Starlet add-ons

Would just like to know if features included in the power/safety packs are still obtainable to add in a unequipped with as much Starlet, and if so how could they be obtained?

Mine is a 1997 EP91 Life but is the basic one with just a radio/casette player, and 2 speaker stereo with air conditioning. The yellow needles, tacho and position of the temp and fuel gadge looks great on some used car photos i've seen, it'd be good probably to somehow get power steering, power mirrors, and extra 2 speakers at the back if possible, maybe even central locking.

It would seem impossible to get the ABS and dual airbags though.

Thanks in advance for any help any members can provide.

• 4 months later...

You can change the colour of the dash lights with different colour globes, just have to pull out the instrument cluster and replace the globes...

Power steering you'd need the pump, pulley, steering rack and fluid lines... Would be best to source these parts from a wrecker...

Not too sure if Power Mirrors were available on the Starlets, if they were then check the wreckers... You'll need the mirrors, inner mirror covers, complete wiring looms and the mirror control switch...

2 extra speakers at the back and central locking can be sourced as aftermarket parts... Go to your local Car Audio store and they'll be able to help you out...

ABS might possibly be sourced from an import starlet GT and do a complete brake system swap, you'd also need to change the hubs over to accomodate the ABS sensors... Would be a lot of work to get this done... A cheaper alternative could be to upgrade the brakes to GT spec and run slotted discs and better quality pads all round... Although it will still lock up on hard brake applications, it'll pull up a lot better and will stop better in the rain... Good tyres will also help controlling in the wet...

Dual Airbags would be something I wouldn't bother about to be honest... The car passed the safety standards when it was made so you know it's safe to drive... Airbags help you out in an accident but they won't always save your life...

• 3 months later...

Hi Aussie_eagle

Just curious if you still have your starlet and are still searching for the parts for it?

I currenlty have a set of left and right power mirrors with the switch that only require wiring from the foot well to the mirrors in the door. all the wires are in the car as standard the switch is a plug and play and there are two plugs on the right and left panels of the foot wells under the dash.

As for the airbags you need to check if the system is installed for it you will find this in front of the gear box mount if you take out the center console. If so then you will need to find the drivers side one at a wrecker.

The speakers in the car are only 4inch ones in the front and very tight fit but you can get bigger ones to replace them the radeo can handle bigger. As for the rears there is wiring for them that goes to the rear on the drivers side however you may need to extend it if you have not already got the wires showing in the back. just follow the colors. Best advice on this is get a new unit and install, it is very easy esp now with the adaptor plugs you can buy.

Instrument clusters well thats the worst part i have imported one from Japan but found that it will cost a fair bit to rewire it to fit. if you are adventurous i cna show you the wiring diagrams i have adapeted for the conversion.

Central locking is also easy all you have to do is get the kits from a store and install but the tricky part is drilling the holes into the doors and panels of the car you may find that it will be easier to take the doors off if your doing it yourself if so be careful with the windows opening and closing make sure nothing rubs on them.

Ramhead 1

• 1 year later...

Dude where abouts do you live?? Do you have a WOW or Autobarn or JBHIFI near you?? I work as a Car Audio Dept Manager at WOW and I can tell you what stuff to put in at what price and how well it'll sound anyway to your speaker problem first thing is first do you want to amp them or not or just run them off the cd player secondly you'll need a cd player if you are gonna run amps and do you want subs or not because of your gonna run subs don't even bother about back speakers just get yourself a decent four channel or get a 2 channel and a mono and run a set of splits at the front and then one or two subs in the back but if not then just get yourself a 4 channel and a set of 6X9 for the rears just cut the back shelf the re do the speaker cables and then just disable the front 4" in the dash and relocate the speakers to the doors and get your self a set of split pods to put splits in the front. If your wondering why I suggest splits because it's a coupe the sound will coer more area in the car and also sound clearer and more precise now as for gear if you have a wow near you that's the company I work for get yourself a Option Audio 4 Channel and get yourself some MTX 6x9's for the rear and the THS602 MTX spits for the front and most it'll cost you will be is $700 or a kicker brand with the same price because there are other brands there better like Polk Audio but the only thing they will cost abit but awesome as stereo gear um....if you have a autobarn near you get yourself some kenwoods they will go off but yeah that's what you should do and what you can fit hope that helps...

Dude where abouts do you live?? Do you have a WOW or Autobarn or JBHIFI near you?? I work as a Car Audio Dept Manager at WOW and I can tell you what stuff to put in at what price and how well it'll sound anyway to your speaker problem first thing is first do you want to amp them or not or just run them off the cd player secondly you'll need a cd player if you are gonna run amps and do you want subs or not because of your gonna run subs don't even bother about back speakers just get yourself a decent four channel or get a 2 channel and a mono and run a set of splits at the front and then one or two subs in the back but if not then just get yourself a 4 channel and a set of 6X9 for the rears just cut the back shelf the re do the speaker cables and then just disable the front 4" in the dash and relocate the speakers to the doors and get your self a set of split pods to put splits in the front. If your wondering why I suggest splits because it's a coupe the sound will coer more area in the car and also sound clearer and more precise now as for gear if you have a wow near you that's the company I work for get yourself a Option Audio 4 Channel and get yourself some MTX 6x9's for the rear and the THS602 MTX spits for the front and most it'll cost you will be is $700 or a kicker brand with the same price because there are other brands there better like Polk Audio but the only thing they will cost abit but awesome as stereo gear um....if you have a autobarn near you get yourself some kenwoods they will go off but yeah that's what you should do and what you can fit hope that helps...

Ermm, did you even read the date of the thread? Anyway, this is pretty much is advertising - not to mention your advice isn't really coherent.