Aurion performance chips

TRD228

Hi,

Has anyone started to look at making performance chips for the aurions??????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is going to be much of an improvement by changing/modifying the ECU. The Aurion is already pushing quite a bit of power as it is. Any modification like that would only really benefit with additional modifications/forced induction. But then again, having the VVTi, leaves some room for change, but wouldn't Toyota have already optimised that?

I've also heard that the Lexus ECU's are encrypted. I would guess the new Toyota's would be the same right?

for aurion, a chip will only gain after intake, exhaust system, suspension and some bigger mods(exp: turbo) are changed.. meantime, there is no need of one. 1 more month i will have my exhaust fund readied.. haha! basically same as darius's

in simple words, for modern cars, ECU change is not needed.. until some big mod made.

Edited by dannywss

people thinking that you just simply change an ECU and "Bam" you got yourself a massive gain are kidding. You have to make mods to pretty much the Suck, Bang and Blow systems (Intake, Ignition/Fuel and Exhaust) before even thinking about changing an ECU. The donk seems to be putting out about as much neigh neighs (HP) as you can get without doing some major mods on those described systems. The intake is basically CAI anyways..........

Edited by beaves

at the end of the day, the Aurion is relatively heavy family car. If people want a performance car, then buy a Supra, Celica or an MR2. I bought mine because I think they are one hell of a nice looking car and still has enough room if i decide to have a family,in the near future, and it still has plenty of power to get around on the highway. Each to their own, but i think there are far more economical ways to have a quick sports car............

Edited by beaves

agreed forced inducion, big intake or one that suits, major exhaust AND manifold mods (intake and exhaust) then u'll be lookin at head work such as cleanin up the intake/exhaust then maybe even bottom end work to justify chipping it or replacing the ecu which could be a head *$#* with bcm's etc but possible u would have to do too much for the chip to be worthwhile (if replacable)

im sure toyota would have there crap sorted with the vvti etc.

would be interesting to see a bombed v6 though :spiteful::spiteful::spiteful::spiteful::spiteful:

i think i'll stick to the minor zorst and wheel/suspension mods 4 now hehe

Agree with beaves, If you want performance why buy an Aurion, its a family car in the end.

As for ECU or any particular modification parts for that matter, I don't think the lifecycle and cult status of this car warrants 3rd parties to make dedicated parts for the Car, just look at the maxima, not many done up and how long on the market?. But don't get me wrong that you may be lucky and a business or two will experiment with performance parts.

I have looked into tuning the Aurion a bit and I have done a fair bit of engine tuning in the past on all sorts of engines from VW flat fours, Ford fours, Holden, falcon and Valiant Hemi 6's and I can't see it as worthwhile.

There are very few things in the Aurion that could be further improved for performance without major compromises. There is a little bit of power and I mean less than 10 rear wheel kw maximum, that could be gained from the exhaust if you don't care or worry about noise and emission control. There is no gain from any intake system cold air or ram air that would make any measurable differnce at road speeds. The basics cylinder head design compression ignition and valve timing leave very little improvement to be made. The ECU progrqam is typically programmed to be on the safe side but all the fuel economy improvement testing Toyota ran mean it actually runs very close to the ideal for performance too. If you had a manual six speed close ratio gearbox and could keep the engine in thee 4500-6500 rev range then some gains could be made with cam timing changes but it would be strictly race use then only and worse for every day street use.

The only thing I see as useful to add performace would be a bigger engine, direct injection from the lexus and AWD transmission system but supercharging is the easiest way to achieve a bigger engine and TRD have proven that through even though they couldn't get big gains either although a true 40kw gain on a 200kw engine is really very good it doesn't sound as impressive as some of the falcon turbo six claims you here of.

Overall the Aurion is a family car one with a decent engine and turn of speed that would beat any performance car of the 70's or 80's but today it can't hope to cut it against AWD turbo sixes and fours that can use the power they have in every day sitiations safely.

I think you would be surprised how much power you would get iwht some properly made headers,collecotrs and exhaust system. Add a properly made CAI and the gains would be there.

They said the same about the Sportivo Corolla so I went ahead and spent the coin and got the gains. 9kw atw from cat back, 4 kw from CAI and another 5 odd kw from headers and a heap of mid range torque.

Any of the QLd guys/girls wanting CAI and/or exhaust done then give CES a call. They have designed the catback systems and CAI's for the Corolla and the Corolla Sportivo as well as designing a CAI for the new Corolla so would certainly be happy to help Aurion owners out.

There number is 07 3200 2333.

I would love the hear the sound of an Aurion with a prefab stainless CAI like the CES ones, make me drool after hearing that Aurion with the exhaust done.

bad luck u r in ACT, i have changed the whole intake with HKS pod. :rolleyes:

I would love the hear the sound of an Aurion with a prefab stainless CAI like the CES ones, make me drool after hearing that Aurion with the exhaust done.

bad luck u r in ACT, i have changed the whole intake with HKS pod. :rolleyes:

*drool*

:clap:

I am very sure proper CAI will gain some performance. Done that, enjoying it! and now still waiting for exhaust done then dyno.

I really doubt that any CAI will do anything but give you a faster under bonnet look.

This is mostly a huge con. There is no science to why it should do anything this side of the butterfly.

Exhaust tuning will work but how much gain is the question. Better sound sure. More kw on the dyno well not much but a before and after test back to back would impress me. ECU tuning to make the exhaust mods work well that may add a bit but again who is doing it and how much.

The basic facts are a 200kw 3.5L engine is not going to have all that much upside without some more major mods and CAI and exhaust aren't going to make big differences.

Gone are the days when you could get your stock falcon/holden/valaint 100kw odd 3 Plus litre six to increase in power by 20% just by sticking on extractors and a decent exhaust.

Quote anyone who has said they will gain 20%... Silvabullit clearly explained the numbers he had achieved on a Corolla Sportivo, we aren't really expecting anything over 10kW gain with exhaust and CAI

I am very sure proper CAI will gain some performance. Done that, enjoying it! and now still waiting for exhaust done then dyno.

I really doubt that any CAI will do anything but give you a faster under bonnet look.

This is mostly a huge con. There is no science to why it should do anything this side of the butterfly.

Exhaust tuning will work but how much gain is the question. Better sound sure. More kw on the dyno well not much but a before and after test back to back would impress me. ECU tuning to make the exhaust mods work well that may add a bit but again who is doing it and how much.

The basic facts are a 200kw 3.5L engine is not going to have all that much upside without some more major mods and CAI and exhaust aren't going to make big differences.

Gone are the days when you could get your stock falcon/holden/valaint 100kw odd 3 Plus litre six to increase in power by 20% just by sticking on extractors and a decent exhaust.

Totally agree, as said earlier, I would want to see a DYNO graph as well, if your just shifting power along the band e.g. (taking 10kw and torque down at 4-5000rpms and adding that to the peak is really useless and rice. unless your planning on fanging your car all the time... Otherwise you'll be wasting more fuel keeping up the revs)

and plus major mods, say goodbye to warranty alltogether.