OIL GOING?

Hey guys, i have and '03 sportivo and i have had it for about 5-6 months now and it had enough oil in it when i bought it but when i checked it the other day it was right down. i topped it up and now it is fine but i was just wondering why it went soo quickly. has anyone else had these problems or is it just me? any imput would be great. thanks guys.

High revving for prolonged times will increase oil consumption...

How much did it actually need???

You should change the oil every 6 months anyway so now would be a good time to change the oil and filter... Make sure you fill it to the exact full line...

Drive the car for approx 1000kms then re-check the oil level and go from there...

A bit more info is needed. how many k's between you checking the oil/changing it??

how do you drive??

how many k's ahs the car done??

does the car have a complete service history??

If you can answer these it will help some of us offer you the right advice.

Danny I think this is normal, I’ve had a 05 Sportivo since new and have noticed recently that after 10000k of driving when the service is due the oil level had dropped from the top mark (full) to bottom (low), I use fully synthetic Martini oil between changes. That’s 1 litter of oil burnt every 10000 k of driving.

The car is due for its 50000k service next week and I will have the mechanic check it.

Can anyone comment, is this normal?

I have done approx 7,000-10,000 kms since i have had it. i drive it like a usual person would most of the time but yeh i do tend to give it a bit of a thrash when i feel like it. which isnt too often. it needed about 2L of oil and then it was back up to the top level. But yeh i think that i should do the full oil change this weekend oh yeh and it does have a full service history. but i think that if ppl are having these problems (btw thanks heaps for the imput) then it is normal. i will fill it up with beautiful golden bliss this weekend.

thanks heaps guys. any other info that is thrown my way is always helpful

thanks

oil use on stivos is pretty normal mine uses a little oil i regularly keep an eye on it i dont use much more than 300ml in 5000 klms which is when i change my oil id only be concerned if its burning excessive amounts of oil and blowing tonnes of smoke

sorry to steal ur topic mate but just got a quick question also. im gonna do an oil change soon as i do every 5000km's and i bought 5w-30w oil cause winter is just around the corner. do you guys think it might be a little to thin?

mine just rolled on 70,000 and i put 5w30 in as i have every oil change and i still dont have excessive oil consumption which id expect it to start dropping off round 60ish dunno maybe its cause im so anal and wont drive it unless the engine has been warmed up for 10 minutes cause it apparently *reduces wear*

a much debated subject in some circles might also be the oil i use has a friction modifier in it but who knows

mine just rolled on 70,000 and i put 5w30 in as i have every oil change and i still dont have excessive oil consumption which id expect it to start dropping off round 60ish dunno maybe its cause im so anal and wont drive it unless the engine has been warmed up for 10 minutes cause it apparently *reduces wear*

a much debated subject in some circles might also be the oil i use has a friction modifier in it but who knows

I have 130,000 k's on my 1ZZ and it still doesn't eat the oil. When I had 5W-30 it only drank a tiny bit but I went for something thicker anyway.

I've had no oil consumption ever during the 90k that my car has travelled.

My last car (KE Laser) one time out of no where decided to eat a few liters of oil, so keep an eye on it as it may have just been a one off. That was after it's second oil change to full synthetic, all other times afterwards it was fine.

my 2zz doesn't consume any oil at all between services...... south african factory got a lil lazy assembling the motors properly here n there???? LOL

maybe i always thought they just sent the motors over from japan in crates to south africa then they just dropped them in

id just put it down to the variencies in machining tollerances

my 2zz doesn't consume any oil at all between services...... south african factory got a lil lazy assembling the motors properly here n there???? LOL

maybe i always thought they just sent the motors over from japan in crates to south africa then they just dropped them in

id just put it down to the variencies in machining tollerances

x2

And individual treatment

maybe, but why the differences?? hrmmm... well i know that on the 2zz valve heads say "made in japan"

it just happens when things are mass produced you get the odd few that are machined really tight most are normal and others really loose but im talking within microns.

in that kind of environment its hard to monitor the machine work on every part would take too long and cost too much money.

the head is definatly japanese yamaha baby!

these guys have been making the twin cam heads for toyota since they came up with a twin cam engine i know as far back as the 18r-g possibly further

Every 2zz is manufactured and assembled in Japan.

TJ: The word your after is tolerances ;)

I'm no engine expert, but some engines might be experiencing accelerated wear due to climate conditions, such as a lot of dusty areas or treatment. Rings, valve stem seals or a gasket might be on the way out. A compression/leak down test will show up a ring problem. Some gaskets can be visibly checked with an oil leak. While stem seals I think can only be checked by removing the head. Either way the problem will show up as blue smoke out the exhaust. There are a lot more sources then the three listed, but those tend to be the usual ones.