Voice Dial

Cookie

Took delivery of my new toy (AWD Grande) last week and busy playing with all the buttons but having trouble getting the voice dial to work.

I have set up the voice tags but can't get it to work, what am i doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks

Edited by Cookie

So how far did you get when you say "I didn't work"...mine works fine and the setup wasn't that hard at all. The hardest part was finding where to record to voice tags since the voice tag option isn't on the first page of the Edit Contact screen.

It works surprising well for me so far as far as recognizing what I said - but I guess I don't have that many phonebook entries at the moment.

I just don't like the number of clicks I have to do via the steering wheel just to get the call going.

Could you please explain the procedure to make a call using voice dial after the tags have been set up?

Thanks

1. Have the phone paired to the handsfree

2. Click the phone "off-hook" button to get into the phone screen.

3. Press the voice dial button on the steering wheel.

4. It will say "please say the name of the person you wish to call now....BEEP"

5. Say the name. If it recognises the name it will bring it up on the screen. So far it has recogised every attempt I've made (around 10 times, both stationary and driving on a noisy road)

6. Once I've confirmed its the right entry, I press the pick up phone button on the wheel. I think I need to press it at least twice before it starts dialling.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Edited by rzkman

Could you please explain the procedure to make a call using voice dial after the tags have been set up?

Thanks

2. Press the voice dial button on the steering wheel.

3. It will say "please say the name of the person you wish to call now....BEEP"

4. Say the name. If it recognises the name it will bring it up on the screen. So far it has recogised every attempt I've made (around 10 times, both stationary and driving on a noisy road)

5. Once I've confirmed its the right entry, I press the pick up phone button on the wheel. I think I need to press it at least twice before it starts dialling.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Ray, do you have to set up the voice tag to the person first.

Or it is like my Nokia N95 that it can recognise the people's english name without preset its voice tag (btw I think N95 is very smart that way).

Also I found the voice tag (that is how I use it atm) does not speak Cantonese! I use Cantonese tag and it is not working, but when I use English, it is fine.

What I have noticed is - if I press the voice dial button on the steering wheel when GPS screen is on (and its on all the time ) - I get "Voice control is not avaliable on this screen" message (or similar). If I press the "handset up" button, or bring the phone screen forward by any other way, and then press voice dial, everything works fine. Is that normal?

Good point, I realised this as I was playing with the dialling this morning. You have to be in the phone screen to activate the voice dial. Once more button to push!

What I have noticed is - if I press the voice dial button on the steering wheel when GPS screen is on (and its on all the time ) - I get "Voice control is not avaliable on this screen" message (or similar). If I press the "handset up" button, or bring the phone screen forward by any other way, and then press voice dial, everything works fine. Is that normal?

My 1st thought on it was "why the hell didn't they allow the voice dial button to activate the phone screen instantly?". After all this is the only thing (e.g. phone) yoiu can controll with voice. Then I realised, perhaps in US models you can control more than a phone with the voice; in that case 2 buttons might make sense...

Ray, do you have to set up the voice tag to the person first.

Or it is like my Nokia N95 that it can recognise the people's english name without preset its voice tag (btw I think N95 is very smart that way).

Also I found the voice tag (that is how I use it atm) does not speak Cantonese! I use Cantonese tag and it is not working, but when I use English, it is fine.

Taka, you have to set up the person as a contact in the car-phonebook first. Then you record a voice tag against the phone book entry.

Unless the voice recognition is extremely well evolved in the N95, I can see such implementations having problems recognising accents and as you noted different languages. There are just too many variations and gap for inaccuracies open up. I guess there are pros and cons with "hard" recording a tag. The pros being that it can be any accent/language etc...it will just try to match the voice signal to the one it has recorded. The cons being, that I don't think the voice tags I have set up will work with other people (eg my wife).

Edited by rzkman

Voice tags do not transfer from phone to AVN (headunit), doesn't matter what model phone you have. After transferring your contacts, you then need to record voice tags in the AVN.

Thanks

2. Click the phone "off-hook" button to get into the phone screen.

3. Press the voice dial button on the steering wheel.

4. It will say "please say the name of the person you wish to call now....BEEP"

5. Say the name. If it recognises the name it will bring it up on the screen. So far it has recogised every attempt I've made (around 10 times, both stationary and driving on a noisy road)

6. Once I've confirmed its the right entry, I press the pick up phone button on the wheel. I think I need to press it at least twice before it starts dialling.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Thanks Ray, works fine now :)

Scott, I'll post up some pics over the w/end.

Edited by Cookie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry guys, this might sound silly but...

I've been playing with the phonebook all night. I can't work out where to record the voice tags!

I go to the edit screen, but there's no option to record a voice tag, like the picture in the manual.

Is there a second edit screen hidden away somewhere?

Thanks

Adrian

Took delivery of my new toy (AWD Grande) last week and busy playing with all the buttons but having trouble getting the voice dial to work.

I have set up the voice tags but can't get it to work, what am i doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks

In order for voice dial you have to press the telephone send button on the screen, then press the voice dial and say the name, the stored name is repeated and then you either touch the call button on the display or the call button on the steering wheel.

If you are already doing this make sure that you wait for the beep sound before you speak the name.

I have found that voice recognition is quite good.

Cookie,

That's interesting, both Taka and yourself have black rear 'bumper' around towbar. But mine is body colour - Crystal Pearl. Is this a subtle difference between AWD and FWD versions I wonder. Anyone else notice this?

Cookie,

That's interesting, both Taka and yourself have black rear 'bumper' around towbar. But mine is body colour - Crystal Pearl. Is this a subtle difference between AWD and FWD versions I wonder. Anyone else notice this?

As far as I know, all KX-S and Grande come with body colour panel at delivery, but the panel with the tow bar cut-outs is black. Maybe yours was painted by whoever did the installation as yours doesn't look like the original panel modified.

The KX-R comes with a black panel at delivery; if anyone is fitting a towbar to a silver pearl could offer me their silver panel.