Air Con Rattle

riftime

Hi all,

Some posts ago I mentioned that I had a Air Conditioning related rattle in the car. It was not the "leaf" like sound that many have spoken about. This was more of a metallic rattle appearing to come from deep within the driver's side dash or even engine bay.

Took the car in to Peter Davey Toyota in Werribbe (VIC). Took one of their guys for a 10 min drive to demonstrate the rattle. Wouldn't you believe it, it was raining (additional noise to filter past) and the friggin rattle did not make a show. However, I described it a fair bit. After a few hours I got my Presara back. After careful investigation, they found one of the Air Con metal pipes installed very close (hardly any clearance) to the chassis. When Air Con was working hard, the pipe would vibrate ever so slightly (normal), but due to no clearance it would rattle against the body of the car... hence the rattle.

Now its gone. I was very impressed that despite the failed attempt to demonstrate the rattle, they persisted and made an honest effort at finding it... and it worked! Glad that they didn't have to pull out the whole dash as for the other "leaf" rattle others have reported.

R.

In term of "leaf" rattle.

The service dealer said need to change the centre part and need to order the part so I need to coming back next time.

I mentioned whether or not you need to take all the dashboard and he said NO.

Is this true?

because I mentioned to him, if need to take the whole dashboard, no need to fix it because I don't want later will cause something wrong with other area and he said NO.

So, could you please let me know if the dealer fixed your leaf rattle on the centre, did they pull out the whole dashboard or just the centre part only?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Glad that they didn't have to pull out the whole dash as for the other "leaf" rattle others have reported.

Our Presara is also making a leaf rattle noise and upon further investigation i could see one of the fins in the centre dash vent rattling about when the fan speed is set to high. Will have the dealer look at it at the next service.

So, could you please let me know if the dealer fixed your leaf rattle on the centre, did they pull out the whole dashboard or just the centre part only?

I didn't have the leaf rattle, I had a different rattle. Read the other posts, other people speak about the leaf rattle. It appears that there are two problems. One is the vent fins. This is an easy fix, does not require dash removal. The other problem has something to do with the back of the dash which is a big job and requires the removal of the entire dash. Dealer will need your car for 2 days to do this. I'd be worried about having this done to my car, but others have reported good results (other than occasional collateral damage like scratched interior parts - but the dealer will fix this too, just stay on their back).

• 7 months later...

Sorry about the thread mine... just did a search and this is the closest to what I have right now. I am still intermittently coming across a rattle similar to this, but it doesn't seem to actually be as a result of the aircon (from what I can tell, as the rattle is there regardless of the aircon status).

Which aircon pipe was it? I might hunt around the engine bay in mine for a little and see what I find. Was really bad tonight and sounded like I had a bolt stuck in a cylinder =S

Sorry about the thread mine... just did a search and this is the closest to what I have right now. I am still intermittently coming across a rattle similar to this, but it doesn't seem to actually be as a result of the aircon (from what I can tell, as the rattle is there regardless of the aircon status).

Which aircon pipe was it? I might hunt around the engine bay in mine for a little and see what I find. Was really bad tonight and sounded like I had a bolt stuck in a cylinder =S

I have a rattle coming from behind the centre console. I have a post about 'Broken Intrusion Bar". Turns out that the steel bar that everythng is attched to has a defect. The sound is like a bolt bobbying around in a plastic mug. See attached PDF.

Toyota_Beam.pdf

I have a rattle coming from behind the centre console. I have a post about 'Broken Intrusion Bar". Turns out that the steel bar that everythng is attched to has a defect. The sound is like a bolt bobbying around in a plastic mug. See attached PDF.

That worries me a little... coz it is that sorta sound i think. Like a small bolt really rapidly jumping around inside a plastic mug...

Hope it's not something that serious!

Will take a look on the weekend if I have time and the weather is decent... :g:

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally found the rattle in my engine bay... and I must say it was probably the simplest, most inconspicuous and unexpected thing I would have expected.

The rattle I had, turned out to be the engine earthing wire that is on the drivers side of the engine... This was snagged under the edge of the plastic cover on the engine, and when the cover was moved made a sound similar to a rattle. I re-routed the wire away from the cover, and the sound is now gone! I would never have imagined that if it weren't for me accidentally leaning over the engine to get visibility of a couple of pipes =S

I didnt even notice my air con noise till i turned it up full bore. But when they fixed the dash squeek, they said it had no front vent clips, and it was causing a rattle. Cool now my dash and aircon, and vibration problem is fixed, the car is quiet as.

Very happy.