Engine oil consumption in Sportivos

Hi all

I have a Corolla 1.8TS, equivalent of Sportivos.

I have noticed a regular engine oil consumption since the early days of the car. The oil level would move from the maximum to the minimum mark after 10.000km. If this corresponds to 1.5L, then the consumption is about 150ml / 1000km.

I have used Toyota oils 5w40 and 10w40. The car is mostly driven at 3.000-5.000 rpm.

It will be very helpfull to know your experience, since my car is still under guarantee for its mechanical parts.

My zze123 does that as well...kinda. I reach about half the dip stick in about 5000k, but then i change my oil so i dno if it will go lower. It seems that it reaches half and doesnt pass that.

My zze123 does that as well...kinda. I reach about half the dip stick in about 5000k, but then i change my oil so i dno if it will go lower. It seems that it reaches half and doesnt pass that.

same here but yeh i change the oil every 5000 and while the oil level drops slightly between services its not to a detrimental level plus youll probably have a low oil warning lamp triggered by a switch in the sump if it gets too low youll know before its too late

have you compared oil consumption in comparison to oil grade? i use royal purple 5w30 i tried getting 10w30 but the store didnt have it

i use royal purple 5w30 i tried getting 10w30 but the store didnt have it

According to Corolla's manual, 5w30 is excluded for the 1.8TS. The lowest allowed grade is 10w30.

In Greece, Toyota stations supply fully-synthetic 5w30 and 5w40 or semi-synthetic 10w40. I prefered to use 5w40.

I try to change the oil in my sportivo every 5000kms but last time i left it to about 7000 and it has ever burnt a drop of oil!!! I thrash it often too. not even when i hurled it down the great ocean road with the new suspension did it burn any oil!!. Now my old mr-s was a different story. it burnt oil like some of you are talking about... the engine had to be rebuilt and the oil light never came on when it ran out! Toyota also said the engine air/fuel mix was odd... Dam engine fairies!

As far as i know 5-30 is the recommended oil for the 2zz-ge as far as the celica and corolla manuals i have. Im using redline 5-30 and i tried 10-30 and it still burnt the same oil. I actually felt a performance loss switching to 10-30...but that could be in my head thow :)

Heavier oil will make a difference to performance. as far as your oil burning goes if your car is under warranty then take it back to your dealer. They will then monitor it and if they deem it as unacceptable then you could end up with a new engine.

But your oil changes should be every 5000 km. It is a high revving N/A engine and if constantly driven hard will use a small amount of oil.

Honda S2000's have a service interval of about 2000km. But they run a lot higher RPM than the sportivo and will use oil caused by high RPM which you will get a bit of blow by the oil rings. A mate of mine who works for a Honda dealer had a S2000 come in on a tilt tray with seized engine. when they asked the owner what happened he said he started it then it just stopped and wouldn't start. they then asked him when was the last service(their warranty states you must have the services done at the recommened intervals) he said a while ago. They then checked it and hadn't had a service for 21 000km!!! Engine had run out of oil almost and the oil warning light had triggered and won't let the car start. No warranty for him and costly engine rebuild.

so keep your services up to scratch guys or else it could get ugly.....

According to Corolla's manual, 5w30 is excluded for the 1.8TS. The lowest allowed grade is 10w30.

I should correct this: For 5w30, the manual gives a maximum ambient temperature of 10 degrees Celsius for the 2zz-ge engine, while it can be used above ~40C with the other engines.

In fact, I did not understand why the 5w30 and 10w30 have different maximum ambient temperatures for the 2zz-ge engine, since normally the 30-index should be important at high T.

I could only think of a possible difference when you start a cold engine at high ambient T, related to the capability to preserve a sufficently thick oil layer adsorbed on the metals when the engine is cold. Perhaps the low viscosity oil (index-5) at high ambient T drains all the oil from the metallic surfaces when we switch off the engine.

Edited by CTS03

I should correct this: For 5w30, the manual gives a maximum ambient temperature of 10 degrees Celsius for the 2zz-ge engine, while it can be used above ~40C with the other engines.

In fact, I did not understand why the 5w30 and 10w30 have different maximum ambient temperatures for the 2zz-ge engine, since normally the 30-index should be important at high T.

I could only think of a possible difference when you start a cold engine at high ambient T, related to the capability to preserve a sufficently thick oil layer adsorbed on the metals when the engine is cold. Perhaps the low viscosity oil (index-5) at high ambient T drains all the oil from the metallic surfaces when we switch off the engine.

Cool, but i have the celica gts toyota manual and it says 5-30 recommended for the 2zzge for the best fuel economy and cold starts from temps -25ºC to 38ºC. I think we should ask toyota about this so we can be super sure. :)

Edited by runxz