NEED HELP ON LOWERING INFO ABOUT RUBBING

haha brother from another mother havent heard that for awhile lol

i have to be hammering mine reasonbly hard thru some dips to get it to scrub without a load in it at all but it will do it but van guaranty it with my trailer on but mind u my trailer holds 3 atvs in it and unloaded weight is around the 850-900 kg mark but thats to be expected.

on the other hand mine hasnt at all worn a hole thru the guards in fact its hardly made an impression at all just the odd bit of that furry crap hangin about but not noticable unless u stick ya head there.

have u had all the camber etc reset just to be sure i got mine checked the other day as well as toe in/out and it was fine but the front left had +3 degrees on it the wheel joint i got it done last time didnt tighten the pedders camber bolt to right torque which is 125ft/lbs therefore rotating and flogging it out but its good now i couldnt tell u what offset my wheels are etc all i know is they dont scrub and the cars drives beutiful.

but i'd do the easy things first b4 cutting springs, changing struts and even slammin the old ones back in id wouldnt think it should scrub that much.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently drove from Darwin to Perth with the ORIGINAL springs fitted, cargo of one passenger and around 120kg of luggage in the boot and on the rear seat. The road was not all that rough but the odd dip in the road still caused it to scrub and it DID wear a hole through both rear inner gaurds. I have some rub marks on the front inners too (The tyres where fine). I think any size rim (18, 19, 20 etc) will have similar problems with a 245 or larger tyre fitted.

so yours still rubbed even at standard height i just did that same drive but from perth to darwin via gero etc andwith my trailer on and loaded to hilt in the boot and back seat and only got srubbing coming on and off the bridges and some of the sharper flood ways i found even on the road between kunnunara and katherine (which i reckon was the worst stretch) it didnt do it that much and defiantly hasnt worn a hole in the guards

Edited by v8toy

I agree its not advisable to go with the chop or press method of springs, but as an alternative to ripping through the guards then there they are... Unfortunaltely I dont think there is any room to flare the guards anymore otherwise i'll add that to the list.

I agree its not advisable to go with the chop or press method of springs, but as an alternative to ripping through the guards then there they are... Unfortunaltely I dont think there is any room to flare the guards anymore otherwise i'll add that to the list.

Yeah, i just shaved off some lips off the inside guard and its all good now, ( see other topic my lowered ride... explains everything. ) Thank *** i end up bein a less expensive measure. Cost me about $ 12 from bunnings for sandpaper and a small hand wood plainer.

Thanks for the info.

Bondie

there should b a better way to solve this problem.. a permanent way so as to have 3 passenger at the back seats...

i m getting my exhaust system done in this 2 weeks, then exam comes, after exam, my rim will be repainted and will start the suspension working..

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like this topic has been off for like 2 weeks..Haha

But I just had this exact problem after the lowering and it's still rubbing..

What I'm gonna do, is roll the inner guard and put a lower profile tyre.

Currently, Mine's is 255/35 for the back and 245/35 for the front..

Gonna bring it down to 255/30 and still wondering if i should bring down the front too.. :unsure:

Gonna bring it down to 255/30 and still wondering if i should bring down the front too.. :unsure:

How come you went 255's, does your rim allow 245's.

What springs were involved with the lowering?. I have 245/35, and it still rubs now and then, but not too much. If my tyre was a little bit thinner it wouldn't rub on raised area on the black plastic.

Where on the car is it rubbing? (black plastic guard, or the actuall guard. )

Is it rubbing back and front?.

When mine rubs, its on the black plastic attached to the inner guard, not actually on the guard itself. The guy at pedders said if the Aurion allows it, he might be able to adjust the camber, which will pull them in a bit, as the wheel is just nicking the black plastic.

Or he said he could put some trd bump stops, which would restrict the fall of the car on dips and therefore reduce the wheel rubbing. But im unsure if a bigger bump stop would then make the car bottom out on its bump stops more oftern, and i know thats when bump stops hit, it is a worse feeling than a little scrubbing noise.

How bad is your scubbing?

Is it that bad enough, that it is rubbing on the actuall guard - that you will have to roll the guard. If they roll the guard, do they have a plastic mould to replace that black guard there now, otherwise if they roll the guard and have to remove that inner black plastic, your motor will pick up all the **** off the road, and it might even void your warranty, if something happens to you motor due to some s**t flying up from the highway, and you dont have that inner plastic you probably wont be covered.

