New Skyline!

Hey guys, in case you haven't heard - the GT-R is back! After the infiniti, im sure a lot of people thought nissan had turned all their efforts to the mid range 350Z. Think again... (cue music)... introducing the R35 model.

bilde7_321.jpg

Apparently, they've dropped the Skyline brand- this one is being badged simply as the GT-R.

480bhp, 20"wheels, 0-100 in 3.5secs... sounds the business :whistling:

Wheels magazine reckons the projected base model price tag is around the $160,000 AUD mark.

What do you reckon then? Worth buying - or keep saving the pennies for a proper (european) sportscar?

(Personally i prefer the R34)

heard the skylines turbo are always on boost like the ones in the rally cars forgot what the system is called

"Anti-Lag System"? "Backfiring System"?

But, but what about the FT-HS. Wheres the loyalty??

I wouldn't go out of my way to vomit on that thing... looks terrible.

Toyota have dropped the ball in terms of performance

Ouch, not for everyone then. But I do agree, it seems all the 'fast' cars stopped being made 10 years ago, from most of the brands, not just Toyota.

[quote name='CjRasmu' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:20 PM' post='200334'

Ouch, not for everyone then. But I do agree, it seems all the 'fast' cars stopped being made 10 years ago, from most of the brands, not just Toyota.

Why would they continue doing so though? Look at it in terms of cost vs returns - in a MARGINAL sense. Take the R34 GT-R for example. Cult hero. Why is that? 'Cos best of none were made. Yet it was an absolutely groundbreaking machine. Nissan barely even broke even in the creation of it though. The technology and time required to engineer it etc made it horrendously expensive for them to produce, and therefore this cost was going to be passed on to the consumer. Yet who is going to buy the car when they pass on such costs? So they have to sell it with a lesser profit margin, to keep it attractive. To make it really viable, they'd have to sell a lot to compensate for that reduced margin (hence why the corolla does so well, cheap to produce = greater marginal returns). But due to the time and effort required, making that many GT-R's was simply not an option.

There is no prestige, for want of a better word, in the Japanese car market - why spend so much money building car that will account for f**k all of a percentage of total sales? Hence why the WRX and Evo have remained - they are quick, but still relatively cheap (around $50k - $60k for a new one) - whereas the top shelf skylines, supras, and RX-7's pushed the budget more than a bit. The old european mentality remains - if people are going to fork out loads of dosh, they want an established luxury brand with a long reputation. Again, this explains why lexus has never been that popular - why fork out $70k (the price of a base model BMW), when its cousin, the top of the line toyota (altezza, aurion, soarer etc) is 20k -30k cheaper, and not all that different??

Exactly, Japan has dropped the ball... Can't believe VW is taking over bang for buck performance with the R32 and GTi...

What happened to the Silvias, the Skylines, Celica GT4, Supra, Chaser, Mazda Familiar GTR, Turbo RX7's... if we were all ten years younger we would have had a myriad of affordable turbo performance to choose from.

Now what do we get? Watered down 350Z, RX8, WRX, FWD turbo Mazdas... Even Ford has picked up on the turbo idea... WTF

Exactly, Japan has dropped the ball... Can't believe VW is taking over bang for buck performance with the R32 and GTi...

What happened to the Silvias, the Skylines, Celica GT4, Supra, Chaser, Mazda Familiar GTR, Turbo RX7's... if we were all ten years younger we would have had a myriad of affordable turbo performance to choose from.

Now what do we get? Watered down 350Z, RX8, WRX, FWD turbo Mazdas... Even Ford has picked up on the turbo idea... WTF

Now with the gentleman's agreement is well and truly out the window, through the introduction of the GTR, i'm sure that throughout the years, the Japanese will spring back and again incorporate 'economy and performance' whilst bringing it to the Europeans to the next level.

Fingers crossed?

Guest dong-soo

gone are the days of affordable sports car.... other than mx5 there is not many left that stick to traditon....

skyline 40 years of straight six (other than 1 that used amazing 4cyl this was famouse !! )

now skyline uses v6 layout... >__<

looket cost of gt-r....

gone are the days of affordable sports car.... other than mx5 there is not many left that stick to traditon....

skyline 40 years of straight six (other than 1 that used amazing 4cyl this was famouse !! )

now skyline uses v6 layout... >__<

looket cost of gt-r....

heard toyota and subie r gonna make the 'new ae86'-cheap sports car, RWD, light weight and high revving

hope its true

It's a shame to see all the cars i knew as a kid dissapear due to market factors. But this a harsh reality. The "Golden Era" where the "big boys" drove Skylines, Supras, RX7s, 300zx...etc and the budget sports fans drove Integra's, Celicas...etc are gone. The market for these cars have been obliterated just as in the motorcyle world where the market for 250cc sports bikes where wiped out virtually overnight. hence the lack of new 250cc sports bikes in the last 10years.

looks okie . but i wouldn't spend 160,000 on a nissan or toyota .... drop the nissan to $60,000 maybe people will buy it

Nissan already do, its called a 350z.

I think the whole 'cars were better 10 years ago' mentality is a case of the grass is always greener.

That ae86 redo is a bit bland looking, I hope they do something to fix it up.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
Edited by SuperDave

I had an interesting evening last night having a BBQ with a few fellow AW11 owners. We were going through some old mags from when they were released and I noticed that they had a $35,000 price tag... and that was 20 years ago. In today's money that would be around $60-70,000. This GT-R would be priced at around $50,000 in relative terms at the same time. When you think about the R32 GTR being sold for I think it was ~$70,000 the prices seem to line up.

But, but what about the FT-HS. Wheres the loyalty??

800.jpg

Apparently noone likes the FT-HS (above)... I dont think its thaaaat bad....

So how about the hybrid version then (below)? The AV concept... toyota's electric car that does 0-100 in approx 4 secs. Impressive. (FYI: AV stands for Alessandro Volta - the guy who invented the battery.)

photo1.jpg

the new gt-r is in the GT5 Prologue Demo for PS3 =D

drives well =D hahaha

oh and it looks the sex in black! (makes the front look better) =)

Edited by spookz

• 5 months later...
looks okie . but i wouldn't spend 160,000 on a nissan or toyota .... drop the nissan to $60,000 maybe people will buy it

yeah same here...if i had 160gs i would spend it on a porsche.....they should def drop the price....i was never a big fan of the skyline newyz....

yeah same here...if i had 160gs i would spend it on a porsche.....they should def drop the price....i was never a big fan of the skyline newyz....

160 will not get you a Porsche... perhaps a Cayman or stock Boxter...

The Carrera range starts at approx 230...

Considering the new GTR has outrun the Carrera at the Nordschleife, and all the media thus far have said that the the two are a dead equal comparison, the only thing extra you seem to get in the Carrera is about 70 grand's worth of prestige.

Edited by Leroy