no way meant to be going against your comment. I was just stating my reasons to give a suggestion which would appear to me more as advise than a recommendation.

There is always always more than one opinion and these have the right to be stated in any forum. You have made yours and I have made mine.

I in fact agree with your statement and I would imagine others following the suggestions given here. I myself stated in the first post that:

I'm guessing that the
not so huge difference you are experiencing is like chicken said
, where the brightness of the HID's reduce the difference.

I have found the Aurion high beams are actually quite bright as they are.

Which would appear that I am saying that the dim appearance of his light is all in his head, which is what I personally would have said and left it at that, because I do think the HIR1 bulb is quite bright, but instead I have provided advice that is illegal and not ideal for general road use because I wanted to provide the most efficient answer to solve his problem with minimal fuss. I was feeding words that he would want to hear.

Just because I am replying to a post of yours, this doesn't mean that I am singling you out. I have made numerous upon numerous replies to other posts stating my opinion which would be a complete opposite to the person whom I was replying to. Others have done the exact same to me. It's part of discussion. My intentions were not to state the opposite of your statement, but to reinforce reasons for why people tend to follow advice given by others on the forums.

I am not berating your responses. I never said that I disagree with your opinions. In that reply I made, I was simply giving my opinion as to why you have observed such behaviour on the forums.

Hi Guys,

I think I may be biting off, more than I can chew here and creating a mountain out of a mole hill, as I am getting more confused by the minute, with regards to getting better performance out of my high beams.

I wasn't aware it was illegal in NSW to install aftermarket HID's that weren't OEM!!! I certainly am not interested in creating problems for myself or voiding a warranty on a vehicle only 5 weeks old :(

All I want to do, is a simple upgrade to my high beam globes, to get a better light output and more distance.

I have read the contents, that DJKOR has provided at http://hirheadlights.com and this is probably the way I should and need to go, without any dramas. DJKOR, where am I able to buy a couple of the Toshiba HIR 9011 65W globes in Australia??

As I read it, the Toshiba HIR 9011 can replace a stock 9005/HB3 bulb, is this the bulb I have in the Aurion, which in my manual states it's a 65W HIR1 (how bloody confusing) :angry:

Is the Toshiba HIR 9011 65W.....the bulb I am after, to give me stronger high beam........yes/no??

Sheez, I've got a splitting headache, I wish I could grasp this ****!!! :(

Sorry again guys for my ignorance :(

Regards..................Dixie.

I have read the contents, that DJKOR has provided at http://hirheadlights.com and this is probably the way I should and need to go, without any dramas. DJKOR, where am I able to buy a couple of the Toshiba HIR 9011 65W globes in Australia??

As I read it, the Toshiba HIR 9011 can replace a stock 9005/HB3 bulb, is this the bulb I have in the Aurion, which in my manual states it's a 65W HIR1 (how bloody confusing) :angry:

Is the Toshiba HIR 9011 65W.....the bulb I am after, to give me stronger high beam........yes/no??

Your car already comes fitted with the Toshiba HIR1 65W bulbs. Changing the bulbs to a +80% may not give you a brighter output because of the high efficiency of the HIR bulbs. Therefore, to go brighter, you need either a higher wattage bulb or HID's... both of which are illegal. Yep, putting in brighter highbeams is against the Australian Design Rules and is potentially a defect as it's higher wattage than the provided stock bulb.

O'k thank you for that. I guess I can try the Philips Halogen +80% to see if there is a difference. The company states 80% more intensity without extra heat or power use increase, so it can't hurt to experiment.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards...............Dixie.