Headlight Protectors with HID ?

riftime

Hi all,

I have a Presara and would like to protect the headlights against chips / cracks. I've heard someone say that with HID you can't (shouldn't) use any protectors. Has anyone else heard that and can explain why? Alternatively I've seen some plastic rubbery adhesive film that can be trimmed to size and placed over the lens providing protection while being fairly invisible. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I have a Presara and would like to protect the headlights against chips / cracks. I've heard someone say that with HID you can't (shouldn't) use any protectors. Has anyone else heard that and can explain why? Alternatively I've seen some plastic rubbery adhesive film that can be trimmed to size and placed over the lens providing protection while being fairly invisible. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks.

Just logically thinking, the protectors might disperse the HID light beam more resulting in some kind of glare or reflection.

Don't quote me on this, but this is what i think :whistling:

Hi all,

Thanks.

Have you talked to your Toyota Dealer about the Genuine Toyota Headlight protectors?

I have a Presara fitted with toyota headlight & bonnet protectors, they seem fine to me.

So I purchased a product that is a plastic/rubber adhesive film that you need to trim and apply to the headlights which protects against scratches and dents. Given the awkward shape of the Aurion headlights (and their curvy nature), it took me ages to trim a template on a piece of paper (with cuts just in the right places to wrap around nicely). Then I used the paper to trace an outline on the film and cut it prior to application.

... about 2 hours later I had one light covered with film (template only required for one side, just turn it over for the other side).

Was not happy with the result, it didn't look completely invisible. Although I managed to avoid having any air bubbles, there were marks/lines where the glue was moved around during the application. I used a heat gun (on low setting just enough to moderately heat up the film) to remote it. Fortunately all glue came off with it clean, no residue to figure out how to remove. I noticed that when hot/warm, the film was very soft. Perhaps I should have heated it up during the application as well (although it was 28 degrees in the garage when I applied it). Not sure if I can be bothered trying again, has anyone had better luck than I ?

If anyone wants a copy of the template I can try to scan it and place some dimensions around for 1:1 printing.

Have you talked to your Toyota Dealer about the Genuine Toyota Headlight protectors?

I have a Presara fitted with toyota headlight & bonnet protectors, they seem fine to me.

DerekD, good eough for me, I will get them. Some salesman at some dealer told me that they are incompatible though and shouldn't be used. Not sure what he based that on. Yes they fit on the Aurion lights, but shouldn't be used on the Presara with HID. Anyway, since you've reported no problems I'm convinced... thanks.