With your question, "Gonna bring it down to 255/30 and still wondering if i should bring down the front too.. :unsure:" - you will have to work out how much depth it is scrubbing by, and whether it is the font, back or both, before you fork out money for new tyres. If you want your insurance to cover you make sure you get load rated tyres. I know that not many 30's are load rated to the aurion spec, although nankangs have a 30 that is load rated for the aurion, but that brand is hard as hell. 30's are going to a fairly rough ride as well. I had nankangs on my XR6 ute, and they were sh*t, hard and noisey. Good for burnouts though. haha. I know the load index for a aurion atx is 95, unsure for other models though.

You also have to remember, that the car will dropp even more after you lower it. After about two weeks you will notice the springs settling in, and the car dropping a little bit more. So if you have just had it done. Give it two weeks of driving before calculating your measurements.

But if your not worried about legalities, and load ratings, nor the hardness of a ride, and you have a bit of dough, f*ck it, see if you can roll it, slam 22"s with a low profile, i reckon it would look mean as.

20" on a aurion, i reckon still looks a bit small, for the size of the car. I went from 22" to 24" on my explorer, all i did was, i just lowered the profile. Even though it was the toughest looking car i have ever owned , it was the roughest ride ever, = sacrificed looks for comfort unfortunately.

I have a appointment with the suspension guy this week, as i have family comming down, and with a full loaded car, this is when my car will shine in the scrubbing department, Ill let you know how i go and what outcomes / results i have.

Edited by BONDIE

What springs were involved with the lowering?. I have 245/35, and it still rubs now and then, but not too much. If my tyre was a little bit thinner it wouldn't rub on raised area on the black plastic.

When mine rubs, its on the black plastic attached to the inner guard, not actually on the guard itself. The guy at pedders said if the Aurion allows it, he might be able to adjust the camber, which will pull them in a bit, as the wheel is just nicking the black plastic.

Or he said he could put some trd bump stops, which would restrict the fall of the car on dips and therefore reduce the wheel rubbing. But im unsure if a bigger bump stop would then make the car bottom out on its bump stops more oftern, and i know thats when bump stops hit, it is a worse feeling than a little scrubbing noise.

Is it that bad enough, that it is rubbing on the actuall guard - that you will have to roll the guard. If they roll the guard, do they have a plastic mould to replace that black guard there now, otherwise if they roll the guard and have to remove that inner black plastic, your motor will pick up all the **** off the road, and it might even void your warranty, if something happens to you motor due to some s**t flying up from the highway, and you dont have that inner plastic you probably wont be covered.

With your question, "Gonna bring it down to 255/30 and still wondering if i should bring down the front too.. :unsure:" - you will have to work out how much depth it is scrubbing by, and whether it is the font, back or both, before you fork out money for new tyres. If you want your insurance to cover you make sure you get load rated tyres. I know that not many 30's are load rated to the aurion spec, although nankangs have a 30 that is load rated for the aurion, but that brand is hard as hell. 30's are going to a fairly rough ride as well. I had nankangs on my XR6 ute, and they were sh*t, hard and noisey. Good for burnouts though. haha. I know the load index for a aurion atx is 95, unsure for other models though.

You also have to remember, that the car will dropp even more after you lower it. After about two weeks you will notice the springs settling in, and the car dropping a little bit more. So if you have just had it done. Give it two weeks of driving before calculating your measurements.

But if your not worried about legalities, and load ratings, nor the hardness of a ride, and you have a bit of dough, f*ck it, see if you can roll it, slam 22"s with a low profile, i reckon it would look mean as.

20" on a aurion, i reckon still looks a bit small, for the size of the car. I went from 22" to 24" on my explorer, all i did was, i just lowered the profile. Even though it was the toughest looking car i have ever owned , it was the roughest ride ever, = sacrificed looks for comfort unfortunately.

I have a appointment with the suspension guy this week, as i have family comming down, and with a full loaded car, this is when my car will shine in the scrubbing department, Ill let you know how i go and what outcomes / results i have.

Totally Making sense.. My rims are 20x9.5 and 8.5

Dun wanna sacrifice All the Comfys purely all for looks... So i thought i wanna have a higher profile...

Didnt think it would have this much effect on Aurion since I saw a lot of people using 22s.. I'm using Pedders Btw..

It scrubs the Inner Black Guard that I rolled it a bit..

Thx for Informin me btw.. Never knew about Insurance has anything to do with Tyres..

Yeh, I know 30s will drive me nuts, but it's heapz better than the sound of scrubbin..

My problem now is...If I were to change my rear tyres.. What should I do with the current tyre.. It's been only for 2 weeks.. :(

Or alternatively.. Camber

I'll try talkin to my Mechanics of Camber and what u mentioned..

Anw..I'll post up of how low My car is @ present..

