Anyone else thinking of improving the horn

mrbishi

Ah Ha......This is one of the very first things I notced when the kluger was launched and I'm embarassed.....for such a big car, the horn that comes with the kluger is (no disrespect to the fairer sex) a bit girlie. If you heard the horn go off you would be looking around for a small car like a Barina or a Corolla......not a big 4WD.

Looks like someone in the US was thinking the same thing and has already done the deed.....have a look here... http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238864 .

So now I have decided to replace it/them. The most impressive horns Ive heard so far are on the Alfa-Romeo 156 ( I used to have one) , it sounds like a truck and certainly makes you jump and take notice.

Im actually looking at using trumpet horns, not the beepers like found on most smaller cars..... Not interested in air-horns, most take too long to build up pressure and activate.

Anyone already done this or thinking of it, that may have a cheaper alternative than expensive eoro-parts. Not sure if I like the sound of the camry horns, but like the horns on most euro cars.

Is that a sydney thing?

I don't use the horn that much, so I don't even know what it sounds like in the Kluger :lol:

Yeah its a Sydney thing. Melbourne drivers use hand gestures! :lol:

No offence intended, I was born and raised in Melbourne, and lived in Sydney for over 15 years. I still get called a Mexican up here. :whistling:

Is that a sydney thing?

I don't use the horn that much, so I don't even know what it sounds like in the Kluger :lol:

Easy way to spot Sydney drivers is by the size of their biceps and pecs from doing pushups on the horn.

Is that a sydney thing?

:lol:

make sure that when you try it taka, that your next to a little cutie car like a brina or yaris etc, just look the other way whistling and no one will think its you. :lol:

Is that a sydney thing?

Yeah its a Sydney thing. Melbourne drivers use hand gestures! :lol:

No offence intended, I was born and raised in Melbourne, and lived in Sydney for over 15 years. I still get called a Mexican up here. :whistling:

:lol::lol::lol:

There's too many stupid people driving in Syd oblivious to their surroundings hence the need to use the horn (just a tap, not leaning on the horn). I used to need the horn at least once a week but it's getting better... might be once a month now so something has changed. Volvo's of the 70's had a nice horn. Throaty note to it. :D

• 1 year later...
Ah Ha......This is one of the very first things I notced when the kluger was launched and I'm embarassed.....for such a big car, the horn that comes with the kluger is (no disrespect to the fairer sex) a bit girlie. If you heard the horn go off you would be looking around for a small car like a Barina or a Corolla......not a big 4WD.

Looks like someone in the US was thinking the same thing and has already done the deed.....have a look here... http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238864 .

So now I have decided to replace it/them. The most impressive horns Ive heard so far are on the Alfa-Romeo 156 ( I used to have one) , it sounds like a truck and certainly makes you jump and take notice.

Im actually looking at using trumpet horns, not the beepers like found on most smaller cars..... Not interested in air-horns, most take too long to build up pressure and activate.

Anyone already done this or thinking of it, that may have a cheaper alternative than expensive eoro-parts. Not sure if I like the sound of the camry horns, but like the horns on most euro cars.

I upgraded my horns on the weekend. It's very easy to do - especially if you use an upgrade horn with a single electrical connection like the OEM horns.

I bought a pair of Fisa horns from eBay:

post-14696-1257325997_thumb.jpg

They cost $42 delivered - 12V twin electromagnetic horns with two tones of 405 cps & 495 cps - 112 db sound pressure.

I had to remove the small clip on the side of the OEM harness connectors which is designed to make sure the horn wire doesn't fall off.

I just taped the new horn connections to each horn to make sure they don't fall off.

There is plenty of room behind the grill and as long as you position the trumpet horn on the right angle they fit in OK.

They are much louder and appear to suit the size of the vehicle much better.

I don't use my horn that often but last time when I had to use it I thought the OEM horn was insipid and ineffective - and this is a cheap and simple upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got these "JDM Toyota Premium Horns" or seen them in action? They were mentioned in the Toyota Nation link in the first post in the thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-...sQ5fAccessories

Are they something local Toyota dealers could source? They seem to be a genuine Toyota part.

Ebay only has them in international stores, nothing here. Cost about $115 AUD delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered the "JDM Toyota Premium Horns" from Ebay ($110.73 delivered from Japan) and they arrived in about 8 days.

They were very easy to install.

I just removed the black plastic grille/radiator cover by taking out the 11 plastic clips that hold it on. This was easy after reading Post #71 here;

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthre...8864&page=5

A good tip from Hado was be careful handling them because if you drop them down in the engine bay things could get frustrating.

Then I used a 12mm socket spanner to undo the bolt holding the horn on (you don't have to worry about trying to hold the nut at the back because it's hard welded to the frame - well done Toyota).

The wiring clicks out of the horn by pushing a plastic lever at the side of the connector and pulling down.

Click the wire into the new horn (exact same connection - fits perfectly), re-attach bolt and tighten and then do the same with the 2nd horn.

Replace the grille/radiator cover by re-inserting the 11 plastic clips.

Completed in about 30 minutes. They look like the pictures at post #60 @ http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthre...8864&page=4

The new horns sound a bit louder and have a deeper note.

I actually jumped the gun and ordered these horns before even hearing the OEM Kluger horn. This was after reading a lot of posts saying how ordinary it was. When I actually heard the OEM horn after getting the vehicle home I didn't think it was that bad to be honest. Having actually spent the money I felt obliged to put them on when they arrived.

In my personal opinion they're better, but I wouldn't say this was a necessary modification.

Edited by BigBad64

• 1 month later...

Hmm yeah must be a city thing. I havent ever used the horn on my last 2 vehicles. Wouldnt even know what they sound like. But if you ask me the best sounding horn is the 2005 VZ SS Crewman horn. Its a Dual tone horn but not a huge bulky thing like these JDM things just a normal round horn. But seriously if you guys have cash to just burn, give it to me. lol

i changed camry horn, but i live in canberra! i can't find anyone to horn at. most useless thing i ever done to a car. maybe i should remove them to save some wight :P

:lol: funny

RoFL.. Second that...

i changed camry horn, but i live in canberra! i can't find anyone to horn at. most useless thing i ever done to a car. maybe i should remove them to save some wight :P

:lol: funny

RoFL.. Second that...

Yeah LMFAO Ill Third that.