brake upgrade walk through

JayMan

ok so i made this walk through for another forum that im a regular on and i thought i may aswell post it here for youy all to see

ill start by saying what parts and tools i used and ill also add that assuming you are going to try and attempt this.. you must have some mechanical knowledge and i will NOT be teaching you how to put brake pads in as if you cant do that yet then you shouldn't be trying this on your own just yet ( no offense but brakes are serious stuff and i dont want to see any1 here hurt or in trouble coz their brakes didnt work )

there is also the change of rims that i have done that you will notice during the walk through

parts

AE101 brake calipers

matching pads

DBA slotted rotors

brake fluid of your choice

tools

hammer .. lol seriously pliers and tin snips

wheel brace

stands

hydraulic car jack

17mm socket

14mm socket

strong ratchet and extension

8 mm spanner

Image037.jpg

started with my stock twinky with stock twinky rims (175'65'14)

Image038.jpg

original ae82 twincam brakes

Image041.jpg

so this is where it starts.. after the car is jacked up and secured you have you wheels off..

pick a side you want to start on and hook the steering wheel in that direction so you are able to get behind the caliper nice and easy

start with a 14mm socket (from memory) and make sure you have a big rag and card bored as brake fluid will flow out.

remove the single 14mm bolt that secures the brake line to the caliper .. make sure you do not get anydirt in the line or the bolt!!!

once the line is out of the way (chocked up behind the strut wrapped in a rag ) use an extension on your 17mm socket and crack the bolt on the top of the caliper then do the same for the bottom. remove the bolts and the caliper should sit there without falling off.. simply slide it off

Image042.jpg

once its off it should look like this

Image043.jpg

now the caliper is off there is nothing securing the rotor on so simply shake it from side to side and jimmy it off to end up with what you see in the picture above .

the dust shield in the back will cause problems if left as is so it will either need to go or be modified to fit

Image047.jpg

easiest option is to bend it back with a set of pliers, hammer and tin snips so it will end up like that..

now slide on the new rotor all the way to the end position and look all round for any contact to the rotor.. in particular right down the bottom .. it will be the spot where the dust shield and the rotor are closest (10mm or so)

Image048.jpg

so now slide on the new rotor then put the caliper in the position where the original one was and tighten up the two 17 mm bolts tight. then put the brake line back the way it was and tighten up the bolt. now you can put your brake pads in and close up the caliper :) your pretty much finished this side :) repeat the same to the other side

lets take a second to compare ;)

Image045.jpg

Image046.jpg

Image044.jpg

238mm x 18mm old rotors and 258mm x 22mm slotted rotors :)

now that its all on and sealed up.. do a brake bleed

you will need some one to pump the brakes and hold it down when it starts to feel really firm.. start at the furthest side from the brake master cylinder which in ae82 will be the rear passenger then the rear driver then the front passenger then the front driver side .. leave the cap off the brake fluid

you will need an 8mm spanner ..

get some one to pump the brakes then hold down as i said before.. then with a bottle and good size hose put some water in the bottle and stick the hose it and the other end on the nipple off the clipper then open up the bolt enough to let liquid and air squirt out.. watch as the air and fluid flow into the bottle and pay attention to the bubbles.. tighten the bolt and let the person release the peddle..

repeat the process on that side until no air comes out and keep topping up the brake fluid then continue on the other 3 calipers and you will notice the brake pedal is a s##t load firmer by the time your done

get some brake component cleaner and use a clean rag to clean any dirt that the rotors may have on them now

Image040.jpg

one problem i had was with teh left calipr .. the pads wouldnt fit in then i got the digital vernia out and found out the left caliper must have been dropped and was 2mm smaller!!!!!! so that was a kick in the c*nt as i took out the spacers from the pad clips and filled down the caliper for hours... but its alll good now

i got some 14x6" 5 spoke auscar rims and now have 185'60 semi slicks on there :) so i put the rims on but the original lug nuts dont fit with after market rims.. so i found a whole crate of lug nuts my brother has and found the right ones i needed and put them all on.. these are the results :)

Image049.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image051.jpg

Image053.jpg

and thats all there is.. if i remember anymore ill edit the post but for now .. any mistakes or ideas any1 can come up with im open to criticism as this was made to help others by learning from any mistakes i may have made :)

good luck

John

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, do a quick bleed on the calipers that you've squeezed back to ensure you have a nice feeling and responsive brake pedal...

Nothing worse than a brake pedal that sinks to the floor when you need it most...

Also, make sure you bed the brake pads in to ensure the best brake performance... Accelerate to 50 - 60km/h, brake hard till the car is about to stop and take your foot off the brakes so the car is rolling... Do that a few times and you're done...