2GR-FE VVT-i Oil Line Replacement

DJKOR

Hey Guys,

i got my VVTi hose replaced today along with the dash and central console rattle fixed, i took a few pics of the car totally riped apart so will post them later for everybody to have a look at. They pretty much wreck the cars lol :S

Also yes all the rubber hose p/n: 04009-33131 do have a yellow stripe on them, although the Tarago hose is slightly different.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you want the drivetrain removed from your car to fit the pipe?

Rubber hose of the appropriate spec is more than adequate in that location, should get at least 10 years out if it before it starts to degrade.

Toyota use rubber hose on oil cooling systems with double spring clamps etc, right next to exhaust headers, they only seem to leak after 15 years.

It also wouldn't suprise me if the change to a single metal hose was also a cost reduction excercise for toyota. Costs them a lot less to manufacture a single piece compared to manufacturing and stocking the 2 metal pipes, hose and clamps.

Why would the drive train need complete removal just to use the metal pipe over the one with a rubber join? Just taking a quick look at it from the side I can't see why fitting a proper metal pipe would take any extra time over the rubber one...

The main concern I have in relation to the replacement hose, is if they didn't pick up whatever issue caused the leak in the original hose - then what's to say there isn't another issue with the new one? Having a rubber hose, with a clip on either end sounds more like three single points of failure - as opposed to a one-piece metal tube.

Just taking a quick look at it from the side I can't see why fitting a proper metal pipe would take any extra time over the rubber one...

Look at my DIY from page 1. I would have to say that it was difficult to try and change the pipe and I have tiny Asian hands (as in my fist is about the size of those stubby 250mL Coke cans). It even scratched up my hand pretty well. I don't think Toyota would go through such effort to change the pipe.

Received a letter in the mail yesterday advising of the fault and to make a time to have it replaced.

My brother in law owns his own workshop but unfortunately he can't do it as it's a warranty repair..... Looks like

I'll just have to let a 1st year do it !

Toddy

Just taking a quick look at it from the side I can't see why fitting a proper metal pipe would take any extra time over the rubber one...

Look at my DIY from page 1. I would have to say that it was difficult to try and change the pipe and I have tiny Asian hands (as in my fist is about the size of those stubby 250mL Coke cans). It even scratched up my hand pretty well. I don't think Toyota would go through such effort to change the pipe.

Yeah it does look like it would be an absolute pain to change... something I definitely wouldn't consider myself for this exact reason (and of course warranty!) - but Toyota is going to replace it regardless, so they would have to go through the same effort regardless of whether it is the metal or the rubber pipe...

Or am I missing something here?

Yeah it does look like it would be an absolute pain to change... something I definitely wouldn't consider myself for this exact reason (and of course warranty!) - but Toyota is going to replace it regardless, so they would have to go through the same effort regardless of whether it is the metal or the rubber pipe...

Or am I missing something here?

Effort wise, for them it is much easier (therefore cost efficient) to change just the rubber hose. This way, the two metal ends stay attached to the engine, and they just remove and replace only the rubber piece. This can all be done from the top of the engine bay. Changing to the metal pipe will require more effort and for them, the most efficient fix is what they will choose.

Effort wise, for them it is much easier (therefore cost efficient) to change just the rubber hose. This way, the two metal ends stay attached to the engine, and they just remove and replace only the rubber piece. This can all be done from the top of the engine bay. Changing to the metal pipe will require more effort and for them, the most efficient fix is what they will choose.

Oh I was under the impression the entire pipe would be replaced... I can understand why this is probably easier for them to replace by itself.

I think I might just fight for the metal pipe regardless though. If the metal hose is used on the newer models, there is obviously a good reason.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I need peoples help/opinion

Where is the yellow line meant to be?

Is it possible that they said they changed it but either didnt change ii at all or put a new old (not improved) oil line in?

see the pic attached. thanks!

post-14100-1260572902_thumb.jpg

I need peoples help/opinion

Where is the yellow line meant to be?

Is it possible that they said they changed it but either didnt change ii at all or put a new old (not improved) oil line in?

see the pic attached. thanks!

I'm not too sure mate. I can kind of see something in that photo that looks yellow but you need to get it in brighter light or a camera with a flash.

Off that topic though, I just find it funny in a way how everyone is panicking like crazy, yet all the fuss that I have heard about these hoses busting are from the States. I haven't really heard of any cases in Australia so far. Not saying it can't happen because it is the same part you would think.... but still.

It's like the massive talk about accelerators getting stuck WOT on the American Camry's due to either floormats or throttle ECU issues. I'm yet to hear of an Australian case.

Off that topic though, I just find it funny in a way how everyone is panicking like crazy, yet all the fuss that I have heard about these hoses busting are from the States. I haven't really heard of any cases in Australia so far. Not saying it can't happen because it is the same part you would think.... but still.

It's like the massive talk about accelerators getting stuck WOT on the American Camry's due to either floormats or throttle ECU issues. I'm yet to hear of an Australian case.

