Platinum Sparks worthwile?

cosmichobo

G'day,

I've just been quoted $120 by my mechanic to replace my 2000 Camry's 4 spark plugs with platinums...

According to

u can get the org platinum bosch plugs at the Toyota Dealerships. Cost only ard $16 each.

(At least, that was in regards to a 98 Vienta... am assuming there's not a lot of difference??)

So, basically they were going to charge $60 labour... Are they as hard to replace on the Camry as they are on the Vienta?

Is it worthwhile getting the platinums over cheaper ones?

Cheers

cosmic

G'day,

I've just been quoted $120 by my mechanic to replace my 2000 Camry's 4 spark plugs with platinums...

According to

u can get the org platinum bosch plugs at the Toyota Dealerships. Cost only ard $16 each.

(At least, that was in regards to a 98 Vienta... am assuming there's not a lot of difference??)

So, basically they were going to charge $60 labour... Are they as hard to replace on the Camry as they are on the Vienta?

Is it worthwhile getting the platinums over cheaper ones?

Cheers

cosmic

Changing spark plugs is easy, especially on the 4-cylinders (is it a 5SFE or 2AZ?). The Vienta will be 6-cylinder, and the rear bank probably harder to get to, so $60 labour ($10 per plug) isn't that unreasonable, yet it is something that you can do at home, as long as you have a spark-plug socket, extension bar and the appropriate ratchet handle.

As to whether platinum plugs are worthwhile, that is usually up to personal preference. The extra cost balances out with the extended life, but most people I know tend to stick to standard plugs (at least on the slightly older Toyotas)

if ya got the tools ....do it your self, if ya got a v6 3vz or 1mz, then the back ones are goin to be a bitch if you dont want to take your plenum off. It can be done but if you got big hands then its goin to be a tight squeeze and you probly get cuts & scraps :P

platinum and iridium are supposed to have extended life and sparks better

Edited by BlindEyeSight

working for a Toyota dealership briefly,$120.00 plus 60 labour is pretty reasonable,It does include taking of the plenum chamber to get to the rear bank,Takes bugger all to do the front but the rears a bitch,also they recommend to replace the gasket too (cha ching!! :spiteful: ) takes like one & a half if u know wat ur doin just dont disconnect any vacuum hoses.

Working for a supplier sparkys (platinum) are abouts $18-$25,But u can put conventionals spark plugs back in just u gonna service them more frequently,Or ive had some customers request conv in the front bank & platinums in the rear (purely for cost cutting) conv spark plugs are abouts $6-$8 each (depending on brand)

hope this helps

Started to write a long winded reply and suddenly realised the poster was refrring to a 4 cylinder, not a V6.. But I would still put in platinums or even iridiums(they are cheaper). I used iridiums for my Corolla at a cost of $94....but you can get them cheaper, around $18 each.

platinum tipped plugs will last u like 5years or every 95,000ks...i dunno how normal plugs last for...does ne1 here noe how long non-plantinum lasts?

I didnt realise you got that much life out of the platinum. Probably cheaper to go with them if you only have to change them every 5 yrs.

'In theory' platinums last 100 000kms,but I recommend regular checks esp if the vehicle does limited 'city' kilometres,but i'de change them close to 60-80kms,For non platinums i'de change them over at 15-20 000 km,(thats just me) mainly because of the city K's i do & our dodgey bowser fuel..

I'm using platinum sparks at the moment, done 120,000 km. still going pretty good (do need a change tho)

if your a bit like me and find taking the plenum a drag, get platinums / iridiums and personally i'd DIY it. its always good to learn about this kind stuff, just incase.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a V6 definitely go the Platinums.

They last longer than plain old plugs + thats what Toyota specify as original equipment.

Just changed the plugs on my Camry V6

As above the front bank is easy, the rear a pain but can be done without removing the plenum.

You just need some extensions and a universal joint for your extensions.

Took me about 1 hour in total.

Cheers

Rolla02:

I'm just about due to change the plugs in my Camry I,ve had alook and I guessed it would be possible to do it that way. I have plenty of extensions etc . Did you have any trouble getting the leads out? A job best done with a cold engine. Any other hints or tips would be appreciated...

Rolla02:

I'm just about due to change the plugs in my Camry I,ve had alook and I guessed it would be possible to do it that way. I have plenty of extensions etc . Did you have any trouble getting the leads out? A job best done with a cold engine. Any other hints or tips would be appreciated...

Hey Topdog !

The rear plugs need to be attacked like this :

1.Engine definitely COLD. Loosen all 3 leads by twisting and lifting.

2.Plug closest to Brake Master Cylinder remove form that side of car. Other 2 plugs from the left or centre.

3.Buy a good quality 16mm Spark Plug Socket. (probably find that it is 1/4 inch drive, so you will need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch adapter)

I had problems removing the socket from the Spark Plugs. The socket would stay on the plug while the extension came out, so I taped the

socket to the adapter so it all came out as 1 peice.

4. Persistence will win. Dont give up !

Cheers

I believe I'll be in the running for some new sparkies... gonna get a couple of my Camry mates and a couple of beers and do it this weekend whilst on a Camcrew Cruise :P

FYI - from a mechanic;

Normal plugs... between 15-20k.

Platinums... 80-100k.

Irridiums... around the same as platinums, slightly better.

Thanks Rolla,,

Got all the tools, I usually tape the sockets in situations. A bit of heatshrink works well too, had to do a friends Nissan Pathfinder and the rear plug is a real doozy to get to.

Whipceacker, I am prone to the Iridiums after looking at he NGK website. Seems they are designed more for the modern "lean burnining motors" and they're $20 a set cheaper.

Thanks Rolla,,

Got all the tools, I usually tape the sockets in situations. A bit of heatshrink works well too, had to do a friends Nissan Pathfinder and the rear plug is a real doozy to get to.

Whipceacker, I am prone to the Iridiums after looking at he NGK website. Seems they are designed more for the modern "lean burnining motors" and they're $20 a set cheaper.

Lean burning... sounds like the Cam... :P

Just managed to change the plugs on a 95 Vienta, the back ones can be done without removing the plenum, but you need to fiddle around a bit, and you need the right tools, and a little luck. A few bare knuckles later and lots of swearing but they got done. My advice, for the sake of 60 bucks don't bother to do it yourself, I just wanted to see if it was possible.

I'll keep this short and sweet

YES :D they are worth it in the V6. change every 100,000, and they only cost between $18 -$32 per plug

FYI: I just bought NKG platinums. Cost $23 /per plug from repco :)

• 2 years later...

It does include taking of the plenum chamber to get to the rear bank,Takes bugger all to do the front but the rears a bitch,also they recommend to replace the gasket too

I had mine done and watched the bloke do it. He said not necessary to change gasket... What is the worst that can happen? A leak of some kind? :(

I understand that the appropriate spark plugs have twin electrodes such as (NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug - BKR6EKPB-11).

The plugs shown on Ebay have a single electrode.

Edit: They may use single electrodes on iridium plugs to the platinum plugs!

Edited by Ozzcaddy

I understand that the appropriate spark plugs have twin electrodes such as (NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug - BKR6EKPB-11).

The plugs shown on Ebay have a single electrode.

Edit: They may use single electrodes on iridium plugs to the platinum plugs!

Technically you shouldn't use the single electrode plugs on the 1mz-fe but many users have used the single electrode plugs without issue.

I'm using a set of the Denso IK22 Iridium plugs in my setup. I'm using a colder plug as the the supercharger generates extra heat and it will help with preventing pre-ignition (even though it's unlikely to happen with regular plugs anyway).