Center console sqeak, rattle and noise.

emalio

Whilst driving the centre console sqeaks and rattles slightly. Most of the noise seems to be coming from the plastic underneath the gear lever. It appears to have two layers of plastic and the slight rub of my leg on the console makes noises. Some little bumps also cause it to make noise. Anyone else experience this. It is very annoying. My 1994 supra doesnt even do this. The center console seems very cheaply made, scratches easily too.

I was thinking of pulling it apart and using grease. Any suggestions, does the new car warranty cover these things. We bought the car second hand from a Toyota Dealer with 20k kms.

Whilst driving the centre console sqeaks and rattles slightly. Most of the noise seems to be coming from the plastic underneath the gear lever. It appears to have two layers of plastic and the slight rub of my leg on the console makes noises. Some little bumps also cause it to make noise. Anyone else experience this. It is very annoying. My 1994 supra doesnt even do this. The center console seems very cheaply made, scratches easily too.

I was thinking of pulling it apart and using grease. Any suggestions, does the new car warranty cover these things. We bought the car second hand from a Toyota Dealer with 20k kms.

Mine does it too. See my sig.

check ur tyer persure, u be be suprised lol

fixed my problem, see if it fix urs too

bad luck mate, live with it :spiteful:

i sent back like more than 3 times, there are not doing shxt..

1st reason given: I changed the HU, which is considered MOD, so i should look back to my installer.

2nd : It is demo car, they are not sure what happen to it before.

3rd : They already tighten all the screws

4th : Dont put too much CD in the centre handrest, which they think are making the

sound, AND the 2 screw broke, which they DID not want to replace, for what

reason i am not sure too..

SO~~ it is total bullshxt, no more farking australian made/designed car!

Might as well give u a solution, 1st priority is still sending it back to your dealer and hope they fix under WARRANTY!!

If they cant, this is what i did. I have 1 very nice audio frien and Fibreglassing/mod friend/boss, they helped me to open everything up, find out what will make those noises, put cushion or deadening a little, a lot of job, but i think it worth with how much i spent. Spent a LOT of time on this...

Good luck~

Edited by dannywss

Mine does it too. See my sig.

ur sigs not nice =( i make the camrys and aurions at work... but i dont do the center consoles i do the engines, ecu, driveshafts, commpressor and so on hows the engine btw??

Easy to fix might was the same a squeak noise while the vehicle moving, and coming for the gear lever.

Remove centre console and add 2 washers under the screw on each side(between the bracket and plastic side wall of the console,) what happening is the console have been pulled down to far, and once the selector is installed (it rubs plastic surfaces together) which make the squeak noise.

If you are a little lost, I can take some photos.

check ur tyer persure, u be be suprised lol

fixed my problem, see if it fix urs too

Out of curiosity, what tyre pressure are you running?

well my camry is older than urs and i also got diffrent wheels and tyers, not the ones came from factory. im pretty sure if u open ur drivers door

there should be a plate or stiker have all the tyer persures on it. but most 16"s or 17" are about 36psi

Edited by X-Power

The car has 245/35 19's and the tyre pressue is about 36. I dont think its the tyre pressure. It makes squeeks from a rub of the leg or arm also.

Anyways, I might try what you suggested Aurion zr6, I guess the best thing is to pull it apart, and put rubber or whatever into the joints. Washers like you suggested also.

It is a manufacturing fault, or the bracket on the floor it too low, which is bending down the centre console onto this bracket, then when you fit the centre console component into place, the tolarance between the surround and console are touching each other, which start the squeaking noise, as they are touching each other.

I though the console was moving when you apply you left leg against the console, but what it was, you where distorting the console more by increasing the pressure of your leg against the console which increased the noise from the 2 plastic surface rubbing each other, in which you think to tighten the screw more, in if fact you are making in worse, and bending the console more.

Taken me while to sort this out, but found what was causing the noise.

Once you place the washers under the bracket to raise the console, (eg: 2-4mm) so you are straighting out the bend in it, (cause by the screw that are holding it down the console beside the gear selection).

Once do, the centre console component is pressed into place without the 2 plastic surface rubbing each other around under the gear selection section.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem and the dealer prof's told me it is unfixible..but the noise was coming from the area between the center console and gear selection...oh well they put something under the plastic or maybe inbetween the plastic sheets in an attempt to stop it from tuching each other and making the noise..it slighly reduced the noise but didnt fix it %100...in winter it stopped making noise so i think it got something to do with tempretur...

exactly how do you take a part the center console ?

i need to get my lighter out somehow someway it managed to get inside :blink: ...when i open the center console door it opens %90 and the lighter stops it there.

pictures are most wellcome lol.

Thanks

TMCA has issued a tech newsflash on this problem, plus a product improvement that was implemented into production earlier this year. Ask your dealers - if they keep their paperwork up to date, then they'll know about the fix.

• 1 month later...
TMCA has issued a tech newsflash on this problem, plus a product improvement that was implemented into production earlier this year. Ask your dealers - if they keep their paperwork up to date, then they'll know about the fix.

Hi

I'm taking my Sportivo back to Toyota dealer tomorrow for the same problem. (It was there before they replace bottom part of console as part of a Toyota recall)

Have you seen the tech newsflash? Is ther a reference I can quote to service department? or better still do you have a copy you can put on line?

Thanks

Mark