Foglights / Drivinglights for a Gen 5.5 Camry

jps137

Has anyone installed the foglights / drivinglights into a Gen 5.5 Camry (one that did not come with the lights originally)? I am considering doing it (as the fog is starting to get bad in our area rather than just to look good) but the supply and install price for the OEM items I have had from a few dealers is horrendous. I have also been told that the cars with out the lights had a different loom to those with and as such seperate wiring is required, I find this a bit hard to believe as there were only a few models with out the lights and the fusebox even has the actual fuse in place for them.

Can anyone shed some light on this? [No pun intended]

• 3 months later...

Got the lights installed last week, a bit pricey but was worth it (I'll keep telling myself that until the Mastercard bill comes in). Had them supplied and fitted by the people at Ryde Toyota and I am very happy with the result, they actually took the time to think through the install (even had the dealer principal involved) and included OEM switchgear rather than a simple "$x for parts and whatever the auto elec costs and lets hope it works".

At the same time they carried out the headlight recall work.

Edited by jps137

Got the lights installed last week, a bit pricey but was worth it (I'll keep telling myself that until the Mastercard bill comes in). Had them supplied and fitted by the people at Ryde Toyota and I am very happy with the result, they actually took the time to think through the install (even had the dealer principal involved) and included OEM switchgear rather than a simple "$x for parts and whatever the auto elec costs and lets hope it works".

At the same time they carried out the headlight recall work.

heyy do you have have any pic of the switch??

Has anyone installed the foglights / drivinglights into a Gen 5.5 Camry (one that did not come with the lights originally)? I am considering doing it (as the fog is starting to get bad in our area rather than just to look good) but the supply and install price for the OEM items I have had from a few dealers is horrendous. I have also been told that the cars with out the lights had a different loom to those with and as such seperate wiring is required, I find this a bit hard to believe as there were only a few models with out the lights and the fusebox even has the actual fuse in place for them.

Can anyone shed some light on this? [No pun intended]

Yes, there are different wiring looms for all the different models, one with foglights has the foglight swtich on the dimmer switch, then the wiring to the lights... Ones without foglights has a different switch and no wiring to the foglights...

• 4 years later...

Grave Dig, - (better than making a new one imo... maybe)

Hi guys, more over foglights for a gen 5, and yes i know the shape of the kit and foglight would be different,

now ive seen one eGay that i am particularly fond of, (link here) and was wondering whether i would have any electrical cut off problems or fitting problems itself, becuase as it says on the add " 05-08 corolla "

however solaras are almost simillar to camrys, i was about to buy it but then it greatly puzzled me as it said " 05 - 08 corolla "

any input would be great -

thanks,

-jeff

now ive seen one eGay that i am particularly fond of, (link here) and was wondering whether i would have any electrical cut off problems or fitting problems itself, becuase as it says on the add " 05-08 corolla "

From the picture, the shape of the fog light frames looks as it will fit ok.

I ordered fog lights for a gen 5 Camry (by mistake as i have gen 5.5) from this ebay seller a few years ago,

these look similar to the one you want (without the tints)..

From the picture, the shape of the fog light frames looks as it will fit ok.

I ordered fog lights for a gen 5 Camry (by mistake as i have gen 5.5) from this ebay seller a few years ago,

these look similar to the one you want (without the tints)..

The Foglights from a pre-facelift (Gen5 - 08/02-08/04) to the post-facelift (Gen 5.5 - 08/04-X/06) are completely different and are not exchangeable. You must buy a 08/04-06 set of lights. Just by visuals alone you should be able to tell this.

Pre-facelift:

55199_00mg.jpg

Post-facelift:

EU205H.jpg

Part numbers for for the front bars and foglight assemblies are different as well. You must have got lucky and the seller has given you the wrong set of lights.

ill probably end up buying them black ones.. next concern would be installation ... the site said "doesnt come with instructions" :unsure:

*shrugs shoulders*

Given you don't have any, you can at least put them in for visuals.

If they don't have instructions and you don't know what you are doing, DON'T do it yourself. You MUST remember with these cars being cars that are not regularly modded you won't get instructions etc. on most mods, so you either have to work it out or pay someone to do it.

The Foglights from a pre-facelift (Gen5 - 08/02-08/04) to the post-facelift (Gen 5.5 - 08/04-X/06) are completely different and are not exchangeable. You must buy a 08/04-06 set of lights. Just by visuals alone you should be able to tell this.

Yes, you’re absolutely correct there Andrew.

Back then, the seller had these fog lights listed as 2002-2006 instead of 2002 –2004.

He was happy to refund it so no issues there. :)

ill probably end up buying them black ones.. next concern would be installation ... the site said "doesnt come with instructions" :unsure:

*shrugs shoulders*

Given you don't have any, you can at least put them in for visuals.

or i could plastidip the foglight covers .. :g: :P

If they don't have instructions and you don't know what you are doing, DON'T do it yourself. You MUST remember with these cars being cars that are not regularly modded you won't get instructions etc. on most mods, so you either have to work it out or pay someone to do it.

i hope it at least comes with wiring diagrams.. but yeah, thx trent, ill probably let my uncle install it for me :]

i hope it at least comes with wiring diagrams.. but yeah, thx trent, ill probably let my uncle install it for me :]

The set i got didnt come with any wiring diagrams.

JUst as a note for those who are interested in Toyota Genuine the pre-facelift foglights were a lot cheaper than the facelift ones (I think about half the price from memory)

JUst as a note for those who are interested in Toyota Genuine the pre-facelift foglights were a lot cheaper than the facelift ones (I think about half the price from memory)

back in 2006, Toyota quoted me approx $900- $1000 for the Gen 5.5 (2004-2006) Genuine fog lights.

Not sure what the prices were like for the gen 5 (2002-2004) genuine foglights.

back in 2006, Toyota quoted me approx $900- $1000 for the Gen 5.5 (2004-2006) Genuine fog lights.

Back in 2007 they were around half of that for the Gen5

I was quoted about $1000 for gen 5 (02-04) about 12 months ago.

regarding installation, the wiring in the bumper is there to the junction box, fuse etc but there is none for the switch, so that's the tricky part. you need a relay also. I still haven't finished mine yet, its coming, but so is Christmas. :rolleyes:

Edited by mbruce

That may have been just for the one Fog light frame..

Im sure that spare parts sell them as one individual frame and not as a pair.

then again, you maybe right, they may have been trying to get rid of old stock.