advice req. re transponder ignition key

twoeasy

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same problem. I have the 4 cylinder 2003 Camry. I have lost the spare key. I am stunned at the price of replacing it. I have searched the net high and low and am still confused as to the cheapest way of replacing it. It appears that you can get a blank transponder key off the net, have it cut by a locksmith and then follow a set of instructions to program this key as long as you have the main key [which I do].

I have not had any luck on Oz ebay with finding this blank key. Looking on the USA site I have come across many said keys but it appears that their Camry run ran from around 98 to 04. Our Camry here started the new look in 2002, so the USA model key will probably not suit my model?

I have been told that the transponder key I require should have either the chip Texas 4C or the 4D in it. Does any one know if this is true? If this is the case, there is a mob in Thialand advertising both these keys for around $12 each.

CAN ANYONE HELP me with a. what Texas model chip I need in the transponder. b. instructions on programing said spare key.

Would appreciate any comments.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same problem. I have the 4 cylinder 2003 Camry. I have lost the spare key. I am stunned at the price of replacing it. I have searched the net high and low and am still confused as to the cheapest way of replacing it. It appears that you can get a blank transponder key off the net, have it cut by a locksmith and then follow a set of instructions to program this key as long as you have the main key [which I do].

I have not had any luck on Oz ebay with finding this blank key. Looking on the USA site I have come across many said keys but it appears that their Camry run ran from around 98 to 04. Our Camry here started the new look in 2002, so the USA model key will probably not suit my model?

I have been told that the transponder key I require should have either the chip Texas 4C or the 4D in it. Does any one know if this is true? If this is the case, there is a mob in Thialand advertising both these keys for around $12 each.

CAN ANYONE HELP me with a. what Texas model chip I need in the transponder. b. instructions on programing said spare key.

yeah sadly getting a new key from Toyota is expensive. As the GEN 4 have a built in immobilizer, the key has a built in chip. Not sure how to program the Chip inside the key, but I know how to program the keyless remote. You really don't have any other option other than Toyota. You might be able to get some imitations but just beware!

• 1 month later...

On a similar note.. my remote button has stopped working.. so I have to unlock and lock manually (Camry 98) The unit can't be opened. Does anyone know if it has a battery and if so do they get replaced. If no battery.. what allows it to send. The unit is completely sealed unlike others I've seen, allowing for a battery replacement.

If not... what are the likely causes of it failing ( I noticed that it briefly worked again on one occasion but from the passenger side only. Now it doesn't work anywhere.

Cheers

The key i dont know, it might be worth a try with the Singapore ones for $12, its not a big loss if it doesnt work & big bonus if it does work

as for the remote, i picked 2 up from Toyota for $35 and its a sinch to program. takes all of 1min

Edited by BlindEyeSight

• 1 month later...

Master Key Part from Toyota Australia: 89780-YC030

Remote Key part from Toyota Australia: 89785-26020

Instructions to ADD additional remote for Australian Camry 1997 - 2000 (not sure about 2001 onwards)

1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.

2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF three times. Please push hard when doing this so that ON OFF action is smooth.

4. The security light on the dash will come on in a steady manner and will not flash.

5. Press the original remote button (single one for the Australian Camry).

6. Then press newly purchased remote once.

7. You are now done.

Instructions to ADD duplicate transponder key for Australian Camry 1997 -2000 (not sure about 2001)

Requires one working Toyota Master Key.

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times. Please push hard when doing this so that ON OFF action is smooth.

4. Making sure that there is no one nearby (for safety reasons), Open and close the driver side door 6 times.

5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.

6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON. This step is important.

7. The new key will be registered after 70 seconds (There is no indication when programming is complete at least for the Australian Camry. Turn new key to OFF position and Open the door once to complete programming cycle.

8. Take key out and put it back into ignition and turn on engine. The car should start.

Was getting my coffee at Gloria Jeans when I looked at the Mr Minit store next door and they had a huge sign saying they do Transponder keys.

This from their website.

http://www.mrminit.com.au/detailsnews.php?news_id=8

No need to go back to your vehicle manufacturer or dealership for extra keys. MINIT can duplicate and clone a large variety of Transponder/Immobilizer Keys

What do you need to do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring your key to Mister MINIT with the make and model of your vehicle. Our qualified operators will check your key and advise if they are able to duplicate it

What Keys can Mister MINIT duplicate?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mister MINIT can duplicate a very large range of Transponder Keys, although some makes and models cannot be duplicated via our services.

CHECK YOUR NEAREST STORE ON OUR STORE LOCATOR.

SAVE MONEY AND CALL NOW! TO SEE IF WE CAN DUPLICATE YOUR KEY

FREE TESTING AVAILABLE IN STORE!

• 5 months later...

what is the thailand website in question

• 1 year later...
On a similar note.. my remote button has stopped working.. so I have to unlock and lock manually (Camry 98) The unit can't be opened. Does anyone know if it has a battery and if so do they get replaced. If no battery.. what allows it to send. The unit is completely sealed unlike others I've seen, allowing for a battery replacement.

If not... what are the likely causes of it failing ( I noticed that it briefly worked again on one occasion but from the passenger side only. Now it doesn't work anywhere.

Cheers

One of my sealed remotes for a 2003 Camry stopped working last week. I searched the web and found a post by someone in Sydney ( link

) suggesting that one could use a hacksaw to carefully cut the remote open and then solder a new battery in. I also saw info that a new remote costs about $100. I checked with Toyota in Waterloo, Sydney, and it is $40 for the remote and $60 to reprogram. My manual does not have instructions on reprogramming - it says it must be done by Toyota. I have no soldering skills but I decided to open the remote anyway (using a hacksaw) to test the battery. The battery was still showing 3.1v. The battery is located in the underside of the remote's PCB, and the negative side of the battery is forced onto a contact on the underside of the pcb by the bottom half of the remote. I discovered that if I squeezed the battery onto the contact then the remote worked perfectly, even from 15m away. This suggests that the battery was previously no longer making contact. So I added some packing into the bottom half of the remote and taped the two halves together. So far it is still working.

One possible way to check if the battery contact is a problem without cutting the remote open may be to carefully drill a hole into the underside of the remote about 1 cm from the loop, in the middle, so that using eg coat hanger wire one can try to force the battery onto the pcb. If this makes the remote work then you know it's not the battery that is dead and can think of how to jam it onto the contact.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Master Key Part from Toyota Australia: 89780-YC030

Remote Key part from Toyota Australia: 89785-26020

Instructions to ADD additional remote for Australian Camry 1997 - 2000 (not sure about 2001 onwards)

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF three times. Please push hard when doing this so that ON OFF action is smooth.

4. The security light on the dash will come on in a steady manner and will not flash.

5. Press the original remote button (single one for the Australian Camry).

6. Then press newly purchased remote once.

7. You are now done.

Instructions to ADD duplicate transponder key for Australian Camry 1997 -2000 (not sure about 2001)

Requires one working Toyota Master Key.

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times. Please push hard when doing this so that ON OFF action is smooth.

4. Making sure that there is no one nearby (for safety reasons), Open and close the driver side door 6 times.

5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.

6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON. This step is important.

7. The new key will be registered after 70 seconds (There is no indication when programming is complete at least for the Australian Camry. Turn new key to OFF position and Open the door once to complete programming cycle.

8. Take key out and put it back into ignition and turn on engine. The car should start.

Eventhough, this is an old post however the information was very helpful, much appreciated. It helped me to resolve my wife's car ignition barrel issue,

cheers Hayden.

PS, MR minnit can't program toyota ignition key, I've asked?

Edited by hayden