Powder coating my stockies... good idea?

Hey guys,

I cant decide whether to spray powder coat my stockies in black or white... or if I should just get a whole new set of 18's :unsure: . If anyone has done it before it would be a great help if you could post some pictures (to give me an indication of what they will look like). Also, is it difficult to do?

If I do go ahead with the spraying do you think i should do them black or white? my car is black and I have red calipers...

Thanks!

Hey MAte,

It all depends i guess, quite a few people have powder coated their rims and it roughly cost's about $200-250. Some members have also sprayed their stockies but have had mixed results. They have suggested going for a neutral colour (i.e. black or white).

Im planning on spraying mine a gunmetal grey. I'll see how it turns out and if i fk it up i'll just get them powder coated.

If your planning on getting 18's be prepared for the regular scrubbing of the front guards. most people here just stick to 17's for more of a comfy ride.

Cheers

Mark

Hey MAte,

It all depends i guess, quite a few people have powder coated their rims and it roughly cost's about $200-250. Some members have also sprayed their stockies but have had mixed results. They have suggested going for a neutral colour (i.e. black or white).

Im planning on spraying mine a gunmetal grey. I'll see how it turns out and if i fk it up i'll just get them powder coated.

If your planning on getting 18's be prepared for the regular scrubbing of the front guards. most people here just stick to 17's for more of a comfy ride.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for that!

hmmm gunmetal grey... should be interesting! Make sure to post some pics up.

So will the scrubbing still happen often even if the cars on 'lows' not 'super lows?' mmmm maybe 17's might be better...

Hey MAte,

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for that!

hmmm gunmetal grey... should be interesting! Make sure to post some pics up.

So will the scrubbing still happen often even if the cars on 'lows' not 'super lows?' mmmm maybe 17's might be better...

oops... didnt realise my cousin was logged in on my computer... :whistling:

i've sprayed the stivo rims with black but to be honest if you wanna do ur own spraying and stuff do spend a lot of time on it and get the right stuff to do it or else u will have poor results :P like mine.. its not disasterous but i wont say its the best.

getting it powdercoated is a good way to go but the amount u pay for it i recon its not worth it. so go for a set of new rims that prob justifies ur money better that way

just my 2 cents..

J E R E M Y sprayed his graphite.. it looks awesome too :D up to you really

hey there.. ive done both

ive done a diy on the stockies and they were ok for bout a year or so then started to fade more and more each day untill i just decided to get them powder coated because i got new tyres and my *** they turned out 10x better then what i done lol my diy was a good job but this was a BETTER job well i havent really took much pictures but heres one of the rear

*note it stays really glossy and richer colour i guess forever if u powder coat them, i found that when i diy them that after awhile they just arent glossy any more.

in the end its up to you anyway but yerh i think its like an extra $150 ontop of diy

diy $100

powdercoat/sandblasting $230

well hope that helps

Steve,

Edited by KaZe-StiVo

hey there.. ive done both

ive done a diy on the stockies and they were ok for bout a year or so then started to fade more and more each day untill i just decided to get them powder coated because i got new tyres and my *** they turned out 10x better then what i done lol my diy was a good job but this was a BETTER job well i havent really took much pictures but heres one of the rear

*note it stays really glossy and richer colour i guess forever if u powder coat them, i found that when i diy them that after awhile they just arent glossy any more.

in the end its up to you anyway but yerh i think its like an extra $150 ontop of diy

diy $100

powdercoat/sandblasting $230

well hope that helps

Steve,

18012008547.jpg

That looks hot!!! I think i'll go ahead with it.... do you reckon any panel beater do the job for me? I might start going around and getting quotes...

mmmmm red calipers..... anyone willing to help me also on how to paint it Red?

Hey mate...

I did myne about 1 week after getting my car... depending on if you want to do all 4 or just the front 2... its going to take u a solid 40mins+ per a wheel... thats giving it around 4-5 coats...

I've heard some people remove the caliper and paint it, but I just tried covering all areas surrounding it... I'm sure you would get a perfect job by removing the calipers! But to be honest I think my ones came out just as well... currently at uni... will post some pics for you when i get home!

Also, if you havent already had a go... remember to cover the body of your car!

If you search BIGBUM, or maybe give him a friendly PM, I"m sure he'll give you some hints and pointers.

If you want your wheels to last a while, then just get them powder coated. If you know that you'll probably invest in another set of rims, then just spray them.

2 cans of paint - $20

2 cans clear coat - $20

all up $40. If your creative, you might not even need to take off your rims. i.e. Vvyets Celica.

If you search BIGBUM, or maybe give him a friendly PM, I"m sure he'll give you some hints and pointers.

If you want your wheels to last a while, then just get them powder coated. If you know that you'll probably invest in another set of rims, then just spray them.

2 cans of paint - $20

2 cans clear coat - $20

all up $40. If your creative, you might not even need to take off your rims. i.e. Vvyets Celica.

thats some cheap paint man lol mine where like $15 each VHT heat resistance ones make sure there heat resistant or they might bubble up also u need primer and vyets car we took off the rims =D~ lol

btw where are u from melb or what?? if melb then go to a place called mr.powdercoat in williamstown does a mad job well on mine anyway..

Steve,

2 cans of paint - $20

2 cans clear coat - $20

thats some cheap paint man lol mine where like $15 each VHT heat resistance ones make sure there heat resistant or they might bubble up also u need primer and vyets car we took off the rims =D~ lol

btw where are u from melb or what?? if melb then go to a place called mr.powdercoat in williamstown does a mad job well on mine anyway..

Steve,

how much was mr.powdercoat???

2 cans of paint - $20

2 cans clear coat - $20

Steve,

how much was mr.powdercoat???

it was $30 a rim but i went down the road (a few stores) to get them sand blasted first whick where $20 a rim

so all up $200 taking off tyres at bridgestone was like $40 taking tyres on and off

PS. found a better picture for u guys

18012008541.jpg

Edited by KaZe-StiVo