Project El Cheapo III.T

RME1

Hello Toyota ppls! Just introducing the new Project El Cheapo - I've had her for a while, but haven't updated here as yet.

Quick pros and cons of the Starlet.

Pro: Light (850kg's! * est) . Economical. Easy to find parts. Easy to destroy and buy another one. Engine swaps :D Easy to park. Toyota's don't die. Powerful A/C!

Cons: It's name. The stock layout. (13inch rims - floaty suspension). No map light. A/C takes away valuable power. Brakes (lack of).

EP91

Dark Blue

Engine Mods

4EFTE

Gathering of Stock Data:

R0012594.jpg

[b]DATA

Winton Times

EP91 (stock. Removed seats)2.01 (*Reference Dyno of starlet is 55kw atw)

References times

The Goose (Coilovers, CAI.) 1.58 (85kw atw)

Gamera the GC8 (stock - no weight reduction) 1.53 (133kw atw)

Edited by RME1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2926623_4_full.jpg

Obviously, the silly decals on the side had to go. I managed to get them off using a hairdryer - however the residue it left behind still stays on as of today >_<.. SO annoying. I've used turps, wd40....etc.etc. I guess the residue will fall off eventually.

Anyway, i'm in Newcastle this year, so in preparation before i left....I had a bit of free time....

DIY EG LIP (approx: $60. time: 1 hour max - 20min if your on the ball)

OMFG it was so hot yesterday! I was sweating out of all regions in my body T_T.. Crawling under the car was so not cool.

Anyway, the EG lip was not really a direct fitment, as you can tell in the photos. There is about an extra 3-4 inches of free play when unmodified. I cut the lip in half and pretty much worked it down to size :D I think it looks like the stock lips the 2004-05 Corollas got.

I ended up drilling 6 holes - 4 for screws and 2 for Zip ties :D As it is pretty much a 'two piece lip' - they require to be secured on pretty tightly. I drilled a 4.5mm hole and used a 6mm nut (they were lying around doing nothing, so i used them). THe 2 holes for the zip ties were to pretty much draw the two pieces of the lip closer together.

DIY Toyota Symbol (approx: $2 - free (depending if your just using a permanent marker) time: 10mins)

Also, I painted the Toyota symbols matt black - I've seen a few Camry Sportivo's with the black toyota logo, and i thought why can't mine have one too? Here is how i did it:

A hair dryer to loosen the glue. SPray black. Spray black again. Spray some Clear coat. All dried? Yes? Then hair dryer onto the glue to heat it up and push it back in original position.

DIY EL44 Seats (aka Toyota Paseo) (approx: $50-100 per seat. time: Variable.)

The EL44 seat install already has a write up, so i won't get into the nitty gritty.

Purchasing one on the other hand is a whole new kettle of fish. The condition of the seat is variable - age, wear and tear/stains etc.

Cleaning:

I purchased a passenger side EL44 seat the other day. It was stained...probably cause the passenger did a number 2 due to the front on accident or something or other. I used NapiSan mixed with some water, and pretty much soaked the entire seat. it seems to have done an alright job, taking out a majority of the stains (and hopefully killing those nasty bateria). I will probably go over it again in order to make sure it is 'spotless'. :D

Edited by RME1

Just a quick update from the small town of Newcastle...

Weathershield - Wreckers Spec $20

Ended up getting a driver side weathershield from the wreckers :D Only $20. It is old school though, so no slim line weather shields for me. It's geniune Toyota!

HID's China Spec $88 Delivered Ebay spec

4300k Hi/lo H4. Install was a drama. The prongs were inserted the wrong way in the plug, so it took me a while of googling and courage to play around with the configurations of the plug. I got there in the end. These were the following combinations of stupidity -

1. Can't get lo beam when switching to main beams....can get high beam

2. Can get high beam, but only when switching to Hi beams....lo beams flicker out.

3. Red prongs to the side of the plug and black prong in the center. Some flickering, then HID's die....

4. Switch red prongs either side. Relief. Finished.

>_< China spec HID's mean's extra work for "plug and play"

I was contemplating getting another set of rims actually. Mazda Eunos 30x, 4 x100 15inch rims. @ $250 they appear to be a complete bargain. New tires and everything....except i have no room what so ever :( ... and no race track to use them :( x 4....maybe later when i'm completely bored.

pictures will come soon....I have a dremmel now :D

Edited by RME1

Haha, thanks for the comments.

Akuma - It's a starlet. Car = 4.5k. Time = priceless.

Angelo - I can't wait to see your ride when she's finished. There's a race track in Perth somewhere near Balajura i think...i saw a turn off for a race track, and a go cart track. You Perth guys can use the Go Cart track to hone in on the track skills :D

M_M - I wish I had those plates LOL! Unfortunately, it was just mspaint.