To Be Continued~

Edited by VF-X

Dun wanna sacrifice All the Comfys purely all for looks... So i thought i wanna have a higher profile...

Didnt think it would have this much effect on Aurion since I saw a lot of people using 22s.. I'm using Pedders Btw..

Thx for Informin me btw.. Never knew about Insurance has anything to do with Tyres..

Yeh, I know 30s will drive me nuts, but it's heapz better than the sound of scrubbin..

My problem now is...If I were to change my rear tyres.. What should I do with the current tyre.. It's been only for 2 weeks.. :(

To Be Continued~

So did you manage to get 9.5 on the back, and have you rolled you guard already?. Do you have that deeper dish on the back?.

Thats what i wanted to do, i had that on my xr6 ute,= 8.5 on front and 9.5 on back, and it looked pretty sweet. But when i went to do that on the aurion, the wheel guy said that it wouldnt be recomended, as front wheel drive, a smaller rim would be pulling a larger one, when it should be the other way round. How does the ride feel,(apart from the scrubbing). Have you had any probs(motor running harder) and what did your wheel guy say?. If yours still runs sweet, with no probs, i might upgrade to a 9.5 on the back. Do you notice the rolled guard on the car and where did you get that done and how much.

If you talk to your wheel guy, some coy's will do trade in's for tyres and rims. Considering you have only had them for two weeks, he might trade in the tyres and give you a discount on the newies. Although considering the tyres have done stuff all km's, he also might give them a clean and put them on the back shelf and sell them to the next guy. There are some dodgee dudes out there.

Have you got any more pics of your beast in the sun, be good to see how the 9.5 looks on the back.

Tell us what you mechanic says, and ill see if i can get some sort of results off mine. Theres got to be a easier way out of this sh*t.

Also I just remembered, if yours is scrubbing on the front black plastic where the raised area is (just inside the rim) be careful because under the raised area is the bolt to hold the front spoiler on, (reason for the raised area). And you dont want that digging in to your tyre. Also will depend on the fall of your car when it scrubs.

Edited by BONDIE

To Be Continued~

So did you manage to get 9.5 on the back, and have you rolled you guard already?. Do you have that deeper dish on the back?.

Thats what i wanted to do, i had that on my xr6 ute,= 8.5 on front and 9.5 on back, and it looked pretty sweet. But when i went to do that on the aurion, the wheel guy said that it wouldnt be recomended, as front wheel drive, a smaller rim would be pulling a larger one, when it should be the other way round. How does the ride feel,(apart from the scrubbing). Have you had any probs(motor running harder) and what did your wheel guy say?. If yours still runs sweet, with no probs, i might upgrade to a 9.5 on the back. Do you notice the rolled guard on the car and where did you get that done and how much.

If you talk to your wheel guy, some coy's will do trade in's for tyres and rims. Considering you have only had them for two weeks, he might trade in the tyres and give you a discount on the newies. Although considering the tyres have done stuff all km's, he also might give them a clean and put them on the back shelf and sell them to the next guy. There are some dodgee dudes out there.

Have you got any more pics of your beast in the sun, be good to see how the 9.5 looks on the back.

Tell us what you mechanic says, and ill see if i can get some sort of results off mine. Theres got to be a easier way out of this sh*t.

Also I just remembered, if yours is scrubbing on the front black plastic where the raised area is (just inside the rim) be careful because under the raised area is the bolt to hold the front spoiler on, (reason for the raised area). And you dont want that digging in to your tyre. Also will depend on the fall of your car when it scrubs.

Yep..The back has been on 9.5 for quite a while.. It looks sweet.

In My opinion, It doesnt really matter whether the small one pulling the larger one.. And everything seems normal so far..

Wheel Guy didnt say anything.. O yea, he said 'Nice rims' . :D . I'm @ NSW and friends told me on this mechanic, @ Arncliffe. He charged me for $100.. Dunno if it's pricey..

Been trying to get a pic under the sun... Out of luck, cloudy and drizzling..

Thanx man, But i think mine's alrite so far. Mechanic didnt say anethin about the rubbin effect.. If anethin ever happened like What you've just said, gonna burn his place to ash... :lol:

I'll try takin pictures under some lights on the Basement. I'll post it up by tonite.

Here you go, this is solve the rubbing issue~

Just follow da steps~

Thx Heapz..

I wonder if i should do the 'pipe roll' over to expand the vender.

Here you go, this is solve the rubbing issue~

Just follow da steps~

Thx Heapz..

I wonder if i should do the 'pipe roll' over to expand the vender.

this is just an idea how it COULD BE DONE. There are correct ways to do it actually. Go to a proper shop for rolling...

