Fitting Childrens seats

Scott_C

Hi Guys, I know some of you have childrens seats in your Klug. Did you fit them yourselves or get it done professionally?

I had a place fit my baby seats into the Lexus, but it looked so easy, Im sure i can do it for the Kluger myself.

So Taka? Aardvark? Anyone else? :)

I have a child seat in mine. I had the idea that for the first time I will get it professionally installed and I would observe them so I can do it my self next time. The first time it was fitted, it was in my wife's car as we were still waiting for the Kluger. The back seats were quite angled in that car, so they put in a couple of towels to level it back out. In the Kluger the back seats are relatively flat so they only put in one towel at the base.

Both fittings were in 'infant' backward facing style. Soon it will need to be adjusted to frontward facing 'toddler' style. I will probably pay them the $25 to get this done, as I don't trust myself.

Not sure if it is just with our brand, but the manual that comes with the Safe&Sound Meridian is not that easy to follow.

To be honest, Wife and I have done it so many times in all our cars... we are the professional doing so. You need to learn the trick though.

Alyssa is 3 1/2 and Jesslyn is 17 months now and we have fitted the same thing for about 50 times, moving to my 8 and other places.

They are all the same principle. Here is my trick; I think I make it as safe as I can.

Make sure the surface is not loose, a flat surface is the best but if you have leather you can place a towel; but with experience that do not make a lot of difference either. If your car seat comes with a mat underneath - USE IT! They use the best material for the job.

Then get a load. Best to have a carton of coke, if my wife did not see this (she said it is dirty, baby sit in it for *** sake <_<); but it will help the seat stay level, and I think it will give the best(safest) adjustment.

Try to shake the seat at this point, find the spot on the adult seat that is the most steady for the child seat (with the load you will find it easy)

Loosen the back hinch and lock it in first. Then tighten it, unless you have Poppei's arm, the seat will stay still.

Then the seat belt, make sure you go through the hole prescribed (....I was going to make a dirty joke :P:lol:). If the kluger does not lock the belt, make it so. Otherwise, you have to buy a clip to lock it in.

Hope this helps

BTW my wife spent her $20 and learnt it once. And then she taught me!!

Ray, forward facing is 10x easier than backward. Trust me.

Edited by Taka

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Taka, yeah I watched a place do the install on the front facing seats too, certainly is easier than the capsules.

Thanks for your tips though, Ive decided I will do the install myself, but what you said about placing a load of some sort in the seat will come in handy.

Cheers,

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Contact your local council and ask if they have any free baby seat fittings scheduled. I know that Liverpool had on erlier this month and that Bankstown also does them regularly.

We have had 4 cars since my four year old was born (and we are not trading in the Kluger!!!!!) so between him and my 2 year old we have had a lot of practice but the free inspections will give your wife peace of mind.

Contact your local council and ask if they have any free baby seat fittings scheduled. I know that Liverpool had on erlier this month and that Bankstown also does them regularly.

We have had 4 cars since my four year old was born (and we are not trading in the Kluger!!!!!) so between him and my 2 year old we have had a lot of practice but the free inspections will give your wife peace of mind.

Hi Ren, thanks, I ended up doing it myself. Wife was happy. :D

Once you've had the seat in and out a couple of times, you'll be an expert at it.

I find the seatbelt locking mechanism in the Kluger to be superb when it comes to really locking the capsule into place!

We have 2 x maxi riders for older kids, 3 and 5, and the baby capsule we have for our 3rd due this september wont fit! It didd in the commodore:(

It was 2 inches too wide, so i guess once i get the kluger we will be shopping for a narrower c****at for new bubs.

Otherwise, installation is easy if you know what your doing, we see so many people have it installed wrong and you wonder whether you should say anything, as these days, they might take it the wrong way...

Worse one we have seen is a baby capsule rearwards facing, on the front seat! tied to the headrests!!!!!!

Bright spark that one.