instrument lights

just curious if anyone has changed the lights behind the instrument cluster?

suggestions? can it be done?

ive got all the cluster thing apart but am not game 2 pull the black backing (the bit we can see) off help!!!

Edited by rollagrl

Ive done my DASH lights, from bulbs to LED's, but as far as I know, the optitronic instrument cluster uses either neon or led's for backlighting (i actullay think it is neons).

If you could supply a pic of the instrument cluster with the gauge plate removed too (so you can see the circuit board) then I can let you know what sort of illumination it uses, and if anything can be done.

Be aware that the graphics on our cluster are in red also, so just changing the illumination colour may not be enough (blue light coming thru red graphics= murky green).

I beleive I saw a picture on a post a long time ago in which somebody had changed the colours successfuly if you seach on the forum you may find it. But it may be as you say Blackzze I am not sure. As it was from an overseas source.

i was thinkin of puttin blue lights behind it... blue + red =purple :P ........... as long as there is no soldering involved, not sayin i cant solder cos i can :P if its real figity stuff ill have 2 wait till my dad is in town (he is a 2way radio tech :D )........

has any1 bought an after market 1? cos i was also thinkin bout goin white back :P

(peekay, have ya seen my pic? :P :D )

cheers boys and grls :D

A word of warning. Before playing with this ask you dealer to price a new one for you. They are very expensive, in fact enough to even shock my dealer and that was at Toyota Australia pricing without dealer margins.

Once you see the pricing you may change your mind about playing with it. The price was in the thousands the dealer told me! Even they stated that the price could not be justified.

hmmm well maybe ill wait til i can afford a white backed 1.... anyways, the tacho on mine doesnt go far enuf.............. :D  :D  :P

Are you planning to have the first 2ZZ-GE in Australia to hit 11000rpm? Remember to take a video of your tacho when you're done. I wanna hear the sound!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Scare all the civics and lancers with the power of 11000rpm!!!

hmmm well maybe ill wait til i can afford a white backed 1.... anyways, the tacho on mine doesnt go far enuf.............. :D  :D  :P

Are you planning to have the first 2ZZ-GE in Australia to hit 11000rpm? Remember to take a video of your tacho when you're done. I wanna hear the sound!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Scare all the civics and lancers with the power of 11000rpm!!!

I'm sure i can emulate the sound.....

*BANG*

I'm sure i can emulate the sound.....

*BANG*

You've got to start off with vroooooooooooom... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .... BANG!

But seriously, one of the tests when they designed the 2ZZ-GE was to run it at 12000rpm for a few hours to see what was the limit.

Yeah i actually remember when i first started posting here that someone said the 2ZZGE was run at (forget what RPM... but it was either redline or above) for a ridiculous amount of time (more than a day or two) and she was still going hard. hahah its funny... but i seriously just can't picture that happening. LOL!