Moving to Sydney

JBop

Moving to Sydney  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello eastern staters!

Greetings from the west (being Perth). I recently met some really cool ppl from Sydney while in Melbourne and it got me thinking...maybe i should consider makin the move over there.

I wanted to get some opinions from ppl living in Sydney. I'm not too worried about finding a job, it's the accommodation that's worrying me as i've heard it's pretty costly over there.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of finding a place to rent (internet would be good)? We get the Sydney Morning Herald here, so maybe that's a good place to start? Just to get an idea of how much the cost of living is over there.

Any thoughts???

At the risk of sounding racist, are there any particular cultures or groups of ppl you would prefer (or not prefer) to live around?

Sydney CBD is good i guess if you want to work in the City and wont have a car to drive around.

Surry Hills and Redfern (which is next to Central - also located in the CBD), I'd probably tend to stay away from as there are higher breakin (from what i hear) in that area compared to other nearby CBD locations.

Suburbwise -

Strathfield - Transport is great, frequent trains to the CBD. Predominately Korean

Parramatta - Is ok too, but there are a large majority of Indians (mainly student types - ie messy and loud) living in the units surrounding the station and shopping centre

Anywhere on the Bankstown line starting from Campsie heading out west isnt that great (lived in that area all my life), seems to me there are more d!ckheads in the area surrounding those train lines than any othe region, and train service on that sux as well. :)

Edited by neK

no where in sydney is "cheap". I think your best bet is to have a REAL good look around real estate sites.

also, it depends on where your job is based. driving around sydney can be a bitch, so be careful

my suggestion is, have a look at suburbs that you think sound "ok", and the sydney siders will give you feed back

IMO, stay clear of of south west sydney (no offense to anyone here), its just not my cup of tea

2cents added

pete

Also try:

www.domain.com.au

www.justlisted.com.au

Beware, driving and catching public transport can be quite overwhelming over here especially during peak hour. Don't give any money to the beggars that sit right in the middle of the busiest foot paths in the CBD.

Well apart from our terrible road condition, heavy peak hour traffic, overcrowding of trains, and at the moment low rent vacancies (means you have a harder time finding a rental place and if you do it costs a fortune), its not too bad living in Sydney. :)

my best mate is in syd and i go up every 3 months to chill with him. the latest trip being across the easter break.

Tbh i think that people in sydney are colder and more agressive then in the rest of the country.

Not to mention the price of real estate and rental are disproportionately high to the level of pay compared to the rest of the country.

This line from you worries me: "I recently met some really cool ppl from Sydney while in Melbourne and it got me thinking...maybe i should consider makin the move over there."

(1) You met a bunch of nice people who were on holiday, fair enough, but who is their grouchy normal self whilst on holiday? you'll most likely be more relaxed and carefree.

(2) Your're asking a bunch of people you don't know over the internet of an unknown age, income, maturity level about this big move in your life? what's next, we find you a wife?

I may sound harsh, but hey at least i'm lookign out for ya.

From what I've gathered from talking to different people and visiting Perth..... your cost of living will be significantly higher (but if you get a job here the pay should be proportionate), the people aren't as nice, the city isn't as easy to get around, and we're in the middle of a rental crisis so you might not find somewhere to live straight away.

Agreed with negatron also.... what if you make the seachange and hate it? It can be a beautiful city but it can also be a royal pain in the ****.

I live in Sydney, and i have to agree that people in Sydney aren't as nice as people in other states (QLD people are friendly!)

I'm only young but i was planning to move out with my brother this year (to Parramatta - right next to my work!) and that got shotdown cos i wont be able to afford $300 p/w without being a tightass. Sydney is hella expensive compared to other states (friend who used to live in QLD was cheering over there until she moved here). If you want an estimate on how much a 2bedroom apartment costs in Parramatta (and Parramatta is still 20mins drive away from City) i'd say $250,000 - $350,000 (depending on how new it is)

I even heard our groceries are expensive - i spend about $50 - $60 on groceries p/w (and thats usually just breakfast + lunch)

Weather is also retarded here too, its always changing. One day is freezing then next day is hot and raining :blink:

Public transport? i cant compare this to other states, but ours sucks - overcrowded and usually late. Thats why i've given up and just drive now.

Driving isnt the solution though. Crazy traffic jams during peak on the motorways cos i dont think Sydney people know how to drive haha.

Nightlife? It's ok - we sure know how to live it up during bigevents!

If your going to come to Sydney - be prepared to adapt, cos i think Sydney is the least laid back state.

driving in sydney is horrible, transport ain't that great either!

Having lived in Melbourne and Sydney (currently) proportionately... and no offense to sydneysiders. I still prefer Melbourne, being more laid back.

rent is OK, you get what you paid for (most of the time), best to examine the property before signing the contract, do 6mths lease so at least if you don't like it you can move.

