Grande v Azura (or should I also consider Sportivo?)

michaelcocks

Hi Guys newbie help required,

Still driving a Mitsubishi Verada Xi 2002

Changing car in June July this year. Looking at Camry amongst others...but Camry is top of shopping list at the moment. Looking for a 2004 Gen5

I have read a lot and understand the basic difference between these models, but was looking for a more personal opinion from the forum of Camry drivers.

Azura seems to bit luxury+sports whereas Grande is luxury only. HAdn't considered Sportivo until I saw the prices for 04 Gande and Azura...

PS Also if I do consider Sportivo what is the performance versus consumption argument like between 2.4 and V6 (obviously for Azura an Grande it's V6 anyway - which is cool.) I get 10l/100 from my Verada and that is a 3.5 v6 so same expecting better from Camry v6.

Any General buying advice or model advice Cheers

Mike

Hi Guys newbie help required,

Still driving a Mitsubishi Verada Xi 2002

Changing car in June July this year. Looking at Camry amongst others...but Camry is top of shopping list at the moment. Looking for a 2004 Gen5

I have read a lot and understand the basic difference between these models, but was looking for a more personal opinion from the forum of Camry drivers.

Azura seems to bit luxury+sports whereas Grande is luxury only. HAdn't considered Sportivo until I saw the prices for 04 Gande and Azura...

PS Also if I do consider Sportivo what is the performance versus consumption argument like between 2.4 and V6 (obviously for Azura an Grande it's V6 anyway - which is cool.) I get 10l/100 from my Verada and that is a 3.5 v6 so same expecting better from Camry v6.

Any General buying advice or model advice Cheers

Mike

We purchased a 2004 Gen 5.5 V6 Sportivo......and have been very impressed. Fuel consumption is a bit higher than quoted......abt 11-12lt/100k......depends on driving habit. You can pick one of these up in the range of about 20-25k. The Azura basically is a sportivo but with extras like leather, sunroof and Sat nav. Whereas the Grande, has Sat nav and leather but no body kit(not sure if it has the sportivo suspension).

This is from the top of my head.....there may be a few small more variations.

Personally the four cylinder is underpowered....but if your after economy than performance then this might be the option for you.

We purchased a 2004 Gen 5.5 V6 Sportivo......and have been very impressed. Fuel consumption is a bit higher than quoted......abt 11-12lt/100k......depends on driving habit. You can pick one of these up in the range of about 20-25k. The Azura basically is a sportivo but with extras like leather, sunroof and Sat nav. Whereas the Grande, has Sat nav and leather but no body kit(not sure if it has the sportivo suspension).

This is from the top of my head.....there may be a few small more variations.

Personally the four cylinder is underpowered....but if your after economy than performance then this might be the option for you.

Thanks Yeah I usually get better consumption than the book because I live in the Hills area and mainly drive on the M2 although a bit of round the suburbs.(even my old Jag used to get me 13l/100, but then again I don't go looking for speeding tickets either with, especially with the cost of fuel these days !!!)..So I am really looking at the V6 rather than the 4 cyl

I guess Sportivo is cheaper than Grande or Azura but lacks Sat Nav, leather, climate and sunroof (I'm kinda used to those now) But seems a huge difference in price between Azura Grande and Sportivo (in that order)

Where do they put the CD stacker in Azura and Grande when the have Sat Nav ?

Alo how come the Lexus ES300 with same engine gets more torque and more KW - what is the difference is it just a chip, exhaust flow air filter ???

Any buying tips from someone who has done it?

Thanks

The CD stacker is in the boot for the azura and grande. Note that the gen5.5 azura has alcantara seats, not full leather. Go back to gen5 azuras for full leather, but minus the toyota assist thing and the lid for the console bin. And... I think the ES300 might be tuned differently.

Oh yeah, go for the Azura if you do, it just looks so much better than the Grande :) Not to mention your grande will be often mistaken for an Altise!

Edited by Cosmo

Yea, if u have the money, but Aurion.

