Is 1zz worth the mods?

Hi guys, just checked out the site, interesting reads. I own an 03 1zz rolla hatch. Ive got extractors, exhaust, and panel filter. I was strapped for cash so I couldnt afford the sportivo (which I adore). Im currently slowly yet surely doing some work on it. Should I just wait and buy a sportivo (which will be in the very distant future) or work on my 'beast' and see what I can extract from it. I personally would like to see what I can get from my 100kw engine, but what is your input?

Cheers

Theres plenty able to be done to a 1zz rolla hatch. I have one myself but am more on the visual side of things rather than performance.

Grimlock on these forums dropped a TRD supercharger into his rolla, sounds like he got great performance from it.

I have a custom Cold air intake and remus exhaust, 1zzfe also has a remus exhaust (sorry thats not your name bud, cant remember :()

I would say its worth it, personal preferance. Sportivos have their problems occasionally, but are fantastic sleepers... however.. a rolla with an ascent (or whatever you have) badge on the back that runs like *** knows what is even better for a sleeper.

I personally would go for getting the most you can out of the 1zz, its a great car to drive and is very stable.

A few of us guys have modified our 1zz's so if you have any questions or anything like that just post in the corolla forum and no doubt at least a couple of us can answer you! :)

i used to own a 2002 levin hatch...and after spending $2,000 just on exhaust experiments, i just thought..why not just buy a sportivo.

so, that's what i did.

i personally reckon the 1zz is a little bit more "easier" when it comes to modifying and getting more performance out of it. The 2zz is a different story, it's already highly strung from the factory...so....yeah...to get more...cost HEAPS more too.

=)

Chris

it's already highly strung from the factory...so....yeah...to get more...cost HEAPS more too.

Thats a bit wrong, the mods don't cost anymore wether your modifying a tivo or rolla.

CAI is still the same price.

Exhaust is still the same price.

Flywheel is still the same price.

Suspension and Wheels are still the same price.

Swaybars are still the same price.

Headers and extractors would still be the same price (4cyl extractors)

Supercharger is still the same... oh wait... you guys cant get a supercharger. :D :P :D

:lol:

Just making a point that mods are expensive no matter what car you have, as long as your not cutting shortcuts and modify properly it will cost the same normally.

Depends on what you're happy with. I'm pretty happy with mine with the very little that I've done - even though I know that I won't go as quite quick as I would in a Sportivo, you'd find that if you add a CAI ( AEM, Injen, TRD or others ) you'll see a big difference in performance.

The cheapest option is to upgrade to a 2ZZ Sportivo if you stick with Toyota. Remember resale would be greater and you get more features such as leather etc.

Or you can modify your 1ZZ.

I have a 1ZZ-FE as well... i'm currently contemplating suspesion modifications instead of engine modifications. So for the same price as lowered springs, full exhaust system and intake, I'm leaning towards a full suspension set up.

anyone know how much more power you gain from your breathing mods for 1ZZ-FE?

I have a 1ZZ-FE as well... i'm currently contemplating suspesion modifications instead of engine modifications. So for the same price as lowered springs, full exhaust system and intake, I'm leaning towards a full suspension set up.

Cougs, it's amazing how long you've resisted modding you car even though you hang around all those cars in Exclusive. I take my hat off to you. :D

I picked up ~6kw atw from the TRD CAI alone, i have just changed the rear muffler to get rid of a bit of back pressure ill see how it goes when our dyno day comes around but atm im sitting on 88.2kw atw (before rear muffler change)