DIY Green bags holder (approx $2 and 2 mins to do)

Hoochie cord wrapped around the rear seat hooks. Very convient for securing the plastic/green/shopping bags full of groceries, mods or car wash equipment.

I've been thinking about a CAI for the starlet....but I don't think it will be worth buying a branded one, as after all it is only 1.3L >_<. Instead, I drilled some holes in the air box - however i still don't think that is enough....I'm considering a trip to bunnings for some Overhead ducting :D

($26 buys about 2.5-3m of it....so for those groupies, that would equal to about 4 Corollas. i.e. Removal of trumpet and ducting straight from fog light cover to airbox = cheap 'CAI')

Next up:

- EL44 Paseo dails (There is no tacho in the starlet). Only the Group X Starlet does - so you should be able to imagine the laughter each time the Starlet hit the rev limiter on the track :D I read up on UKStarlet that you can modifiy the tacho Km's to suit.

Throw some semi's on it and watch the times tumble. Jezza323 up at QR runs his fairly stock, coilovers and semi's is about as in depth as he gets I think. Pulls similar times to me with the Zero 2's.

No way! Jezza 323's ride is an awesome example of modding a little EP91. I think he has changed a few bits and pieces internally - I think he is playing with a CBR quad throttle body as well :ph34r: .

Next time i go to winton, a set of coilovers would be nice....after that we might start considering crazy things such as DIY engine swaps. IT's already been done with a 20V, but a more recent addition such as a 1.8 from a 1zzfe would be nice :D

Haha, thanks Seano. Starlet's are a pretty tough car. They are pretty cheap as well, depending on KM's and service state. I picked mine up for $4.5 @ 140,000km with full service books. Although you can get them for as cheap as $3000.

I've been doing a bit of research about engine transplants etc, and the popular ones are the following:

4efte - Starlet GT EP82/Glanza EP91

5efe/efhe - Paseo

The end state of this car will be a Daily Driver/Track car. It can be done - I'm not really a fan of the 'I'll tow my race car to the race track' thing. I have great respect for those that have the ability to drive to the track and then drive back home - an easy day at the track :D

I'm really keen on getting a 1.8 1zzfe into The Box, but I doubt my technical skills are up to scratch. To be honest, I don't want to spend any money on the current engine (e.g. a full exhaust and headers), although with those modifications, it 'may' come "close" to the power of a 1zzfe* (*no information to back that statement up what so ever).

Mod comparison:

Stock: 43kw atw

Modded: 66HP atw - Full catback + KN panel filter: 49kw atw.

I'd go the 2ggze but the research with regards to the ECU, angle of setup etc.etc. has put me off :( Sorry TOCA

Other plans:

If i have time I want to try to DIY roof paint. I like the white on dark blue on black rims combination :D (Mini Cooper EVL Spec) At the end of the day, the completed project will get a professional respray - so i don't see why i can't practise :P

Edited by RME1

nice ride! I was tempted to buying a starlet (8 months ago), had a looked around the net & paper. found several but they were still above $5k. I would get it if it has power steering :D

Power steering is for noobs :P - it was a bit too light for me. She weighs less than a ton, so it's really no problem. U turning is a breeze :yahoo:

The Joys of Rustoluem

I have found this link and I'm hitting the hardware store tonight!

Apparently, this paint is easy to apply and does a pretty good job with regards to DIY painting :D Roof painting FTW!

Paint your car for $50

-brief rundown....this dude painted his car with a roller in his driveway! WTF?! :toast:

*Update: Bunnings $28.00 (Need mineral turps)

- White knight Rust Guard (gloss white) 250ml

- Paint tray + brushes.

- 2 x 1200 wet dry

- 2 x 600 wet dry

Minilites

Always wanted to get the little EP into EVL miniSpec and I think I can do it! :yahoo:

Also, I have spied some Minilite imitations (mx5 wheels) 4 x 100 on ebay. Might give it a crap....these could be my track rims!

(Blackspec DIY of course! )

AE111 Corolla Inlet Manifold

**GAME OVER FOR THESE**

*sorry for big picture

there were pacemaker headers on ebay for the Starlet....but i felt that i could distribute the 350 odd dollars in to smaller, more DIY projects. :D

Edited by RME1

Well done bro!!!Project number 3 already!hahaa..neat little car..can i tempt u with a set of smoked indicators?hehee they look like they'll fit and look mighty sweeeet :spiteful:

Haha, thanks mate - i'll have to track you down later....maybe you can entice my cousin - Dayvid from WA ?