If you are considering engine, the all camry 05 are same, if u are looking for more better options, then go for azura or grande, i believe you have done the comparison, so i m not talkin bout those.

Really it depends on wat amount u wanna spend.

I helped 2 friens buying camry(altise $15k, azura $?forgot). From auction, you can get good price. But you have to spend time there looking around(in and under the hood).

So... yea, tats bout it, if u hv $34k++ go for Aurion!! I m VERY sure u will love it compare with camry^^

wan body kit(or wide body kit)?? contact :) freddy@topstage.com :) , best guy to look for!!

The CD stacker is in the boot for the azura and grande. Note that the gen5.5 azura has alcantara seats, not full leather. Go back to gen5 azuras for full leather, but minus the toyota assist thing and the lid for the console bin. And... I think the ES300 might be tuned differently.

Oh yeah, go for the Azura if you do, it just looks so much better than the Grande :) Not to mention your grande will be often mistaken for an Altise!

The ES300 uses the VVTi version of the same V6 engine found in the Camry; wished the Camry used that one instead of the non-VVTi version.

If you are after a Grande though, I would suggest looking for them at the auction houses simply because I think most of the Gen5.5 Grande models were picked up by rental companies along with some Gen5.5 Sportivo 4-cyl models, whilst the Azura and Sportivo V6 models went to private/leased buyers.

-m_luke

Edited by m_luke

I am not sure I can afford an Aurion ? I also hate the depreciation suffered by new cars.... :(

I like the drive of the Camry and its quietness...

I hear talk they deliberately made Aurion a bit noisy so that Lexus can differentiate when the equivalent model comes out ???

A Grande or Azura for 25K is still a long way from an Aurion at 35K+++ (and that is for the base model) No sunroof leather sat nav etc...

Thanks for the tips on ex-rental re Grande. I see hertz has a bunch of 2004 Sportico's for sale but they are all 4 Cyl, and I am not sure I am prepared to go back to a 4 after drving a 6 - the ecconomy seems to be only about 10% different...so only worth an extra 400 a year in fuel...I'm prepared to pay that for towing capability and performance.

Re the Vienta/Verada swap - no thanks even though I love Toyota's but going back to a 1998 model is a bit too much.... The reason I'm changing over is to get something a bit newer (not older ) :)

I am not sure where are u, but if u r in melb, can consider auction... altise 04 only $15k? so add a few $k for full option and so on, still nice price. compare to dealers always a few $k cheaper too..

aurion noiser?? hrm.. u should listen to my camry 05 sportivo on remus exhaust+muffler!! ahaha!

Edited by dannywss

• 1 month later...

hey all, first post here

anyway.. my 2 cents. i own a 2002 camry azura. to me its the bees knees for value, looks and performance

i bought it ar 45 thousand K's... for 22 grand.. when some places were selling them for 28 grand.. for.. 120K.. lol .. pays to shop around

prior to buying the azura i looked at altises and sportivo's but i ofund both were lacking. the altise was one boring car. and the sportivo seemed like a high premium for a few "go fast bits"

the azura has jsut about every bell and whistle.. it has clean lines like the sportivo but without those horrid red and white sportivo logos. its not trying to be a luxury car. or a sports car

its just a good. v6, high millage comfy fun nice looking car

my vote is with the azura

cookie

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively buy whichever one you want and for around $200 you can have which ever one of the grilles you want (saw an Altise with a Sportivo grille today). I am intending to get a Grande grille for my Altise Limited (not too look like a Grande, I just like the bling look of the chrome B) )

Just a question; why are you abandoning the 3.5L grandeur that is the Verada to go for a 3.0L Camry?

I'd much prefer a 'rada over a Camry anyday... but I'm just glad I've got the Vienta :D

(It must be a thing to have the luxury models V-named)

• 1 month later...

I've put up a Camry Grande for sale, in the buy and sell section.

If you are still in the market for one.

Thanks.

Edited by u54mot