The pipe roll is just, COOL!! :P

To Be Continued~

In My opinion, It doesnt really matter whether the small one pulling the larger one.. And everything seems normal so far..

Wheel Guy didnt say anything.. O yea, he said 'Nice rims' . :D . I'm @ NSW and friends told me on this mechanic, @ Arncliffe. He charged me for $100.. Dunno if it's pricey..

Thanx man, But i think mine's alrite so far. Mechanic didnt say anethin about the rubbin effect.. If anethin ever happened like What you've just said, gonna burn his place to ash... :lol:

I'll try takin pictures under some lights on the Basement. I'll post it up by tonite.

Apologise to bring back a old topic. But this is mostly for VF-X. My rubbing problem is now fixed. Took my tyres back to the orginal dealer. Traded my 245/35/20 in for 245/30/20 and there is no rubbing at all anymore. The whole problem is fixed. It only reduced the overall diameter of the tyre by 2.4 cm but made the world of difference. The feell of the ride is actually no much different from before, as i thought it would have had a drastic change in driving. Took it over some big dips and all good. It actually looks better on the rim i reckon, having a little less tyre.

I tallked to the dealer about, rolling the guards, camber, machining the back of the rims. But the easiest approach was just to change the tyre. I got my original tyres for $375 each and got a trade back for about $280, so i payed about a difference of about $90 each for the new ones, which i was pretty happy with.

To Be Continued~

Apologise to bring back a old topic. But this is mostly for VF-X. My rubbing problem is now fixed. Took my tyres back to the orginal dealer. Traded my 245/35/20 in for 245/30/20 and there is no rubbing at all anymore. The whole problem is fixed. It only reduced the overall diameter of the tyre by 2.4 cm but made the world of difference. The feell of the ride is actually no much different from before, as i thought it would have had a drastic change in driving. Took it over some big dips and all good. It actually looks better on the rim i reckon, having a little less tyre.

I tallked to the dealer about, rolling the guards, camber, machining the back of the rims. But the easiest approach was just to change the tyre. I got my original tyres for $375 each and got a trade back for about $280, so i payed about a difference of about $90 each for the new ones, which i was pretty happy with.

Thanks Champ..

I just went to Tempe yesterday, for this scrubbing thing.. And cost me $200 bux in total for some tyres that's not even a month used..Not 2 happy, considering there are only minor scratches on the side.

Traded my rear ones from 255/35 to 245/30. Not happy again as front and rear now have the same width...:(

Coz they dont have 255/30. F*ck

Front with Kumho and Rear with Nankang..How F**ked does that sound?

It's true that the scrubbin problem is not there anemore.. But I'll need to lower it again.. And Camber it...

Just have to do it..=\

Geez 30 height, you gonna be riding on rails there.

**Importantly make sure you take care of teh tyres, 3cm means no sidewall flex whatsoever, so keep in inflated to a good pressure at all times otherwise it will errode inside out and may bubble when you go over bumps.**

Check it every 3 fuel fills

Geez 30 height, you gonna be riding on rails there.

**Importantly make sure you take care of teh tyres, 3cm means no sidewall flex whatsoever, so keep in inflated to a good pressure at all times otherwise it will errode inside out and may bubble when you go over bumps.**

Check it every 3 fuel fills

Cheers for the info, i didnt know about the tyre flex. Ill keep that in mind.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

My Aurion been lowered with kings today.

Iam not there to see it but mrs reckons that the back scrapes some times is this normal on kings 245/30/20 by 8inch wheels

Iam not there to assess the car?

2 x baby seats at the back boot not loaded.

o.k i c others on kings have same problem is it rubbing the plastic or the metal guard will liping help?

my mrs says it bad cause we live in a windy estate. grrrrrrrr :angry:

AUR30N

Edited by AUR30N

My Aurion been lowered with kings today.

Iam not there to see it but mrs reckons that the back scrapes some times is this normal on kings 245/30/20 by 8inch wheels

Iam not there to assess the car?

2 x baby seats at the back boot not loaded.

o.k i c others on kings have same problem is it rubbing the plastic or the metal guard will liping help?

my mrs says it bad cause we live in a windy estate. grrrrrrrr :angry:

AUR30N

she must be hitting the corners hard or its a bumpy road, as i said in the PM its not taking the paint off on mine and there 8.5s so i wouldnt worry about it man, i scraoe once every 5 or so times of normal driving so its not to much man. if ur missis recons its more then it might be an issue but with 8's wide i doubt it....worst sound wen it scrapes btw makes u cringe