1986 ST162

Tidge

Hello,

My name's Axel, call me Tidge. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

I recently bought a white 1986 ST162 Celica, for a fair $1800. It's got the 3S-GE engine with the 5-speed manual cogbox, which have 310,xxxkms on it. Being a Toyota engine, I assume it will still keep going strong for quite a while. This car is my daily driver for the time being.

Also, the car has 5-spoke alloy factory Celica wheels which I have never seen on this model before. It's a 5-spoke kind of twisted star design.

I'll get some pictures up soon. :)

It's a pretty good car, though naturally with the price I got it at, I've had to fix a few things up.

The engine mounts desperately need replacing, I believe the synchro on 2nd gear has buggered up, front shockers were gone, need new side-view mirrors (power) and also the black air-dam that mounts on the front bumper is missing. The engine runs fine despite running a little rich (can smell it) but being an EFI engine, I don't know how to tune it. I did adjust the timing to 10 BTDC like my workshop manual says it should be and that seems fine (although I can hear a little pop coming from the muffler end). I did, however, manage to pick up some injectors from a wrecker, so I might put these in over the weekend.

Done so far...

-New sport tyres

Dunlop Regal Sport Comfort 500, R14, nothing fancy but it's a mean tread

-Cold air induction

Replaced the factory air filter system with a high-flow filter and air-cooling system. I know it's cliche` these days and that some people say "cold-air" kits make no better performance compared to standard in-bay pod filters, but the difference was really noticeable moving up to a pod-filter from a factory standard system. The filter is positioned at the front end of the vehicle, with the air-cooling system plumbed back to the air-flow sensor which was repositioned as close as possible to the T-VIS injection unit.

-Front suspension struts (shockers)

The factory struts that were left in there were so shot, there was no resistance at all. While I was checking them, I discovered adjustable dampers in the rear, while the front still had its stock shockers. I replaced the standard fluid-filled pistons with Monroe GT Gas strut inserts.

That's it so far. I was thinking of fabricating my own subtle body-kit, including a more modern looking rear-wing and front bumper, but we'll see how I go.

Is there any advice you could offer me or perhaps any heads-ups you could give relating to this vehicle? Perhaps suggestions for upgrades, things to look out for in this model?

Also, if there are any parts available that you're aware of, if you could please notify me, that would be appreciated! Particularly the mounts and air-dam.

I'm pretty new to the Toyota scene, so whatever you can tell me will probably help!

Thanks,

-Tidge.

Edited by Tidge

cool. Nice. My first car was an ST162. I had the ST which had the 3SFE engine. First thing you should do is change the oil and spark plugs. just to give yourself a good baseline so you know how the engine runs. they are pretty reliable cars but you may need to replace things such as clutch slave cynlinders, rear main seals (do the clutch while the gearbox is out), water pump, thermostat, starter motor, and maybe a few more wear-and-tear bits. you'll only need to replace them when/if they're broken though.

The 2nd gear synchro should be the last thing to replace if you're on a budget. some nicely time double clutching and Heal-and-toe should avoid the crunching for a while.

anyway, have fun with the celica. :yahoo:

Edited by qkslvr

Thanks guys.

Heel-and-toe is how I drive anyway, so I already do that. =)

I'm not new to the automotive or mechanical scene, just Front Wheel Drive. My first car was an old '75 Holden Gemini, which was also my first racer and tuning learner. =P A '77 Porsche 924 was the successor of my Gemini.

Already changed the oil and filters. The clutch seems to be pretty new and good grip, so I'll leave it be.

-Tidge.

Celica001Medium.jpg

These are the alloys that are on the car since I bought it, but they're missing the plastic centre cap that says "celica" (found one in the boot lol)

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these alloys actually come from?

They are a Toyota wheel (says so on the inner lip!).

-Tidge.

Celica001Medium.jpg

These are the alloys that are on the car since I bought it, but they're missing the plastic centre cap that says "celica" (found one in the boot lol)

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these alloys actually come from?

They are a Toyota wheel (says so on the inner lip!).

-Tidge.

They look like the ones from the 5th Gen celica. The original wheels for the 4th gen where 13" alloys. Here is a link to pics of my old ST182 coupe

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/141crypto.htm

Edited by qkslvr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tidge, man, *ouch*....sigh.....I feel for you, that really does suck.

I mean, I just bought a old, dodgy 1986 Celica ST162 on eBay of all places, $800.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...bayphotohosting

I haven't even seen it yet, I'm banking on it probably needing work - the seller seems to have described it fairly well, and the problems, but I'm still banking on there being a bit of work, I have little idea in these things (my father's the car fanatic, not I). I'm hoping to use this as a good project to learn more, as my car knowledge is currently pretty meagre.

What are members opinion on that auction? Anything particularly wrong? Did I just get shafted?

Ah well, guess I'll see how it turns out. I'm in Sydney, so I have to go out to Wollongong to get this car, either tow it, or car-trailer it.

I'm guessing your car was a similar one? Is the car completely totalled? Or are repairs too costly? You're in South Australia, but if you have parts, I'm still willing to buy, I guess, which might go some way to whatever upgrade you're getting :rolleyes:.

Cheers,

Victor

My email is victorhooi (at) yahoo (dot_) COM, btw.

Edited by Victor Hooi

Hey Axel! sorry to hear about the celica hope you end up getting another im looking at getting rid of my alfas and getting one myself :P

Are you the guy i tried to sell my ****ty faded red 84 celica too? I lived in Mitcham... interested in an alfa33 or 82 scorpion at all? haha

• 1 month later...
Wow. That needs a bit of work. Have fun! Convert it to a GT4

I think a BIT of work is an understatement. Didn't you read the posts above? The car is crashed, declared a write-off.

Also, I don't have the time or money to convert it. ;)

Yes I still have the car! Feel free to contact me if you are interested in obtaining parts. :)

A special item I can offer is one KYB adjustable shocker suspension strut, rear. :lol: The other one was damaged.

-Tidge.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the 1988 model ST162 with the 3S-GELC motor and the Heavy Duty 5 speed box.

few probs though....

steering pump/rack needs replacing

Clutch needs replacing

Need to fix a part in the upholstery of the drivers seat that was cut out.

Shockers are on their way out too.....

and it needs a radio (not that i'm inclined to actualy use it.

I got 17" wheels on mine.

It's also been tinted and has a short shift kit in it (last owner)

all in all should be a good little jigger.

• 10 months later...
I got the 1988 model ST162 with the 3S-GELC motor and the Heavy Duty 5 speed box.

few probs though....

steering pump/rack needs replacing

Clutch needs replacing

Need to fix a part in the upholstery of the drivers seat that was cut out.

Shockers are on their way out too.....

and it needs a radio (not that i'm inclined to actualy use it.

I got 17" wheels on mine.

It's also been tinted and has a short shift kit in it (last owner)

all in all should be a good little jigger.

hey do you know where they got the short shifter from i'm lookin for one but can't find anywhere