28 replies to this topic

#1 delza_6170

delza_6170

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model:'08 Aurion SX-6

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

I have an '08 aurion sx-6 and I'm looking at getting the windows tinted, I read up somewhere that some tinting film can interfere with the radio antenna, when they are inside the window, as the are in aurions. Can anyone please shed some light on this topic.

Thanks a lot :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DJKOR

DJKOR

2GR-FZE

• TOC Supporter
  • 10,364 posts
  • First Name:D
  • Toyota Model:TRD Aurion 3500SL
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

They are referring to metallic tints. A metallic tint can interfere with the radio antenna that is fixed to the rear window glass. It is advised not to use a metallic tint film on the rear window, but this doesn't necessarily mean you can't get away with it. AM will be a bit more sensitive to a metallic tint than FM.

On my last Sportivo, I had Midnight Express window tinting all round (which is a metallic tint) and this had no negative effects on my radio reception. You situation can vary though, so it's your choice.

Also, a search would have yielded this result which has some discussion that could be of use:

Window Tinting advice

#3 mr_grumble2010

mr_grumble2010

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Toyota Model:2009 ZR6 Aurion

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

I had mine done recently in 'midnight express' from Tintacar which is a metallic film, no difference in radio reception AM / FM.
I would imagine if there were a difference, it would be more noticable in fringe areas with questionable reception to start with.

Steve

#4 daniel76

daniel76

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion sportivo

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:53 AM

I got my aurion sportivo done 2 days ago from The Tint Professor and it looks great and the radio works just like it did before i got it done. They know what to use and what not to use.

#5 delza_6170

delza_6170

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

ok thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking about getting an "octane" tint from tint-a-car, its meant to be a 3 layer film and its about $365. The guy said he'd do 35% on the front doors and 20% on the back doors and rear window.

#6 conroe

conroe

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Toyota Model:Toyota Aurion

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

My experience as a tinter, metallised film have very little effect on the radio especially the FM band.
As DJkor stated, most likely the effect will be felt on the lower frequency band such as AM band and this varies between car manufacturers and depending on where the car happens to be used most of the time, eg around the city fringe or say within 30-40kms radius of the CBD.

If people feels deterred because of this possible effect, they can always opt for dyed film. However for obvious reason generally dyed film is inferior to metallised film eg for heat absorption/reflection and fading. So it is up to the individual on how they feel.

We will soon be moving to digital radios and this effect will probably no longer apply in the near future.

#7 delza_6170

delza_6170

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

ok then, so what do you guys think about as to the darkness of the tint, coz i read somewhere else that you could get away with 20% on the aurion, what do you guys think?

#8 VF-X

VF-X

Advanced Member

• TOC Supporter
  • 2,375 posts
  • First Name:Vick
  • Toyota Model:Aurion ZR
  • Year: 2007

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Legal is 35% enough said.

You might / might not able to get away with 20%... It's your choice.. You should outweigh the risk and benefit out of it.

#9 SecaBoy

SecaBoy

Bogan

• TOC Supporter
  • 2,389 posts
  • Toyota Model:FG FORD XR6T
Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

i would STRONGLY suggest that you stay at a legal tint darkness... aside from the legality side of things (ie insurance, cops, etc.) you will have trouble seeing out of the window when reversing at night..

i had one step darker than legal on my trd and i literally had to put my windows down to be able to reverse safely at night...

#10 carlover1992

carlover1992

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

I myself am getting tinting.

Octane or Midnight Express?

Which one? Thoughts?

#11 czaja74

czaja74

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion Touring SE

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

I'm in the same boat. Stripped my old tint and now trying to decide between above two.

#12 Kenpo

Kenpo

Advanced Member

• TOC Supporter
  • 253 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion AT-X

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

ok then, so what do you guys think about as to the darkness of the tint, coz i read somewhere else that you could get away with 20% on the aurion, what do you guys think?

I myself have gotten a 20% tint on all round. It's been about 5 months now, and have had no problems. But hey, it's only a matter of time?
Personally, if I could go back and choose again.. I'd go the 35%, mainly because I've seen the 35% tint on other Aurions and it's looked just as good.
Stay on the legal side, 35% is all you need.

#13 czaja74

czaja74

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion Touring SE

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

Just had my car done with 35% Octane at Tint The Car Essendon. Paid $350. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

#14 Mr Toyoda

Mr Toyoda

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Toyota Model:2009 Camry Ateva

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

I am annoyed that you can't tint front windscreens anymore. Never had an issue before. The nanny state rears its ugly head & mandates an ever increasing raft of rules & regulations!

#15 Vijith555

Vijith555

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Toyota Model:Aurion Sportivo ZR6

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

I got to get my car tinted too..but im trying to decide whats the difference between Octane and Midnight Express? I had midnight express on my old car and as far as i know that is the darkest legal tint, unless this octane is darker? My main question is are both of these the same level of darkness or different?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users