Tried to get home to sand and prep the car for the '$50 buc paint job'. .. alas the weather is far from perfect.

However... I found a set of EL54 paseo dails :D

Julezy...U never cease to amaze me... :ninja:

Should author ur own book mate..."RME1's own Project El-Cheapo: Dummy's Guide" :clap:

Should be back here down town dude...the boyz, we needing da wing man back!!

Well done bro!!!Project number 3 already!hahaa..neat little car..can i tempt u with a set of smoked indicators?hehee they look like they'll fit and look mighty sweeeet :spiteful:

Haha, thanks mate - i'll have to track you down later....maybe you can entice my cousin - Dayvid from WA ?

Tried to get home to sand and prep the car for the '$50 buc paint job'. .. alas the weather is far from perfect.

However... I found a set of EL54 paseo dails :D

haha jules, trying to bribe me i see!

need to save money as i told ya i got a lot of plans ahead :D

bush mechanic ftw!!!!

ay jules,

i read a very similar article on HOTROD do-it-yourself series PAINT AND BODY magazine... they called it the $98 paintjob :P same paint and all that.

hotrod.jpg

hot rod magazine $98 paint job

its gonna take heaps of time and a lot of layers of paint dude and you gotta use this car as your daily driver! how are you going to work around that?

Edited by JJCRU23R

'twas considering that thought - ...but the original guy that did that ( in post about the Rustoluem) merely painted his car in the drive way. He did two coats per day - Morning and late afternoon.

I suspect that these coats were fairly thick as opposed to the later modifications to the 'receipe' which allows them to finish a coat in less than 1.5 hours.

PLAN A

I'm going to Melbourne next week, so if everything is timed right, I could skip the priming stage and just apply a thick 'milky' coat of the RustStop stuff so by the time i come back it would of 'cured' and i'll be able to sand and apply the thinner layers later....

or

PLAN B

If the car is actually primed (i.e. maybe DIY spray can job) then i can still be able to drive around in it - assuming that it is all dried etc. Then after work, I could sand and apply one coat leaving it over night to dry. Then work and after work go home and apply another coat again.

here is the concept....sorry about the noobie skills - learnt it last night LOL

2926623_6_full.jpg

*notes:

- that lip is heaps more aggressive than my bush mechanic styles eg lip

- the rims are actually mine

- the roof colour is going to be 'gloss white'....i was considering 'flat white'...but i want a bit of a shine to the car.

Edited by RME1

• 3 weeks later...

How to Paint your roof:

2926623_8_full.jpg

The tools required: 600 Grit Wet Dry (x 2), Pink sponge (eveyrone needs one), Gloves (cause i'm girly) and obviously a Nivea for men SKin cream box stuffed with copious amounts of paper if you don't have a sanding block :D

2926623_7_full.jpg

This is the Starlet roof after I gave her a little bit of a sand. I didn't really try too hard, because my car factor isn't too high at this point. Racing the sun once again - but if you want to be thorough, then you should probably use some detergent to give the area in question a quick clean. Also use a chamy to get it very dry before sanding.

Paint. or Spray. * in Hindsight, i should of chose the painter version instead of the rattle can. - you loose too much due to 30% waste with spray.

2926623_9_full.jpg

2926623_10_full.jpg

2926623_11_full.jpg

This is only the primer layer. I have taken off the rubber weather strips - I didn't make too much of an effort to clean the roof too much. My thoughts were that the wet dry sanding will take off the clear coat and most of the crap anyway :D .

Tomorrow I'll use up the rest of the Primer can and then go for the first coat - I cbf doing many small coats, so I might go for three big layers. It is bright and sunny tomorrow, so i'll just park her out in the sun. We'll see how it goes :D

Good luck Jules!

Keep in mind all the extra work put into doing the small layers should pay off though if you chose to go that route.

But, yea, hope it turns out exactly the way you need it to.

THe Painting

2926623_12_full.jpg

- Diluting the paint to a 'milky' texture was a bit more challenging than expected. First there was too much spirits, then too little because i added too much paint...I got there eventually...

2926623_13_full.jpg

- Because I did it in the drive way - Murphy's Law intervened - anything that can happen, does happen.... Frikkin' just two seconds after I made the 1st coat (me looking all proud about myself with the evenness of it all)...a frikkin' insect lands on the roof and promptly decides to die there T_T

- Warning! *Using Mineral Turps and Paint = to ur roller being eaten and whilst ur in the middle of ur 2nd coat, the roller will most likely fall apart... HAHAHA GOod times

2926623_14_full.jpg

- The Box drying in the Sun. Maybe the white mirrors would look cool after all....or just black rims :P

Ep91. ELCheapo FTW!