81 hilux + 1JZ-GE

andrewzuku

I've got a 2-wheel drive 81 Hilux (RN40)

Photo in Gallery here

At the moment it has the 12R engine (1600cc) and 4-speed column shift which is very sluggish. I've been saving my pennies and am nearly ready to start looking for new engines + gearboxes.

A mate of mine is looking into getting me an RB20DET and Gearbox out of an R32 GTS4 Skyline very cheap, but if that doesn't go through I'd rather stick to a Toyota engine and not have a mongrel.

My question is: Does anyone know if a 1JZ-GE will fit without modifying the firewall? Has this been done before?

From the firewall to the front of my radiator is about 780mm.

I've seen it done with the 1JZ-GTE in a newer hilux, but I'm not sure if the engine bays would be the same length.

I've got a 2-wheel drive 81 Hilux (RN40)

Photo in Gallery here

At the moment it has the 12R engine (1600cc) and 4-speed column shift which is very sluggish. I've been saving my pennies and am nearly ready to start looking for new engines + gearboxes.

A mate of mine is looking into getting me an RB20DET and Gearbox out of an R32 GTS4 Skyline very cheap, but if that doesn't go through I'd rather stick to a Toyota engine and not have a mongrel.

My question is: Does anyone know if a 1JZ-GE will fit without modifying the firewall? Has this been done before?

From the firewall to the front of my radiator is about 780mm.

I've seen it done with the 1JZ-GTE in a newer hilux, but I'm not sure if the engine bays would be the same length.

ive seen a 1jz in a 92 model.. man that thing moved, when it got traction :blink:

but yeh give it a shot!

the best bet would be go and measure a 92 model like what angelo has seen and then measure yours and see where u r at i think the older luxs were a little to small for an easy swap like that unless it a 4-runner. I got a 93 dualcab 4x4 that i squeezed a 1uz-fe into without firewall mods but its tight for sure but works i also done a vn v6 in a 91 singlecab 4x4 and theres heaps of room in there but they are crap engines never would do it again

Yeah, after a fair bit of reading, I think I'd be better off going with a 1G-GTE since they're physically smaller. Still puts out good power for what I want to use the ute for. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if i can go measure a newer hilux than mine too.

My mate had one, he recently sold it for $2k and the engine was in perfect condition :blink:

There is a bloke in Canberra that does these

EDIT: it wasnt one of them models tho, and it was 1JZ-GTE :P

Edited by Simo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, so it's been quite a while since I posted on here. I stumbled across this post again when I was searching for RN40 in google and thought I'd better update things since a lot has happened ;)

I finally decided on an engine and it's now running. There's a 1UZ in there now (from a 1991 V8 Soarer).

Visit http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11178 for the full build with lots of photos.

2009-07-19-01.jpg

2009-03-28-01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There actually was a guy here in Grafton that had squeezed a 2JZ twin turbo supra engine into one...i couldnt beleive it. I had pictures and if i can track it down ill post them up, but yeah...its amazing what will fit if you have the skills and/or money.

Well done. Wouldnt be easy to drive in the rain tho...lol.

• 2 years later...

great job mate, I have the exact same hilux (in alot worse nick) thinking of doing similar to mine, not sure if i wanna go tub or tray tho

Edited by anjealis