Redrilling Rotors

Suprathai

Hi all,

To all the people that have done this to mod before, I would just like to know the legalities behind redrilling 5x100 PCD rotors to 4x100PCD.

I was in contact with a guy from a DBA stockist and was informed that it is against the law. From my understanding and experience, many people have travelled along this path and appears that there is no problems with it. I'm in NSW btw if state by state laws are different.

Cheers

Ok final question this time on this topic.

Redrilling 5x114.3?? My understandind is that its the centre hole that bares most of the load when braking, so I guess this shouldn't be a problem as well. I could talk to an engineer but I'll consult you guys first

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Cheers

when you redrill a 5x100 rotor to 4x100, you only drill 3 new holes. One of the original's is shared.

With 5x114.3 you might run out of realestate on the hub face to redrill them neatly.

The disc is held in place by the clamp force of the rim being bolted down, so as long as you have some meat around the disc holes it should work. If it's too close for comfort, Kevin at St Mary's can plug the original disc holes and then redrill new ones.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
in melb, any modifications to the braking system will req a engineering certificate

yeah if they can pick that its been modified.

redrilling the rotors sure sounds like a mod that should be done by an engineer i cant see why you couldnt do it

as rollamods said as long as theres enough meat around the holes it should be fine just gotta remember if theres any force transfered to the edge of the hole via the stud its the braking force divided by 4 so as long as its done correctly and professionally i doubt youll have any issues with an engineer giving it the ok

but id consult with one first.

as most part manufacturers would tell you if their product is altered in anyway or used differently to what they were specified then you become the manufacturer basically so any problems from that means your resposible bla bla ill shut up now