Wheels magazine rolled a AWD Grande Kluger

Taka

Sorry to raise the dead thread :)

Full details here http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...50001&vf=15

The Kluger's stability-control system has recently been a topic of discussion after a local car magazine rolled one on a dirt bend during testing. It was a closed road and no one was injured. But the driver believed the stability-control system was a factor in the incident. We don't want to get involved in the argument into who or what was to blame as we weren't there. But we can tell you this. Drive has tested several variants of the Kluger in recent months and I've personally covered a combined total close to 5000km in a number of them. In particular, we got up close and personal during Drive's Car of the Year awards last year, where all cars were tested extensively, including on a slalom, as well as a road course and racetrack. The 4WD Kluger won praise and the 2WD Kluger seven-seater won the people-mover class.

We did note, however, that the stability-control system in the Klugers (and the LandCruiser) we tested had a high threshold. That is, the system activated moments after the car got out of shape and then abruptly clamped the brakes.

We are strong advocates of stability control and believe you are better off having it than not. However, there may be some merit in Toyota revisiting the calibration of its system. In the past, Toyota has been criticised for having a stability-control system intervene too soon, so it seems unfair to be critical of the current set-up.

Kluger owners or potential buyers should not be alarmed or put off by any of this. We stand by our decision and would happily recommend this vehicle. Indeed, most drivers are extremely unlikely to encounter the same conditions that led to the rollover during a test on a closed dirt track.

This thread should be revived at least once a week to remind people of the dangers of computer controlled " safety " features in vehicles.

If I'm going to have a rollover, I would prefer it to be my mistake rather than the box full of Tandy Electronic bits that I dont even want in the vehicle.

Airplane passengers are assured of multiple backup systems in case of electronics failure. We car drivers only have seatbelts.

This thread should be revived at least once a week to remind people of the dangers of computer controlled " safety " features in vehicles.

If I'm going to have a rollover, I would prefer it to be my mistake rather than the box full of Tandy Electronic bits that I don't even want in the vehicle.

Airplane passengers are assured of multiple backup systems in case of electronics failure. We car drivers only have seat belts.

I think the Troopys calling you?

The Bottom line says it all Taka, I reckon they will be fixed (re-calibrated) when they go in for a Toyota Service and we will not even know about it, wont stop the body roll but will help with the ant roll over, the new land cruiser has the same problem from a test I saw.

Kluger owners or potential buyers should not be alarmed or put off by any of this. We stand by our decision and would happily recommend this vehicle. Indeed, most drivers are extremely unlikely to encounter the same conditions that led to the rollover during a test on a closed dirt track.

Just don't drive like a maniac with a trailer on in the twisty stuff going up the Bell Road the wife gives greater pain :rolleyes:

May be it rolled because it had no weight in it at the time! Funny how it corners better with a trailer in tow than not :blink:

Even with bad press in Wheels or with them ignoring the Kluger, it was never listed as being launched, it has become the best selling medium sized SUV in Australia; the only SUV that sold more was the RAV4. I find this incredible as you can't even buy one when you want it; I have heard from other people, not just this forum, that the wait is over 3 months for an order.

Maybe Toyota did't supply a car for the comparison with Mazda, Ford & Subaru as they are finding Wheels' conlclusions to be irrelevant in respect to what buyers of their cars actually want. They were unimpressed by the Corolla, but the sales figures seem to be OK for that car. They have said, rightly, that the Aurion is a 6 cylinder Camry, but they don't mention that the combined sales would put it above Falcon almost every month. Even the Yaris, which they liked, they said was too expensive against the competition, but it still sells better.

I subscribe to Wheels and will continue to, but mainly because their reviews of performance cars seem to be a little more mature than those of Motor, which I also subscribe to. I just feel they may be losing touch with what people actually want to spend their money on.

Sorry about the rant, but I was looking forward to seeing how the Kluger faired against the competition. In the end it didn't matter as they didn't properly compare the features that I was looking for when I bought my kluger.

• 2 years later...

It shows that as vehicles become more technologically "smart" it does not mean that drivers can become complascent and rely on the smarts to do the work at the expense of driver attitude, concentration and thinking about how to appropriatly positoin a vehicle onth e road in differing circumstances.