The worst service experience ever

rzkman

Hi all,

**RANT WARNING**

When I picked up my Kluger they didn't have any side steps or floor mats in stock, so they said it will have to be installed during my 1000km inspection. Here is what happened

- Arrived at 7:45am to see a queue of cars in the driveway to the service centre

- Waited more than 20 mins to arrive at the head of the queue and for someone to attend to me.

- Was told that it would take 3 hours to do the side step installation and 1000km inspection. I also asked them to make my auto headlights more sensitive.

- Waited till 11am and went to the reception to ask how the works was progressing. Was informed by the receptionist that the works was done and it would be ready soon.

- At 11:10 I noticed that my car was already in the parking lot all along

- A further 5 mins and I politely informed the receptionist that my car looks to be ready and I just need the keys back. She said my name was already on their list and I was waiting on a service agent to 'assist me'.

- 11:30, still no action and for a normally patient person, I was starting to get pi**ed that I had been made to wait so long just to get my keys back. I was debating whether to ask for the service manager or not, but decided to give the receptionist one more try. She said someone was looking into my paperwork and I should wait for them.

- I went to the guys desk and waited for him to get off the phone and he explained that he needed to clear up some paperwork before I could go.

- It was then apparent that he was trying to see how he would process the charge for the installation back to the dealer. I told him I don't care, as long as I don't have to pay anything.

- It was only at 11:45 that I was given my keys and I was on my way...

Now I must say, in all my driving years, I have never experience such inefficient service. I've been to Honda, BMW and Nissan service centres and the longest I have had to wait was 10-15mins for my car to be retrieved.

You think they could have sorted out the paperwork during the 3 hours I was waiting, or even after I had left. It was obvious they had no regard for the customer's time.

From the reception centre I could see that their operation was large and they would go through many more cars than the other places I have mentioned above. But surely they can improve the system so that customers don't have to sit around 45 mins just to get their keys back.

Its crazy to think I drove 45 mins to go to this service centre, when I could have gone to a comparable one 5 mins from my house. I didn't have any choice this time because they owed me the side steps and mat which should have been provided during delivery. But for subsequent servicing, I was actually thinking of being the loyal customer and going back to the original dealer.

After today's experience, I think there will be little chance of me going back there. Even if the other service centre near my place turns out to be equally bad, at least I've saved on the driving time.

Here ends the ranting..

Ray.

Ray

This is not good enough. It is time to name and shame if I were you.

Cannon Toyota in Heidelberg was good. I forgot to ask them about the headlight... (in fact I thought they were a bit too soon to come on since I get it on driving under a bridge at highway speed). I have to wait for 20K now :(

Hi Taka,

As much as I would like to name and shame, I am a bit hesitant. Posts have magically disappeared due to legal threats for public defamation. If ppl want to know, just PM me.

BTW they have a wiper replacement special for something like $39...wonder if that is with all models...cheaper than the $55 you paid.

Ray.

So the actual delay (over the announced waiting time) was 45 minutes? I think, it is not good enough... but I'd hate to say but still OK comparing to an average service around. E.g. had cases of a longer delay with some elemnts of the service (and I'm not talking about car service only) not done at all or done improperly.

So what I mean is I'd be happy it what you describe would be the worst case. Again, agree it is not good enough.

So the actual delay (over the announced waiting time) was 45 minutes?

If the delay was caused because they couldn't complete the works on time, then I don't think I would minded.

Its the fact that my car was ready and waiting in the parking lot and all I needed was my keys back.

*** knows how long it was sitting in the lot..it was only until I went outside to look for it that I saw it parked in the middle of two cars!!

Wouldn't you be pi**ed if you had to wait 45 mins just to be handed back your keys? The idiot didn't even confirm what was done. I had to ask him if the headlights sensitivity had been adjusted....

I would be. I'm just saying could be worse...

If the delay was caused because they couldn't complete the works on time, then I don't think I would minded.

Its the fact that my car was ready and waiting in the parking lot and all I needed was my keys back.

*** knows how long it was sitting in the lot..it was only until I went outside to look for it that I saw it parked in the middle of two cars!!

Wouldn't you be pi**ed if you had to wait 45 mins just to be handed back your keys? The idiot didn't even confirm what was done. I had to ask him if the headlights sensitivity had been adjusted....

The thing that shocks me at Toyota dealers is having to wait for someone to get off the phone, time after time it happens. I've worked in customer service and I've studied marketing and I always think if I ever did that to a customer they would tear my freaking head off, but I am too polite to do it to somebody twice/three/ times my age in a service office...

Best thing about the Kluger is it won't be first on the apprentice's list for a thrash around the block during lunch hour... :spiteful:

BTW they have a wiper replacement special for something like $39...wonder if that is with all models...cheaper than the $55 you paid.

I have not paid for it yet because the part was not AVAILABLE! <_< So much for Toyota when a simple rubber is not there on their shelf

- Arrived at 7:45am to see a queue of cars in the driveway to the service centre

- Waited more than 20 mins to arrive at the head of the queue and for someone to attend to me.

In this day and age, this is completely unacceptable - the dealer does not have a structured booking system in place. And the braindead receptionist that served you would no doubt be responsible for booking everything in at 8am. Go elsewhere.

I think everyone just wants to drop their car off before they went to work which explains the long queue in the driveway.

There was a guy with a Camry at the head of the queue which they spent more than 10 mins looking under the bonnet.

If the average checking time was under 5 mins for each car, then it wouldn't have taken as long.

hahaha you think that's bad service.. Try your local Holden dealer. 25mins of asking people to help me and they all said they'd get someone.

My toyota dealer served me instantly, gave me coffee, offered to drive me home or give me a power point to use my laptop. That's the kind of service you expect when paying tens of thousands of dollars for something :)

Hmm.. rzkman's service sounds like a nightmare. I think you had every right to get a little bit angry, considering that you drove the extra 40 odd mins to another dealership and your car was sitting idle for so long. I had the very same experience with my Corolla. They didn't even know where it was - an express service took 3 hours....that was just for an oil and sparkplug change.

But then with AdamN's example, I guess it really depends who the "front of house" people are and whether or not they can "sense" your elevated annoyance?

The sad part is that I think their workshop team does a pretty good job. During my 40 odd mins of thumb twiddling whilst I was waiting for my keys, I got to see them in action through the glass. Their attention to detail, speed and efficiency was very impressive. That said, the sceptic in me thinks they probably put their best workers in the bays visible from the customer waiting area!

I was always under the impression that the customer's loyalty to service department is paramount with any dealership. Isn't that why they always send you 'feel good' letters and surveys afterwards?

Its funny how their customer relations person calls me as I am writing a letter of complaint to their service manager. Poor girl, copped an earful.

Well at least, now I know who to address the letter to!

Will be interesting to see what they came back with..probably will say they were short-staffed....

Its funny how their customer relations person calls me as I am writing a letter of complaint to their service manager. Poor girl, copped an earful.

Well at least, now I know who to address the letter to!

Will be interesting to see what they came back with..probably will say they were short-staffed....

I will not holding my breath about any compensation for your inconvenience that they may have caused... <_<

I am writing a letter of complaint to their service manager.

He will probably be an illiterate bigott

Haha, you could be right. Maybe that is why the customer service girl I should send the little in so they can 'review it together'.