91 SV21 Engine Noise

brizzie

Hi,

I've been wondering about a weird almost like a pinging noise that my car makes. It has 189,000 kms on the clock, it's a 1991 Camry SV21 automatic sedan, and has been doing this since I bought it, and it doesn't seem to be related to a few things I still need to get done to it according to the mechanics. It's never broken down, has always been reliable, and its biggest issue when i bought it was a need for power steering belts and to fix a leak in the power steering (as well as a number of oil leaks)

OK, it makes sometimes quite a loud almost pinging kind of noise when accelerating at slow speeds, and it happens more if driving up a slight incline. (noise is sort of like a much louder version of the engine ping I got from my old 84 corolla when I put normal leaded fuel in it rather than premium - I was also putting lead replacement in that car). However some days it hardly makes this noise, sometimes it makes it heaps.

I've been finding that this noise happens less and sometimes not at all when I'm running a tank of premium fuel (like shell vortex) through it, and happens far more then I use ordinary unleaded. It doesn't loose power or anything, just makes an annoying pinging highish pitched metalic clicking kind of sound. Should I be worried, or is this a common problem that doesn't need worrying about?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I've been wondering about a weird almost like a pinging noise that my car makes. It has 189,000 kms on the clock, it's a 1991 Camry SV21 automatic sedan, and has been doing this since I bought it, and it doesn't seem to be related to a few things I still need to get done to it according to the mechanics. It's never broken down, has always been reliable, and its biggest issue when i bought it was a need for power steering belts and to fix a leak in the power steering (as well as a number of oil leaks)

OK, it makes sometimes quite a loud almost pinging kind of noise when accelerating at slow speeds, and it happens more if driving up a slight incline. (noise is sort of like a much louder version of the engine ping I got from my old 84 corolla when I put normal leaded fuel in it rather than premium - I was also putting lead replacement in that car). However some days it hardly makes this noise, sometimes it makes it heaps.

I've been finding that this noise happens less and sometimes not at all when I'm running a tank of premium fuel (like shell vortex) through it, and happens far more then I use ordinary unleaded. It doesn't loose power or anything, just makes an annoying pinging highish pitched metalic clicking kind of sound. Should I be worried, or is this a common problem that doesn't need worrying about?

Thanks in advance

Mate. Engine Ping aka knock will lead to more serious and costly engine damage. Are you sure your car is not meant to run on premium fuels only? If you find it runs fine on premium then i'd say that's what it is. (this is usually written inside the fuel flap)

alternatively, if you find that the car specs say it can run on normal unleaded, then I'd say you have a detonation problem. the reason you are hearing it more when going uphill is because of engine load. This can be due to ignition timing - You'll need to retard it to solve detonation. You can adjust this by turning the distributor (I forgot which direction - it's been a while). You'll need a timing gun to do this properly. timing is expressed in "degrees before top-dead-center" or BTDC. You'll need to consult other resources to figure out what is the proper setting.

If you don't have a timing gun, you can buy them for fairly cheap. My recommendation is to take it to the mechanic if you're not too confident. But do it ASAP or you'll stuff your engine up.

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Is the air filter clean? Mine on occasions (not all the time) use to make a rattling pinging cluck ting bing rat-a-tat-tat kind of noise when using unleaded and accelrating up the base of a hill... sinced i have changed the airfilter and run premium i havent heared any funny noises from it at all...

Next time you encounter the rattling pinging cluck ting bing rat-a-tat-tat kind of noise try quickly releasing accelerator and then reapply accelerator, this use to be the fix for me otherwise it made the rattling pinging cluck ting bing rat-a-tat-tat kind of noise all the way to the top of the hill.... i think any funny noises will do damage to the engin eventually... so best get it checked out... :blink:

Good luck!

apart from that try injector cleaner....

Years ago my aunt had the V6 model and it suffered from detonation (the problem you described). My dad fixed it but I can't remember how, I shall ask...

Run it on 98 octane fuel til you get it fixed.

• 3 weeks later...