Echo - Change Auto Transmission oil

bradje

Hello,

I have a 2004 echo (auto) and I want to change the auto-transmission oil after 200K kms

When reading about this, watching videos etc, there seems to be a range of opinions on even whether to do the change or not??

My preference is to just do a simple drain and refill. Happy to let whatever metal bits have accumulated to be left trapped inside on the magnet. My guess is they won't be moving anywhere, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

However, I cannot find a specific video, or even manual picture, that identifies the exact plug that needs to be loosened in order to drain the fluid.

Can someone pls supply a clear pic, or link, which shows the exact plug (nut) to loosen so the fluid will drain?

Many thx,

JB

• 5 months later...

It's a bolt on the bottom of the transmission pan. I think from memory 14mm socket or it may be smaller 12mm.  There are many bolts going around the edge of the pan. But the one you want for a basic drain is the bolt in the center of the pan. 

JB sounds like you want to do it. It isn't hard to do the basic drain &?refill. 

Mat 200k it's good maintenance.

drop the old red most likely brown by now fluid from the bottom of the transmission pan. Once the fluid has drained out, replace the bolt and tighten. 

Then find the transmission dipstick from the top engine bay. Remove the stick and via that tube you pour in the new fluid. Use the dipstick level to see how much fluid to add or measure the quantity of fluid that you dropped out from the bottom earlier. 

It takes 10-20 mins

there's friction and best to replace the filter as well inside the pan but that is a bigger job  

Thx Fred. Shall be getting on to this asap.

BTW, what oil should I get for the transmission from Supercheap?

Cheers

JB

Edited by bradje

Suggest you do a Google search for "Lubricant Guide" and then select from the search results.

Your vehicle require a full synthetic ATF  Personally, I have bought the Chief brand of synthetic ATF at Supercheap mainly because of price.

Otherwise, I would be considering PENRITE. Also consider doing a drain of the transmission fluid more than once.

Ahhh, now I had not considered doing more than one drain, but it makes sense. I guess doing so a couple of weeks apart would be the go???

And thx for the Penrite recommendation. I use their engine oil and have always found it to be without problems. Has kept the little Echo going for 210,000kms without a glitch!

Cheers,

JB

Best to check which model transmission is fitted to your Echo e.g. U440E

After 210,000KM, the transmission filter is also due for replacement. Assuming that you can easily get to all of the fasteners on the transmission pan, it should be a straightforward task.

If the Echo is similar to the Camry, then there will be cooler lines going to and from the transmission and the cooler at the bottom of the radiator. By disconnecting the return hose back to the transmission, you can fully flush the transmission for a complete fluid change.

Total oil capacity is about 5.6 litres and the drain and fill is only 2.1 litres. Therefore 2.1 litres of new oil will be mixed with 3.5 litres of old oil, 100 percent old oil will become 62.5 percent after first drain, 39 percent after 2nd drain, 24 percent after 3rd drain and 15 percent after 4th drain,

Personally, I have done a transmission flush using the oil line disconnect procedure on my 1998 Toyota Camry.

Recently, I have changed the transmission filter on my Toyota Aurion. At the time, I could not easily locate the cooler lines to do the transmission flush.  While the pan was off, I used degreaser to clean whatever transmission internals were visible and to thoroughly clean the transmission pan. About 2 weeks later, I did a drain and fill. I was planning upon replacing the transmission filter again after 40,000KM 

For preventative maintenance reasons, I have been using XADO treatment products in the engine and transmission etc. So if you keep your vehicles long term, do yuour internet searches and work out whether it is worthwhile for you.