Rear Passenger Door Keyed!!

mulla

Hi All,

Just as I went to drive my car this afternoon to officeworks to get some binding done, I've notice a rather big scratch on my rear passenger door which goes right across the door and "fortunately" was only on one panel (rear passenger door).

There's still some "paint powder" on it which makes me think it's only recently done and was definately not there yesterday! I'm suspecting that some idiot at my apartment block as done it :angry: Why would anyone key a Camry! What would do they do when they see an S Class Merc? Put some form of nuclear warhead on it to detonate on engine start up??? Admittingly I do keep my car clean and have some aftermarket rims on her but still.... it's only a Camry... WHY??? Can that person not even afford a car?? Why scratch up someone's car?? This is where I think the death penality should be brought back :angry:

Anyway, the scratch is not extremely deep you can't see the metal and it's still silver but you can definately feel the scratch by running your finger over it. What's the most economic way to get this fixed up? Do I need to get the whole panel resprayed? How much should I expect it to cost? I'm planning to call up a few panel beater places on Monday to get a few quotes.

It's a 2005 Camry Altise if that helps :(

One more think I'm worried about it if I get it fixed that fool is going to key my car again! Had thought about paying for secured parking elsewhere near my home but the cost is prohibitive almost $400 a month (I live close to the CBD). Which makes me wonder if I should get it fixed or not.

Thanks anyone with any hints and tips....

Hi All,

Just as I went to drive my car this afternoon to officeworks to get some binding done, I've notice a rather big scratch on my rear passenger door which goes right across the door and "fortunately" was only on one panel (rear passenger door).

There's still some "paint powder" on it which makes me think it's only recently done and was definately not there yesterday! I'm suspecting that some idiot at my apartment block as done it :angry: Why would anyone key a Camry! What would do they do when they see an S Class Merc? Put some form of nuclear warhead on it to detonate on engine start up??? Admittingly I do keep my car clean and have some aftermarket rims on her but still.... it's only a Camry... WHY??? Can that person not even afford a car?? Why scratch up someone's car?? This is where I think the death penality should be brought back :angry:

Anyway, the scratch is not extremely deep you can't see the metal and it's still silver but you can definately feel the scratch by running your finger over it. What's the most economic way to get this fixed up? Do I need to get the whole panel resprayed? How much should I expect it to cost? I'm planning to call up a few panel beater places on Monday to get a few quotes.

It's a 2005 Camry Altise if that helps :(

One more think I'm worried about it if I get it fixed that fool is going to key my car again! Had thought about paying for secured parking elsewhere near my home but the cost is prohibitive almost $400 a month (I live close to the CBD). Which makes me wonder if I should get it fixed or not.

Thanks anyone with any hints and tips....

Lol.. i totally get you! i'm in the same boat, only that my camry is a 2001 model and ONLY a CSI... it's stock as a rock and it got keyed REALLY deep on 2 doors and across the front quarter panel.. :angry:

Thanks all for the support :) after reading your responses it does make me wonder what these people are thinking and what's the point of vandalising a standard car that's out there by the thousands!

Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk I guess. I found this place, has anyone had any experiences with them? Or similar shops? What kinda savings can I expect and is there any difference in quality in getting the entire panel resprayed?

http://www.autopaintfix.com.au/?g=1

• 3 weeks later...

i wouldnt use a touch up pen just yet. what colour is it, if it is not white,black,red,yellow (lol) then it would prolli be metallic paint. then it would have a clear coat.

though it is deep enough of your finger to get stuck upon, i would use some detailing products. though this might not always be the "most" economical way, it beats applying touchup paint to your clear coat. and by the next 5washes your scratch will just reappear again, defeating the purpose of "touching" it up.

i would use some form of small abrasive application. the common one i use is meguiar's scratch x.

if u refer to this link, u can see the before and after fotos of this guys scratch, and how he got rid of it using scratch x. i must warn u, u need alot of time and patience. and before u do anything, u need the knowledge of how to use the product. if u love your car heaps and do it properly, then id expect results :toast:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/thread/48666.aspx

the guy took a long long time to level down the clear coat and did it over 5 applications of scratch x.

hope this helps. if u want to go this way then just let me know and i will find the links to the threads on how to properly remove it with this product.

cheers

Wixy, thanks for that link! Didn't think Scratch X can do it for a scratch that deep and have such near perfect result, well in the photos anyway. Car is Silver (metallic) and yes scratch is deep enough for fingernail to be caught in there.

Getting a paint repairer to do it this time since it's already booked but will definately try the DIY trick next time. Well, certainly hope there is NO next time!!!!

Thanks Wixy for the link will bookmark for ref :)

Wixy, thanks for that link! Didn't think Scratch X can do it for a scratch that deep and have such near perfect result, well in the photos anyway. Car is Silver (metallic) and yes scratch is deep enough for fingernail to be caught in there.

Getting a paint repairer to do it this time since it's already booked but will definately try the DIY trick next time. Well, certainly hope there is NO next time!!!!

Thanks Wixy for the link will bookmark for ref :)

nps. if u dont have the time to go dyi its better to give it 2 the repairer anyway. that application the guy did took him 4hours x2 = 8hours.

this is by hand. not using machines, so paint repairer should have it done within a couple of hours, or less. cheers. do post pics of before and after!!

• 1 month later...

man i feel the same way too...i got my car totally repainted start of this year and yes its a camry tooo...abt a month after i go it done i was sitting in my car waiting for my GF and some asian dude parks his new 2005/6/7 honda civic and opens the door and slams my front passenger door...so i got out of the car and said wat the f*** are u doing....do u want me to key ur car??? lol guy was all scared and started to sweat like crazy....if it was some built wog guy i prob wldnt have done nethin..lol...bt coz he slammed his car door into mine and he was kinda scrawny lookin i thght i might as well do something...since my GF was gettin her nails and wax job i was like meh i got 30mins to spare y not...lol...btw all i got out of tht was scaring some asian guy...lol...im pathetic i know...bt i jst wanted to make a point to him even tho my camry aint as expensive as his new civic i still have pride for my ride...seriously i think its not worth repainting unless ur plannin to keep it as a show car and lock it up in ur garage...coz some idiot is gonna ruin ur nice paintjob...

man i feel the same way too...i got my car totally repainted start of this year and yes its a camry tooo...abt a month after i go it done i was sitting in my car waiting for my GF and some asian dude parks his new 2005/6/7 honda civic and opens the door and slams my front passenger door...so i got out of the car and said wat the f*** are u doing....do u want me to key ur car??? lol guy was all scared and started to sweat like crazy....if it was some built wog guy i prob wldnt have done nethin..lol...bt coz he slammed his car door into mine and he was kinda scrawny lookin i thght i might as well do something...since my GF was gettin her nails and wax job i was like meh i got 30mins to spare y not...lol...btw all i got out of tht was scaring some asian guy...lol...im pathetic i know...bt i jst wanted to make a point to him even tho my camry aint as expensive as his new civic i still have pride for my ride...seriously i think its not worth repainting unless ur plannin to keep it as a show car and lock it up in ur garage...coz some idiot is gonna ruin ur nice paintjob...

you just let him go like that? why didn't u get him to repair the damages..?

you just let him go like that? why didn't u get him to repair the damages..?

it was jst a lil ding i could have but then i thght i shldnt get into it coz im a Red P plater...he wld prob crash his car and blame it on me...and we all know how insurance companies like to blame P platers....its not worth it

Edited by wishbone