Family matters: Mazda CX-9, Subaru Tribeca, Toyota Kluger

boleh

$7000 can buy you a good DVD with lots of change left. But I don't think the change can get the 9 a smart entry, power tailgate, integrated bluetooth in the sat nav.

Not to say they cost more to service and run, and I have reserved to tow my sport Mazda to racetrack. But I also want to own one.

For me personally, 7 seater was never a requirement; would gladly by a 5 seater if avaliable in Grande. Enough power is however; but as far as I read it Kluger dosn't have aproblem there (201kW vs 190 in Tribeca). And I need some [soft] offroad ability and towing! As far as I read it - Mazda has only 140mm there.

So...

Edited by Kruzenvax

For towing. The same spec of Mazda CX-9 in the states is 3500lbs which is 1600kg (and the same goes for CX-7 in the state, which is 3500lbs = 1600kg in Australia). So in Australia, barring there are subtle differencees in the tow bar, should rate 1600kg not 2000kg.

That is why I did not wait to look at the CX-9 and went to buy the Kluger.

2 tonne is heavy weight and I know it (just tow it recently to the country)...

I disregarded the CX-9 as a choice because it was just too long. Parking, especially in the garage, would have been a problem. The Kluger is only slightly bigger than a car.

I also wanted sat-nav which wasn't available in the Mazda.

I wanted seats with memory, but also memory on steering and mirrors, so that didn't change my mind either.

I only wanted the third row occasionally, but wanted them to be comfortable. This was why I ruled out the Teritory without even driving it.

As far as looks go, and this is just my opinion, Toyotas may be a bit bland, but Subarus are ugly, so that ruled out the Tribeca.

I liked the Volvo and BMW, but they were terrible value for money if you wanted a similar spec to the Kluger.

I have driven the XC90. They are not bad, but it will understeer and the turning circle is HORRIBLE! I cannot even get around the around abouts in Hawthorn without paying good attention.

The car is great but no reverse camera it is hard to park. V6 engine is poo material and no power there at all. The diesel engine is great.

X5 should be good, but who would pay $100K for it? I doubt most X5 owner pay for it outright anyway, their business prob pay for most of it!!

I disregarded the CX-9 as a choice because it was just too long.

Thats a good point, my Lexus sedan is actually longer than the new Kluger!

Im really impressed with how much space is in the new model Kluger without it being gargantuan. :)

• 3 months later...

I have done all of the comparisons again, and the Kluger was still the only choice; don't beleive women when they say size doesn't matter.

Also, after having the Grande for 6 months, we would not go without the keyless start and entry or the power tailgate.

I have an AWD Grande arriving in July and will pick up a FWD 5 seat KX-R tommorrow.

I needed a car for carrying loads but couldn't handle going back to a van. The KX-R didn't compare too badly on price with a van, but is much nicer to drive.

It will be interesting to compare the fuel consumption between the heaviest and lightest versions of the Kluger, especially as I try to watch the consumption.

So, in July, will I be the first one to have 2 Klugers?

After a hard day in the office and on the shop floor and I mean some testing days.

To do a half climb into the Kluger (beast) and connect the i-pod and purr along the road home knowing there is Crownie or two in the Waeco in the shed when I get home.

Then hook up the boat on a Saturday with water levels low at the local dam(big dam). Then decide to launch on the compact mud sides and not the concrete ramps that are now high and dry, whilst achieving this with out stress.

Then drop of my teenage daughters at the local cinema on a Saturday night with their friends utilising the 3 row.

Then take the misses and I for a Sunday drive into the the mountains less than 1 hr away and having a simple BBQ with the portable Gasmate.

Beside the running stream that we just crossed. Then on the way home out of the valleys you wave to the farmers because they waved to you to. Maybe because your in a Toyota, not one of those funny badged cars that the farmers don't recognise.

This is why we decided on "AWD change" into a AWD Toyota Kluger when you live in a place like Albury/Wodonga.

Edited by fish475

We looked at the tribeca, and the cx9, we were shocked that the cx9 being so big, yet felt so small on the inside, not sure how they did that. Also the Tribeca 3rd row as so small even kids would find it uncomfortable we thought.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just decided on a Kluger, after looking at CX9, Tribecca, Pajero, Territory Ghia etc... Terri a close 2nd, but the Kluger won the day :)

We've just decided on a Kluger, after looking at CX9, Tribecca, Pajero, Territory Ghia etc... Terri a close 2nd, but the Kluger won the day :)

You will love it!

I listened to my engine today with my "doctor type" automotive stethoscope :D and its just a gem of a donk :D

You will love it!

I listened to my engine today with my "doctor type" automotive stethoscope :D and its just a gem of a donk :D

I have to admit the donk is a sheep in wolfs clothing (Very Refined down low up top its not the sound of a family suv) all it needs is a turbo to wake it some more, hey Andrew?

• 1 month later...

The only one that came close IMO was the Mazda CX9. I drove and compared them back to back one day. The Mazda CX-9 was like an Armani suit, not really comfortable but looked great and went really well, but cost a bit more to buy and to run. On the other hand, the Kluger felt like my favourite pair of jeans, comfortable, well priced and (apparently) the cheapest to run at 11 L per 100km.

The Tribeca is a bit small in the third row and pretty hefty on the price tag, but interior finish was very contemporary. The Territory was showing it's age and apparently very thirsty. The Captiva looked like good value for money, but it's a Daewoo and a bit of an unknown.

The Kluger could do with a split fold 3rd row and a smidge more space when the third row is up but as far the rest, it was the best all round package for our family.

And the drive, it is just fantastic. On the open road it is even better, the faster it goes, the better it feels.