Kevin Rudd

Leroy

Ok, the last time we had a political debate was pre-election. It managed to source some of the more intelligent members back to this joint. So here goes again...

Mr. Rudd and co. have been in power for 6 months now... have they done anything for you?

Some ideas thus far have included:

- Ceasing the ability of employers to create new AWA's.

- Resurrecting the Republic Debate (in the Queen's presence!!)

- Slashing the size of the government employed workforce

- (my personal favourite) Tackling "The Inflation Problem" head on by promising to come through with tax cuts at the same time as the RBA tries to curb spending by lifting official interest rates.

Let loose, children!!

(Intelligent displays only, please... please refrain from foul language and character references)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick FYI here people:

Tony is basically what Darth Vader is to the Emperor, but the Emperor is Nelson.

Continue.

----

I'll have to research more on Mr Fudd. So far he's spoken Cantonese and Mandarin which I think is epic (slight sarcasm there).

I can't get locked into political debate anymore. It makes me sad. Tony will provide enough lol's in here.

I'll just keep praying to the Furby ***

EDIT: Oh for ****'s sake. Can we please just uncensor ****ing '***'? ****.

Nelson made this double post. Not me. He's a noob.

Sorry Tony. Not a good start to the thread. Nelson betrayed you.

Edited by Lord Nelson Derpentstein

Tony will have words with Nelson later. Btw, Tony speaks Hokkien and Zambonish and has such a diverse cabinet... (30 secs later) did I mention that Tony also speaks Hokkien and Zambonish?? - eat your heart out Kevvy...

You forgot reconciliation Leroy, people were all over his junk about that

Yes, another one. Haha... perhaps I'm impatient, but i was hoping this thread would start a fire. So let's start one...

I'm sorry about a lost generation of people. I really am. I'm sorry that it was the scientifically proven catalyst for alcoholism and the discovery of a new way of consuming fuel. Most of all, I am sorry the government has apologised - because I HAVE NOTHING TO BE SORRY ABOUT.

Seriously, though, for those wondering why the inflation problem is my favourite... allow me to put it rather basically. Both the Federal Government and the Reserve Bank (RBA) want to control inflation to, relatively, the same extent. Australia has been growing rapidly for some time now, meaning everyone has a little more money to spend. When people are spending lots, the shopkeepers try to milk that for all its worth, and bump prices up - hence, inflation. So to stop people spending, the RBA increases your interest rates - meaning you have to spend more money on your house and car etc, but also meaning that you have a little less money to spend on fun things. Shopkeepers, in turn, realise people can't afford their wares to the same extent - so they stop bumping the price up for a while. This is how inflation is controlled...

But because Kevin needs to prove he is a man of his word, he wants to give us all a nice cut in the taxes we pay. Which means we all have more money again... what will we do with it? The rich will invest it, and make more money while rates are high - the poor can now go and spend on fun things again! Good huh? *BUZZ - WRONG ANSWER* People spending their Kevin bonus on fun consumables once more means that shopkeepers start bumping prices up once more!! Meaning the rate of Inflation increases once more... Meaning the RBA hits us all with even higher interest rates...and so the ball keeps rolling...

In a nutshell... raising interest rates and cutting taxes are contradictory measures. The RBA will always lift rates in response to inflation, so why fuel the fire by giving people more money?

Not exactly sound economic management, Mr Rudd and Mr Swan...

Your move.

I know... here I was hoping for political opinion.

Maybe that was expecting too much from the serfs...

B)

I don't give much of a toss about politics, but I made a decision a long time ago not to get involved in discussion about economics with people who haven't had a formal education.....

(not saying anything about you, that "inflation for dummies" bit was very concise, I just don't know your background)

I know... here I was hoping for political opinion.

Maybe that was expecting too much from the serfs...

B)

I don't give much of a toss about politics, but I made a decision a long time ago not to get involved in discussion about economics with people who haven't had a formal education.....

(not saying anything about you, that "inflation for dummies" bit was very concise, I just don't know your background)

For the record, I'm finishing my Bachelors this year; with a major in HRM and an incomplete Economics Major. Haha... education or not, I think its quite apparent who has an idea and who doesn't when it comes to this gear. It all comes out through good discussion... by all means fire at will.

I won't take it personally... Tony might. Tony and Nelson are just looking for fireworks anyhow...

BTW - I see you Dylan... challenge me. Challenge anyone.... just say something useful!!!! :clap:

Edited by Leroy

Well, I like Kevin Rudd because he resembles a South Park character like I stated to Tony before.

This one?

468315982_bbed4ae872_m.jpg

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who is running the joint as about 50% will think they are crap while the other 50% think they are the shiznit.

But because Kevin needs to prove he is a man of his word, he wants to give us all a nice cut in the taxes we pay. Which means we all have more money again... what will we do with it? The rich will invest it, and make more money while rates are high - the poor can now go and spend on fun things again! Good huh? *BUZZ - WRONG ANSWER* People spending their Kevin bonus on fun consumables once more means that shopkeepers start bumping prices up once more!! Meaning the rate of Inflation increases once more... Meaning the RBA hits us all with even higher interest rates...and so the ball keeps rolling...

All I can say is Rudd hasn't done anything to impress me yet, next

Also Leroy nice point on how poor people are the reason for inflation, although I believe the middle-psuedo-upper class share the blame with their game of keeping up with the jones.

All I can say is Rudd hasn't done anything to impress me yet, next

Also Leroy nice point on how poor people are the reason for inflation, although I believe the middle-psuedo-upper class share the blame with their game of keeping up with the jones.

Haha - my intention wasn't to bag the lower classes. What I was trying to say was: while the tax cuts might seem a nice idea, and thats exactly what the lower working classes are pining for right now, it will only help keep a nice big gap between them and the upper classes. Rudd and Swan are only encouraging the poor to continue spending - which, of course, is only going to drive up rates, allowing the rich to make more money from their investments.

You are completely right, the middle classes have the same mentality - "houses are too expensive, so we'll buy a big screen TV and a new car instead".

Even better is that there is a supposed housing crisis... but what is driving that? People keeping up with the Jones' and being picky about where they want to live. Everyone is competing for the same areas near their favourite hotspots - only driving rent prices up.

The upper classes already have their luxury consumables, and spend most of their time making money with real estate and various other investments - not splurging in the department stores.

You would think that in times of financial hardship, people without money would try and save. But its becoming the other way around. Why save when it wont be enough? So lets spend instead!

So as much as we can despise the filthy rich for having so much money while there is so much hardship, they (ironically enough) are not the ones blissfully ignorant of their inflationary spending.

Edited by Leroy

I was half asleep this morning watching the news and if I remember correctly the CPI is up 1.5% and inflation is sitting at 4.2%. Sooo... The interest rates better start curbing the spending mighty quick. Sorry if the figures are wrong, I was half asleep.