SV_21 Camry

Dangerr_3S-FE

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I own a 1988 Manual Camry Wagon... :wacko:

I'm just wanting to find out the intervals that the timing belt on the 3S-FE needs to be changed (in time or kilometers). I bought this car 7 months ago with 184 400km on the odo. It now has 194 800km. I don't know when it was changed last. Also wondering if this process is costly?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I own a 1988 Manual Camry Wagon... :wacko:

I'm just wanting to find out the intervals that the timing belt on the 3S-FE needs to be changed (in time or kilometers). I bought this car 7 months ago with 184 400km on the odo. It now has 194 800km. I don't know when it was changed last. Also wondering if this process is costly?

hey dude,welcome to the TOCA.congrats on the toyota,Timing belt service intervals should/recommended to be done very 80 000 ks,some tradespeoples prefer to less avoidng premature breakage or other complications Dayco Part number 94150 get it from any automotive outlets ..goodluck :D

Usual time is 100,000k for majority of vehicles but things may have changed. My 2001 Camry V6 is specified at 150,000K and that's in the factory service manual....Also in Haynes repair manual.

• 1 month later...

I have on my engine bay an indication on when my timing belt was changed... maybe have a look around, that will give you an indication of if it's necessary or not!

Welcome to team_camry :D

welcome to club son... oh n u might as well replace ur water pump (its in the same place)... labor costs more than the pump itself just like the timing belt... go to www.camcrew.com.au more ppl can help u over there regardin ur camry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
i've got a 1990 model sv21 and the manual for it says to change it every 100,000k's

I recently got the timing belt changed at 201,600km...

The mechanic informs me that the 3S-FE engine is a free spinning design and wouldn't harm the engine if it did break, but I wasn't willing to throw caution to the wind...

The old timing belt did look a bit worn and had hairline fractures on it, so I am glad that I had it replaced...

He charged me $165 for the timing belt change and service (I supplied belt $48 and oil/filter) which IMO is pretty good value...

However he did leave scuff marks above my driver's side headlight which do not appear to be coming off :angry:

The new timing belt makes the engine sound like it's supercharged :blink: