Need advice - new rims or lower the car or both??

Hi guys

Just have a few questions with regard to the rims and lowering.

I recently purchased a 03 Sportivo was previously a Holden fan but pfft what the hell was i thinking

anyhow my friend recently sold his sprotivo and we gota talking about how i can modify my car i dont have much knowledge on any of it and this forum seems to explain alot to me.

For all you sportivo owners or anyone who can help what would you recommend?

should i lower the car and get rims?

just lower the car & keep on the stockies?

Or just get rims?

Im not too sure what to do. My friend seems to think but putting on rims it took away the performance of the vehicle and said i should just lower it and leave the stockies on.

I have seen a few rides on here that are dumped hard and i like that look but also dont want to have to basically roll over a speed hump nor scrub.

Any help for me would be appreciated???

post-7738-1207190197_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I won't be able to help you out that much as I am fairly new to the world of modding Corollas.

I do know however, that many people on these forums would give a big thumbs up for lowering and getting new rims.

Other people will be able to point you in the right direction.

But I think getting 17's are the safer option, rather than getting 18's, performance wise.

Also I think that getting rims won't take away any performance, depending which ones you get.

19" Chromies probably won't help.

As far as I know, there are 3 ways of lowering your car.

1 of which is not recommended.

Springs, Coil Overs... or you could just cut the current ones.... (big no no)

I think some people have Lowered Springs and Coil overs.

You could try a Search and see what you can find.

Good luck with it all, and no doubt someone else who has greater knowledge than myself... can help you out.

Or just get rims?

Im not too sure what to do. My friend seems to think but putting on rims it took away the performance of the vehicle and said i should just lower it and leave the stockies on.

I have seen a few rides on here that are dumped hard and i like that look but also dont want to have to basically roll over a speed hump nor scrub.

Search the forum for info on rims etc, there is tonnes of it on here.

Usually you will want to by rims then lower, simply because you will wont to know how the wheel arches get filled by your rims - although with the Sportivos you almost always need dumpage as they sit so *** damn high.

Hi there,

I won't be able to help you out that much as I am fairly new to the world of modding Corollas.

I do know however, that many people on these forums would give a big thumbs up for lowering and getting new rims.

Other people will be able to point you in the right direction.

But I think getting 17's are the safer option, rather than getting 18's, performance wise.

Also I think that getting rims won't take away any performance, depending which ones you get.

19" Chromies probably won't help.

As far as I know, there are 3 ways of lowering your car.

1 of which is not recommended.

Springs, Coil Overs... or you could just cut the current ones.... (big no no)

I think some people have Lowered Springs and Coil overs.

You could try a Search and see what you can find.

Good luck with it all, and no doubt someone else who has greater knowledge than myself... can help you out.

Thanks Natedog.

im new to corollas too only had it 3 weeks.

i was thinking 17's to coz its quite low now but could still get a lil lower without any issues.

i am aware u can get lowered springs but just want to be certain im not causing more issues for myself by doing all of this.

thanks for your help! :)

Or just get rims?

Search the forum for info on rims etc, there is tonnes of it on here.

Usually you will want to by rims then lower, simply because you will wont to know how the wheel arches get filled by your rims - although with the Sportivos you almost always need dumpage as they sit so *** damn high.

True True thanks Seano

What about rim size tho. Natedog seems to think the safer option is 17's ?

If you get 17's... I am pretty sure you will have no issues whatsoever with them srubbing.

Many people have 18's and rarely have problems with them either.

If you want performance though, I'd stick to 17's.

Ofcourse, I still have the stockies on mine due to lack of money...

But I'd probably go 17's myself if I had the chance.

Depends what how you want it to look, and drive.

And how much money you want to spend. ;)

Drop that thing like a hot pocket fresh from the microwave (personally, a 50mm drop looks nice).

Then look at rims. 17's or 18's are the way to go. 18's may give you a better look, for the sacrifice of some handling. 17's seem to be the best all round.

Btw my car is very dumped and I've had no issues with hitting anything at all. Fair enough you have to be careful going over some bumps in my car, but that's caused by the fact I'm running hard springs in a coilover design.

I recently purchased an 03 Sportivo, was previously a Holden fan but pfft what the hell was I thinking.

You just made my sig.

Sportivo's look like trucks if you put 17's on them without lowering. I say lower it first.

Hot Pockets are American!!! We eat Pizza Pockets here, bacon and cheese, mmmmmmmm :yahoo: Remember the commercial?

"McCain has a tasty pizza snack... They're called Pizza Pockets"

Ahh.. the 90's

Sportivo's look like trucks if you put 17's on them without lowering. I say lower it first.

Hot Pockets are American!!! We eat Pizza Pockets here, bacon and cheese, mmmmmmmm :yahoo: Remember the commercial?

Ahh.. the 90's

*** yes I am getting some tonight.

Drop that thing like a hot pocket fresh from the microwave (personally, a 50mm drop looks nice).

lol like your analysis :clap:

yummmmm lol

so u think basically to put 17's on and lower by 50mm.

whats the go with the springs??

Where abouts are you from?

There are usually meets or cruises around the place every so often.

It'd be a good chance for you to see other members rides in person, as to how you should go about things.

Sometimes photos just don't cut it.

But yes, I think 17's and drop it by 50mm all round sounds like a great idea. :toast:

I used to stick a straw in Pizza Pockets and suck out the filling first. I was/still am a very odd person.

Kings springs are my recommendation for a 50mm drop. It's just right.

18's aren't as bumpy as people make them out to be in my opinion. I've been tossing up putting my 17's into a shop to be touched up and then storing them under the house once the tread is out. I'm paranoid about them now that they're discontinued. I could be going up a size if that happens.

Then again I could just harden up.

Where abouts are you from?

There are usually meets or cruises around the place every so often.

It'd be a good chance for you to see other members rides in person, as to how you should go about things.

Sometimes photos just don't cut it.

But yes, I think 17's and drop it by 50mm all round sounds like a great idea. :toast:

From St Marys Natedog

yeah i noticed the meets waiting for the next one to come up so i can go....

sounds good ill try get it done on the weekend.

thanks heaps guys

Ahh.. the 90's

ahh the 90's... are you even old enough to remember what happened in the 90's whipper snapper??

Damm young cheeky upstarts around here..... AARRGGHHH...... :toast:

i have 17s on my car and mine is lowered about the 35mm mark.....

what i can say is...

1. on stock rims 35mm looks decently low

2. i never wanted my car to be low so i went 35mm, but with 17s i personally am not happy with the height i wish i went lower but as it is now i dont scrape or anything its just that when you park the front is low so u cant go over the gutter part which my dad always does coz he has a 4wd and thinks the car will fit over anything!

3. i was considering 18s but 17s is bumpy enough for me (i get paranoid - i notice even the slightest movement)...so im to decide whether it will be better or worse if the car was even lower...and whether staying with stockies with a lowered car was better.

so really its personal choice what look you want....performance and all that jazz i dont think differs much...its just the $$ to keep it maintained.

My car is like a truck at the moment. Its got 205/55/16 Toyo T1-R with stock suspension. The new tyres fill the guards quite nicely.

Try to find a member here or something to give you a ride in one. I really don't know how people are going around using I think the D2 coilovers with such high springs rates 6-7kg. I'm using Teins at the moment with 3kg front and rear and they are quite stiff IMO.

If your keen on getting one of those things done, then I would say go get rims first. Everyone is different, but personally I don't like using lowering springs with stock shocks. They're too bouncy for my liking, and then coilovers are hella stiff for me. Thinking of rebuilding coilovers to something a bit more suitable for the road at the moment.

I'm the opposite. I don't know how people can complain about those spring rates. They're fine in my opinion. If you get to stupidly pitted roads with pot holes galore, then I guess you have a case. That's just my opinion though.

get your rim's first then lower it cos i have a few friends who lowered it first n then got rim's and it might be too low or not low enough get me ? LOL

but yeah =) get buddyclubs HAHAHA

You're only going to have issues there if you have coilovers, and you've wound them down to ghetto low (being, it's 70 - 90mm from the ground. Illegal height).

16's, 17's, 18's will all go on fine with a 50mm drop, provided you have the correct sized tyres.

205/50 for 16's

215/40 or 205/45 for 17's

215/35 or 225/35 for 18's

I'd be lowering it first still. The stock ride height Toyota had on the Sportivo's was embarrassing to say the least. Who knows what they were thinking.