'Slamming' into 2nd gear at 8000 revs

Vhao

prior to getting the clutch adjustment done I had the same thing happen after a Dyno day.

after the car came off the dyno I went for a drive and it slotted 2nd in lift easy...

the next time I tried a few days later it wouldn't go again :(

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prior to getting the clutch adjustment done I had the same thing happen after a Dyno day.

after the car came off the dyno I went for a drive and it slotted 2nd in lift easy...

the next time I tried a few days later it wouldn't go again :(

mmmm interesting. Well its been 5 days... i will let you know how the car is next week.

Its very perculiar though... i dont know if anyone has been in my car (maybe rob?) but it was always a b1tch to shift in....

Well today i needed to get past a veeeeerrrryyy slow driver that was pi$$ing me off!

so 1st double clutch 2nd double clutch 3rd all in lift and at the end i realized hey that was smooth!

so i dont know!

its different to like the normal truck double clutching where they take it to neutral etc... while yur foots downn on the clutch yu pump the accelerator while changin gears it is a gud race method and keeps the revs up for all yu people who cant land lift loll

I have an issue that someone on here may be able to solve.

I've always had problems with my clutch, however i've been too lazy to get it adjusted because it doesnt solve the problem completely, its only a bandaid fix.

However... ever since competing in a hillclimb on the weekend, and raping the clutch off the start line, i am now (for the first time ever) completely able to slam it into second gear as hard as i would want at any engine speed. I can land in lift second with wheelspin, where as i used to crunch, or get blocked and could feel the spinning through the gear lever.

Thoughts? Perhaps the solution here is to compete in motorsport where clutch abuse is mandatory.

im starting to think alot of the stivo's scored flywheels that were stored in shipping containers or in some arid mongrel place before they were installed and buckled a bit. If you never treat it badly it'll stay buckled and never match the clutch properly.

Has anyone looked at their plates after replacement? is there more wear on on side verse the other and crosshatch looking buff? Most people seem to be saying 60,000 k's for a stivo clutch. I've used factory clutches in almost everything i've rebuilt and i've never changed em more than once so far and i'm what i would class as brutal on my vehicles.

My friend has a 95 excel still on its first clutch and it's dialing over 190,000k's, his old man drives semi's so he doesn't think an engine should be shifted over 2k rpm which is hell on a clutch trying to pull 1100kg of car and then junk and people on top of that.

I understand the engine has some brute so i can understand a quicker wear rate but it sounds like an expensive venture having a stivo in the drive.

my guess is on your run you cooked the surface of your flywheel which flushed itself with your clutch. Maybe all stivo owner's with shift issues need a new fly or a really good flogging, I know what i'd prefer.

its different to like the normal truck double clutching where they take it to neutral etc... while yur foots downn on the clutch yu pump the accelerator while changin gears it is a gud race method and keeps the revs up for all yu people who cant land lift loll

It sortta is the same as truck double clutching as it does exactly the same thing. I was taught by a trucky and it has the same effect. It brings the shaft box speed into the same rev range as the engine. which is how the cogs slide in without a crunch. Think of trying to lock your fingers together in a grip from a distance but have one of your hands moving toward the other really fast with the other still. I'tll be a heck of alot smoother and quicker if your hands were moving at the same speed or in essence not moving at all relative to each other.

you dnt need to tell mee.... i no what goes on when yu double clutch etc... maybe its the people who have shifting issues you should be telling lolll.

what i was sayin is that race double clutching is different to trucker style double clutching...while it still does sorta the same thing.

Edited by jf187

i honestly dont believe a work you say when you tell me that 'race drivers' double clutch on upshifts.

any real race cars dont use a clutch on upshifts. the quicker the shift, the better. You cant tell me that putting the clutch in, revving the car and releasing the clutch is quick.

Coming from a high-powered FWD car, I've noticed that engine movement in the high RPMs can cause issues with shifting.

Would definitely recommend people look in to getting their rear engine mounts solid filled to reduce this problem.

agreed, and with the ZZE12x rollas it also causes most of the noises in the dash people complain about

mate im talkin bout the normal racers not the racers with over the top ten second cars... they hav automatic powerglide gearboxes orr they hav straight cut gearboxes known as (dogboxes) how about yu try redline yur car to 8200 and change with no clutch n watch yu gearbox blow to bits..... double clutching is actually very quick if yu no how to do it n yu hav the hang of it.

On the "rare" occasion that I need to get a move on, double clutching is good, but I find (and this is my driving style), just don't release the accelerator pedal fully. You get a feel for how much pedal depression is required to maintain flywheel/shaft momentum. Just slow down ever so slightly when re-engaging the clutch, particularly when hitting the engagement point to prevent lurching, and then let fly. Can stay in lift as long as you like, really. Ask mother dearest... :whistling:

mate im talkin bout the normal racers not the racers with over the top ten second cars... they hav automatic powerglide gearboxes orr they hav straight cut gearboxes known as (dogboxes) how about yu try redline yur car to 8200 and change with no clutch n watch yu gearbox blow to bits..... double clutching is actually very quick if yu no how to do it n yu hav the hang of it.

mate, i'm not talking about boring as ***** drag cars either...

I'm talking rally cars, (boring) V8 supercars - real racing. trust me, if you can drive you dont need the clutch, its called rev matching.

Besides.... what your describing isnt double clutching at all. Lets think about it logically for the moment. Your saying double clutching ("race" :rolleyes: style) is putting the clutch in, revving the car and releasing the clutch. Where exactly does the "double" come from???? I think your confusing double clutching with slipping the clutch within the shift.

Double clutching has 7 steps:

1. Engage clutch

2. Select Neutral

3. Release clutch

4. Rev Engine

5. Engage clutch

6. Select Gear (Usually lower)

7. Release clutch

Very helpful on down shifts (if your driving a truck), but if you are in a normal car heel and toe-ing is just as effective.

On an upshift, its pointless.

by the way, You is spelt with an O. none of this yu ***** please

Hi Guys stop aruguing.

Ive been told by my mechanic that many of his clients who got sportivos or celica that the gearbox is preety unrealiable.

So dont jum any gears, it will stuff the syncros

Hi Guys stop aruguing.

Ive been told by my mechanic that many of his clients who got sportivos or celica that the gearbox is preety unrealiable.

So dont jum any gears, it will stuff the syncros

ya its nothing new!

Someone solid fill their rear engine mounts and see if it solves the problem. DO IT, DO ITTT!! :spiteful:

I've been in a number of cars with slight grinding problems, shifting problems. I had a FWD Turbo Pulsar pumping 161.8FWKW and axle tramp/torque steer was it's best friend. I managed to slap in any gear no matter where I was bouncing on the road after I had installed my solid rear mount :D Also, a 180sx, s15 and 350z - friends and I had the engine dampening kits on and it solved almost all problems with mis-shifting in high RPM.

For the people without stuffed syncros as of yet, it's a good prevention method.

im not talking about truck double clutching here mate as i clearly stated.... i know how they do it n i know wat it does.

what i am talking about is a method used by many racers.... it has similar benifits of flat changing(changin without releasing the accelerator) but is no were near as dangerous to your gearbox and just like i said before...rally drivers & v8 supercars both use straight cut gearboxes so therefore on occasions they dnt need to use clutch because that gearbox is designed for that type of thing and it is known as an unbreakable gearbox. so if you dnt no wat yu r talking about keep your mouth closed ohk..

n i can talk however i want buddy dnt be a smart ***** yu understood wat i said n so did everybody else so shut your mouth...gronkk