I completely agree, but if **** hits the fan 300,000km later on all the 2GR-FE it will turn into a big 'I TOLD YOU SO' and Toyota will lose some consumer trust. But then again, googling 2GR-FE maintenance in years to come should spark something in your brain to get the line replaced maybe every 200,000km.

Does anyone else have a pic of there new oil line with the yellow line on it?

Local Toyota replaced mine at the last service, 60K (last week).

Pitty they refuse to fix the transmission because there is no official fix (out of topic).

Edited by Adrian

Local Toyota replaced mine at the last service, 60K (last week).

Pitty they refuse to fix the transmission because there is no official fix (out of topic).

Yeah i also got the recall letter will have to see what they do :rolleyes: PROLLY WAIT TILL NEXT SERVICE dont see why we should lose the car for a day over that little line..

Yeah, had mine done today, its got a faint/fading yellow stripe near the edge.

Hey thanks for the picture! But could you do me a small favour! Could you zoom out a bit with the camera and maybe with like Paint, put an arrow pointing towards the hose? I still can't seem to figure out which one it is, because if mine isnt done yet I want to get it done before my Aurions warranty expires!

By the way, are these replacements free of charge?

If the hose has not been changed, what should I say to the toyota dealer when I call up?

I'm asking because I bought a used Aurion from a dealer yesterday.

Hey thanks for the picture! But could you do me a small favour! Could you zoom out a bit with the camera and maybe with like Paint, put an arrow pointing towards the hose? I still can't seem to figure out which one it is, because if mine isnt done yet I want to get it done before my Aurions warranty expires!

The hose is the part with the yellow mark on it. If you enlarge the picture that Lewie posted, you will see the yellow line is on the black rubber hose. This is the part that you should be looking at. If you still can't picture it... have a look at the very first post of this thread.

The hose is the part with the yellow mark on it. If you enlarge the picture that Lewie posted, you will see the yellow line is on the black rubber hose. This is the part that you should be looking at. If you still can't picture it... have a look at the very first post of this thread.

Yeah I see the yellow line. But what I wanted to know is where the hose is? Like when I pop the front, where in the engine bay should I even be looking to find this hose in particular?

All the pictures are only photos of the hose, but where is it in the engine? Where should I be looking? I can't even make out where abouts in the engine the photos have been taken from.

Edited by unique

Yeah I see the yellow line. But what I wanted to know is where the hose is? Like when I pop the front, where in the engine bay should I even be looking to find this hose in particular?

All the pictures are only photos of the hose, but where is it in the engine? Where should I be looking? I can't even make out where abouts in the engine the photos have been taken from.

Sigh... May I direct you to an answer at the very top of page 2... of this same thread:

You can see this part without having to remove anything.

Check here:

hoselocation.jpg

Tube only design from a 2009 model:

2009tube.jpg

Doh! I never actually went to page 2. I didn't even know there were pictures, I thought it was just post 1 and 2 on the first page.

My bad, well thanks heaps for that.

Okay, when I check it out tomorrow at the dealer before I pick it up, if its not the correct hose, is there anything I can do to get it changed? Should I just give Toyota a call and ask or will somehow the letter come to my house if Toyota finds out that someone has bought a Aurion.

Edited by unique

Hey guys. Dubai owner of an Aurion manufactured in Australia. After going through all the replies on this issue, the first thing I did was to run to my Aurion and check the VVT-i oil line.....I am happy to say its all metal :lol: !!!! I got my Aurion from the dealer in April this year (meaning the car was shipped in Jan-Feb this year from Australia, since the dealer here always keeps suitable stock of all models). This means that Toyota Australia has taken care of this issue atleast from the end of last year, lucky for me! But the best way to be sure is to check yourself! I was worried since I use energy conserving thin 5W-30 oil (Caltex Energy)in the HOT weather in Dubai (for smooth acceleration), and even the slightest leak could have been catastrophic. I am attaching the pic of what it looks like under my Aurion's bonnet (appologies for borrowing the pic from DJKOR).

post-13476-1260901409_thumb.jpg

When collecting my TRD after its 60k service I was told that a pipe/hose replacement is being tested for the TRD's VVTi oil line (which as stated in this thread is different to the N/A 2GR oil line) and that notifications should be out soon.

Hi guys, got my aurion last night. Great car :toast:

I'm not sure if mine has been replaced, but if you look at the picture, is Number 1 meant to be replaced or Number 2?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5127/dscn2338.jpg

Both.. That is all one part.

There should be a yellow line on the section you have marked as 2. It is easy to see in the light and should be located on the left hand side of the rubbery part when facing the engine the same as in your picture.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked, no yellow line or anything. So my next question is, according to my service book, the car just got serviced. And the next one is 7500KM away.

Since I bought the car from a ford dealer yesterday, should I wait if any letter comes or should I call up Melbourne City Toyota and enquire about it or wait for a letter (if I even do get one) or just get it fixed 7500Km when I have to go back and get the car serviced again.

My only concern is that, since I got my 2007 build aurion a week ago. I'm wondering if I will ever get a letter because I did not get my Aurion from a Toyota Dealer but from a Ford dealer but it still has Toyota Warranty until March 2010.

Edited by unique