Shakey steering wheel

linzz82

Hi all

ive got an annoying problem with my steering, just wondering if anyones got any idea what it could be?

What happens is the steering wheel shakes from side to side, kinda quivering slightly left to right. I've had the wheels balanced twice (14inch alloys) and a 4 wheel alignment. And the problem still seems to be there. It's a 96 model corolla with 140k on it, so would it be the bushes, tie rods or somthing worn out in the suspension. seems to get worse the faster i go 80kph+.

I had the same problem with my old Camry 95 Vienta.

I had my alignment checked and wheel balacned, but still happened. So I changed the brake discs since I realised when I jacked my car up and stepped on the gas I thought the plate wasn't spinning straight.

Since then problem gone, trial and error really. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

I put 34 in front and 32 rear. Only when driving not when braking. Gets worse the faster i go. Doing 100kph dont feel to good. Could it even be in the steering rack like its loose or somthing?

I put 34 in front and 32 rear. Only when driving not when braking. Gets worse the faster i go. Doing 100kph dont feel to good. Could it even be in the steering rack like its loose or somthing?

maybe uneven tyre wear? i dunno.. recently i put my stockies back so i can respray my rims while i send my car into the smashie, i find that the 15's i got which has three different brand of tyres (dont ask me why, ask toyota) and the steering shakes abit when i drive.. not dramatically but just a bit..

thats def wheel balance man.. mine used to do the same thing maybe bring it to a different place to get the balance done..

A few things to look at.

Tyres. Perhaps a delaminated tyre of lump in the tread/sidewall.

Rims. Are they factory of aftermarket?? If they are aftermarket do they have hub rings fitted??

worn ball joint/tie rods. I would prolly lean towards tie rod and perhaps the steering rack could be also be worn as well.

If you have had balancing done and it still does it my pick would be prolly one of the first 2 listed above.

could also be your wheel bearings. oh yeh careful on wheel alignment places, can be dodgy. normally only a 4 wheel steer need 4 wheel alignment, unless you sideswiped your rears on the gutter or something, if they don't recommend just a front wheel alignment then they jus want your money... also if the steering rack or tie rod end etc.. is faulty, they CAN'T do a proper wheel alignment n they have to tell you that they can't do it coz of etc. etc. needs repairing first. of course if they can't do it they have to wait for you to see a mechanic first THEN earn your money. wait for someone who might not come back??? don't think so, jus do a dodgy. see a mechanic with this problem

Edited by kool_toyz