?Grease? on inner rim

Looks like CV joint grease inside the rim, caked on pretty thick. Rear right wheel, no obvious signs of leakage from structures around wheel.

Any ideas without having to post up pics?

had a wheel rotation recently?

There's not much grease in a rear wheel bearing to be visable if it leaked out.

The wheel rotation is the one I thought was most likely as recently I had a CV boot failure. I asked the guys over at Toyota whether they rotated the wheels and they were adamant that they did not, but they did clean the grease off the rim (what can I say - they love me).

I'll get the pressure cleaner to it, wash the crud off, and see if it returns.

SB: waaaaay too much grease on it to have driven through a puddle of it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if my FW neighbour poured some onto the rim!

Addt: There is NO grease (or whatever it is) on the outer part of the rim (ie, the facade), only inside.

grease caked on the inside of the rim only is usually the sign of a well split outer CV boot. I'd put money on it that they rotated the wheels front to rear

Are you sure it's grease?

After I wash the car or if it's wet outside, the inside of my wheels get this spray of diry black sh!t all the way around. Turns out there is a lot of crud and brake dust on the inner surface of the disc rotor shields (not suprisingly), and when it gets wet between the disc and the shield it flings the crud outward all over the inner rim of the wheel. Very annoying and difficult to clean <_<

I'd say the mech rotated your wheels and forgot. Most of the time the guy at the service desk doesn't know what the technician has done. hell, most of the time the technician forgets what he's done as soon as the car leaves the hoist.