Aurion sports mode

ZZR88

hey!

i was wondering in Sports mode (semi-auto).

when changing gears, is it better to let go of the accel then change, or change while foot is still on accel? or doesnt matter?.

i had a fiddle around and found that if you let go of the accel and change gear, the gear changes straight away

but if you keep ur foot on the accel and change gear it lags a bit before it changes.

so which way is the best way/correct way ? or is there no difference?

Edited by ZZR88

good question...

I'd like to add another to that while we're on the whole topic of sports mode.

Will the car get a better 0-100km time when in sports mode compared to when in drive?

It should because the car stays in each gear for longer, if you change later that is

i only change to Sports mode once the car temp needle is in the middle range (normal)

not sure if it gives better 0-100 but i think over a country drive, it gives better mileage.

well if you change in semi mode while you accelerate and get that lagged, then definately a worst 0-100.

Havent really tested but how far does it go when you floor it on DRIVE?

If its anywhere as good as a DSG then perhaps DRIVE will get you a better result...

As for milage, depends on what situation, e.g. if coasting (sitting on neutral) is involved then perhaps Drive will get you more as sitting on seq will lock onto the engine and use engine braking everytime you take off your foot of the accelerator

Sports mode is a misnomer.

Its about as unsporting as it could be.

All it is is a lock out that prevents the car from selecting a higher gear for engine braking.

It will not downshift till below 3500 rpm and the lag in the change is such you can be sure the 0-100kmh which is only 1 change anyway will be slower than in drive 9 out of 10 times.

I personally dont think its wise get your foot off the accelerator when changing gears. Im not automatic transmission expert, but I believe the 'lag' is due to the torque converter, which essentially disconnects the engine from the transmission when changing gears (like a clutch)... therefore by taking your foot off the accelerator and then manually changing gears who knows if this is good for the torque converter and indeed the transmission itself! It may help acccleration though, because by taking your foot off the accelerator it means less load, the torque converter doesnt have to 'disconnect' it for as long and gear changes may be quicker. But yeah not knowing what effect this has on the transmission, which are more sensitive then engines to issues... I wouldnt do it.

i tried pushing it(0-130), not releasing the pedal, went up to 6500rpm++, with the lag when changing into higher gear, i m not sure if its faster than just putting it at D. Did not have the chance to use a timer to check any different, but i dont really dare to do it again, bcoz as aussiecamry said, not sure if there is any damage to the engine or any part of the trans.

i tried pushing it(0-130), not releasing the pedal, went up to 6500rpm++, with the lag when changing into higher gear, i m not sure if its faster than just putting it at D. Did not have the chance to use a timer to check any different, but i dont really dare to do it again, bcoz as aussiecamry said, not sure if there is any damage to the engine or any part of the trans.

Don't try in in your own car, get a hire car!!!! Their built for that kind of thing.

• 1 month later...
leave it on normal coz when i tested 0-100 normal i did it in 6.5sec n in sports moode i did it 6.9sec so it faster on normal

did you change gears with foot off acc. or did you take your foot off for change?

leave it on normal coz when i tested 0-100 normal i did it in 6.5sec n in sports moode i did it 6.9sec so it faster on normal

did you change gears with foot off acc. or did you take your foot off for change?

erm that makes no sense :) and even if it did make sense... foot off or foot on, I highly doubt if there's any difference

I have noticed that many here refer to the 'sports' mode on their Aurion's.

Just thought I'd mention that the transmission in the Aurion is not sold nor advertised as having a 'sports' mode.

It is purely a 'sequential' shift mode and that's what the 'S' on the instrument display stands for