Parking Sensors Installed

JIN

Hi Guys.

I just installed parking sensors and it was pretty fun.

Tossing the cable into the car from trunk and arranging all the cables were the hard part. :spiteful:

I've got 4 sensors on the back bumper only because taking the front bumper off is really hard for me.

Has anyone done 6 or 8 sensors on both front and back bumpers?

post-7702-1211376452_thumb.jpg

post-7702-1211376500_thumb.jpg

post-7702-1211376526_thumb.jpg

post-7702-1211376544_thumb.jpg

post-7702-1211376566_thumb.jpg

post-7702-1211376584_thumb.jpg

Edited by JIN

Actually you can this too without taking down the back bumper.. with the "magical yellow stick" (if you people dont get what i meant, i will take a pic of it, but tat's wat ppl call it)

And 1 more suggestion too, you can choose to connect power from the taillight, rather the light on the spoiler to save some trouble..

But it is a good job done, clean and tidy

(btw, good to see people putting some effort to take pics and uploading them~ good good)

Actually you can this too without taking down the back bumper.. with the "magical yellow stick" (if you people dont get what i meant, i will take a pic of it, but tat's wat ppl call it)

And 1 more suggestion too, you can choose to connect power from the taillight, rather the light on the spoiler to save some trouble..

But it is a good job done, clean and tidy

(btw, good to see people putting some effort to take pics and uploading them~ good good)

"Magical yellow stick" eh? Is that like the coat-hanger method but easier/safer against scratches?

Also, nice work with the parking sensors JIN. I've seriously been considering installing some since I still haven't gotten 100% used to gauging distance at the back. So many times I have parked and ended up thinking I was about to hit the car behind me, yet I has nowhere near close. If I did it though, I'd need to find a way to mount the display (probably pulling it apart and working from there) so that it doesn't look like an add-on. After having numerous things here and there on my Camry, I want everything on my Aurion to be seamlessly integrated (subwoofer excluded, I'm too broke to afford a custom enclosure). I'm quite picky about the way things look. That's why if I want a GPS I'm not buying a Navman because for me, it will sit out of place and I wont like the look. I need to go and buy the factory fit, stereo/nav unit to make me happy.

Edited by DJKOR

Nice work mate.

Mine were installed before I bought the car (2nd hand). Not sure it they are original Toyota or not but I only have a 'beep' sensor with the speaker located on the rear parcel shelf. It's connected to the gear selector so it only works when I've got the transmisison in ''R'.

But I must say - I've gotten the SX6 into some pretty tight spots and really I owe it all to the sensors. If you don't have any I would recommend that you get some. They are worth the investment. Good for parking in my garage where I need to be about 2 inch from the shelving in order to shut the garage door, a distance meter would have been good though. Now I just installed reverse stops in my garage (a lump of 4x2 timber) which stops my rear wheels.

Nice to see some sequence photos of the install. Anyone doing stuff like this should photo document it so people can see what's involved before commencing there install.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I connected the power cable from the main sensor unit with the parking white(yellow?) tail light which is turned on when you reverse.

So the parking sensors work only when I reverse otherwise it's gonna kill me by beeping whole time when I drive in city something. :lol:

Also I was about to do the documenting for installing parking sensors but I forgot to take photo pics on some stages so I just uploaded some pics. :P

I have to install some more parking sensors on my parents car (2camrys) tonight and tomorrow night so I will try to make a guide in installing all the steps included.

I am pretty with DJKOR about the looking inside as factory.

I don't like the look if something doesn't look like factory except wheels or some other exteriors but I had to install this because I had some bad expriences of reversing.

One of them is, when I had Honda Accord(1994), I stopped in a parking place and did some paper works in the car about 15 mins.

After that I was reversing to leave and I could hear a lady yelled at me.

There was a small child at the back of my car and I almost hit him because he was so small and out of sight.

The baby was about 60CM tall that reaches about the badge of car at the back.

The reason why I installed the sensors is, it would not only be helpful when you are parking but also it might help to prevent some safety issues.

Also, the height of the back sight that I can see from the room mirror is a bit high (It is much higher than honda accord1994).

Maybe I am not getting used in spoiler on the boot.

I would really recommend to have parking sensors if you don't have one because you can prevent some accidental scratches or dings on the back bumper.

My parking sensors only cost AU$25 and 2.5 hours to install them. :yahoo:

BTW, what is the magical yellow stick??

Also, does installing parking sensors void warranty??

Edited by JIN

The yellow stick..

Used a lot in audio installation.. Very useful for cabling telephone lines and cables too!!

22052008135fb1.th.jpg

22052008136wh2.th.jpg

It cant be bought, not even in bunnings.. i spent a lot of time looking for it with no luck.. Ended up picking it from a construction site.. (hrm.. hope i m not stealing..)

The yellow stick..

Used a lot in audio installation.. Very useful for cabling telephone lines and cables too!!

22052008135fb1.th.jpg

22052008136wh2.th.jpg

It cant be bought, not even in bunnings.. i spent a lot of time looking for it with no luck.. Ended up picking it from a construction site.. (hrm.. hope i m not stealing..)

Oh I see what you mean.

I can get a lot of them from my work place tho.

How do they work anyway?

I took the back bumper off because I didn't want to cut any wires if there were some wires passing where I drilled.

Back bumpers of some other cars got filled with forms and I wasn't sure the bumper of my car is empty or filled with forms. :P

Rear Bumper takes all of 5 mins to remove and makes the job a whole lot easier...

I fit the genuine sensor kits at work sometimes...

So easy to install and the wiring is a breeze with the genuine kits, takes all of 30 - 45 mins to install with most cars...

The yellow stick..

22052008135fb1.th.jpg

22052008136wh2.th.jpg

It's the plastic yellow tongue form tongue & groove particle floor board . . . usually :)

Well that's where most of our guys get it from . . . .

http://www.gunnersens.com.au/products/buil...d-flooring.html

Edited by Danos

ahar.. it is called tongue.. i c

it is reasonable for not expert person to install the reverse sensor for 2 hrs.. good experience and i believe you can do faster from now on.. i remember it took me very long time to screw those holes, coz i was soo nervous i slip and scratch the bumper.. :o

That yellow stick is known as a "cavity queen" or "yellow snake" and is availible at all electrical wholesalers. I use them all the time to feed cables up wall cavities.