Don't do it man... Sydney is crap...

It's a great place to visit but after 2 months, you'll be over it already.

Traffic Sucks

Public Transport is no better

Rental is a nightmare

Property is impossible to afford in reasonable areas (ie without being in fear of leaving your front door)

If you choose to dine out anywhere, or go to a show of anything you get lugged with 'Sydney Tax' a mysterious unmentioned tax that causes everything costs double what it would anywhere else and for 1/2 as much.

etc...

Depending on what you do, if you must move East, and to NSW, the North Coast or the South Coast are a much better option IMHO then Sydney itself. And Sydney is still more then accessible for weekends from either location.

'Lifes pretty cruuzy here in the country' :D 300 plus standard in rent p week,Mostly sunny all year,Max two maybe three hour drive from top to bottom (city limits) traffics jams?uuumm :huh: a rarity,Public transport a lil retarded but usually on time,Nightlife!!??? if its just a sole purpose of getting wasted,what do you care?? lol :lol: perth is Laid back dudes

it depends what you're after dude. Alot of the above is very true.

Why not take a holiday here for a little while before you decide?

Negatron's post seems the most relevant here.. why ask a bunch of ppl you dont really know, who dont really know you to help make a decision that is gona uproot your whole lifestyle?

spend a few weeks/months in Sydney before you even THINK about making the seachange..

hahaha thanks negatron for ur concerns...

the idea was to get some feedback and opinions of sydney. trust me, my decision won't be based on a poll conducted on the toyota owners club website :P

i know there's a lot more to think about when it comes to moving cities (but i've got them under my belt). it's more like a question of the living standards in sydney. i figured there's a whole heap of sydney ppl in here, so why not...

from what i can gather, perth seems soooo much more "laid back" but i am after a change. i think the worst that can happen is i end up hating sydney, so i move back to perth.

u guys have given me more to think about such as the type of ppl there and transport.

nek's comment about the different suburbs was VERY interesting. that's not the sort of stuff i could get from a brochure, but it's the stuff i wanna know :P

THANKS GUYS

yea there's apparently a big "devide" going on in sydney between east and west... its way too expensive in the east... it figures... the eastern suburbs are way more luxurious n ppl there r wealthy n "classy" n think that the whole world is at peace with flowers growing everywhere n they'r very very concered about terrorism n stuff... i'm speaking from experience i work in chatswood n i see them everyday

but like in the west especially south west... the people r very tough... its a big fish eat small fish world over here... not as luxurious as the east n not as close to the CBD... i work in chatswood (northeast) so it takes me 1.5hrs each way by train to get there from liverpool (southwest) n i have to change trains too... n the prices too... eg: i can buy a can of coke for $1 from fairfield... n when i go to the city a bottle of water cost me $3... compare... with me personally i would never leave southwest sydney i guess i grew up there n adapted to it... if u do move to sydney as previously mentioned you would have to adapt or u'll never survive

oh n as neK mentioned... without being too racey... your "background" would help you alot depending on which suburb... ie if u'r lebanese, u'r ppl r in like bankstown, lakemba, punchbowl... if u'r vietnamese, u'r ppl r in like canley vale, cabramatta... if u'r iraqi, u'r ppl r in fairfield, liverpool, auburn... etc etc etc.... most people would feel more comfortable being around ppl they have something in common with... n having relatives/friends to show u around is a big plus too

2c

Edited by d_ice

I'd personally stay away from Liverpool (no offence d_ice). Worked in that area for over 2 years.

Way too many junkies for my liking... all the junkies pretty much moved from Cabramatta to Liverpool.

The property prices there are also a joke, you get brand new units next to a cemetery with a asking price of 350k. Then you get older housing about 5 mins walk away on the other side of the main road for a similar price. Stupid property developers... to many properties all consolidated into the location.

Move to Brisbane ;) :D B)

Now there's some pearls of Wisdom!! We have the cheapest fuel,cheapest housing although that is slowly increasing and best of all if you want to live in a great city that has everything you need with a laid back style of life then i honestly have to say have a look at Brisbane.

Plus we have great weather too.....(just wish it would flammin rain!!)

as negatron mentioned, its a bit stupid to uproot and move to sydney based on "opinions" of forum members. unless you have a guaranteed job and you know how much you will be earning i say dont bother (unless you have some money saved up to cover yourself)

1. Sydney people are rude

2. Public transport is a joke (late, delayed, non existent, get bashed, robbed OR all of these in the one day if you're lucky)

3. Very expensive (everything)

so think hard about what you want to do, ultimately its your future

cheers

Central Coast dude. Only 35-40 mins on the freeway to Syd from Gosford.

I was there for a couple of years, and my fianse comes from there.

I was working for a property management company there; www.propertysupport.com.au; give you a bit of an idea for comparisons. :)