Stubby Antenna Replacement

vivioman

Finally replaced my stock antenna which I snapped a couple of weeks ago with a cheapo stubby one I bought from Supercheap.

Fitment was initially a problem because the base of the new antenna was round whereas the antenna hole in the Gen 4 Camry is oval, but I got round that problem by placing the rubber grommet from the stock antenna below the base of the new antenna.

Pics:

tn_DSCF0373.JPG

tn_DSCF0377.JPG

:blink: why not get a power antenna from the wreckers?

I love the power antenna thingy.... watch it go up watch it go down...

i hooked my antenna turn on wire to a mini switch (i have one for amp and one for antenna... )

so you can have a choice of antenna up or down...

wasnt a problem with the factory deck... antenna only extended when radio was in use... but after changing around to the pioneer deck it was always extended when the deck was on... but not any more...

hee hee.. got to admit i have run out of room to put switches... i even repositioned the dimmer control knob to under the steering wheel column so i could put a trip timer and volt meter switch in.... (volt meter sits above rear vision mirror...ran wires up a pillar)

sorry bit carried away here... :whistling:

yea... so why the stubby?

spray paint it white maybe....

^^ yeah, did consider the power antenna, but I have not had much luck with power antennas in the past so I decided not to go that route.

As I mentioned, I got this at quite a good price and the reception is much better than my old stock antenna fully extended too

well now that you mentioned it my radio recption is not the best especially when going through the M5 tunnels... i think the old toyota deck had a better tuner in it...

Maybe we should make a switch to the stick antenna :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
especially when going through the M5 tunnels...

My reception is always good going through the M2 tunnel until I reach teh absolute middle. Craps out for a second or so, and then gets better as I reach the exit.

And my antenna only goes to about a third of it's height. Needs to be replaced.

especially when going through the M5 tunnels...

My reception is always good going through the M2 tunnel until I reach teh absolute middle. Craps out for a second or so, and then gets better as I reach the exit.

And my antenna only goes to about a third of it's height. Needs to be replaced.

Reception diff in tunnels:

The M2 tunnel is bored threw structured solid rock ....thats probably why radio reception is not at its best.

Whereas the M5 tunnuel is structurely re-inforced with built-in radio transmitters ....where they can send broadcasts threw your radio.

Brad

:blink: why not get a power antenna from the wreckers?

I love the power antenna thingy.... watch it go up watch it go down...

i hooked my antenna turn on wire to a mini switch (i have one for amp and one for antenna... )

so you can have a choice of antenna up or down...

wasnt a problem with the factory deck... antenna only extended when radio was in use... but after changing around to the pioneer deck it was always extended when the deck was on... but not any more...

hee hee.. got to admit i have run out of room to put switches... i even repositioned the dimmer control knob to under the steering wheel column so i could put a trip timer and volt meter switch in.... (volt meter sits above rear vision mirror...ran wires up a pillar)

sorry bit carried away here... :whistling:

yea... so why the stubby?

spray paint it white maybe....

How do you install a power antenna into a 1998 camry csi?I grabbed a pwoer antenna from the wreckers but how hard is it to install it?I didn't grab the cabling that runs it only the actual unit..so yeah any advice would be great as I really want to do this!