So, death of a Paseo :(

Driving back from NSW, my Paseo encountered quite a few problems. There's a loud knocking noise that is there when I'm idling or driving, and gets quicker as you accelerate. The cars currently sitting at a mechanics (who says it's likely to be a rolled bearing in the lower end) and is being towed up here on Monday. Assuming it's cheaper for me to get a new engine, as I've been told, I'm going to keep the old 5E-FE and attempt to rebuild it myself. Has anybody stripped and rebuilt one of these? Anything I should be aware of before I start? I'm not particularly mechanically experienced (only really worked on small motors), but I have access to the tools and I'm pretty quick to learn things.

While I'm in there, I figure I may as well do some upgrades to the motor. I want to keep the engine NA, so what could I do to get the most reliable power out of the engine? I'm thinking lightened flywheel, performance cams, new piston heads, etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

You could make the engine a 5EFHE, I think you would need new higher compresison ratio pistons and bigger injectors from the 5EFHE and some other bits and pieces. Its been done before have a look around google. Should gain a good 10-20kw

Edit: found this

You could make the engine a 5EFHE, I think you would need new higher compresison ratio pistons and bigger injectors from the 5EFHE and some other bits and pieces. Its been done before have a look around google. Should gain a good 10-20kw

I've tracked down quite a few 'performance' products for the 5E-FE, but most of these will have to come from oversea's.

I'm so frustrated at the moment, I've almost decided to definitely get rid of the old engine (anybody want to purchase one for cheap?) and just save my money.

why dont you rebuild what you already have??...getting a 2nd hand engine may well see you back where you are now....stuffed engine and no car.

an added plus is if you rebuild what you've got is that you KNOW what is inside your engine AND you can build it for what you want to do with the engine....1/4 mile??...street hack??...or all out get up and boogie

as for performance cams....look into adjustable cam wheels....this enables you to adjust cam timing...thus either retarding or advancing your cam timing....but be warned.....some injected engine dont like having their cam timing played with......if you get a performance cam set....get a kit where you get an upgraded computer chip too...this allows for more agressive cam timing

cheers

PS....i'm a small engine mechanic too...been doing it for 18 years.....car engines aren't THAT much different

I've tracked down quite a few 'performance' products for the 5E-FE, but most of these will have to come from oversea's.

I'm so frustrated at the moment, I've almost decided to definitely get rid of the old engine (anybody want to purchase one for cheap?) and just save my money.

Well you could get a Starlet GT half cut, 4EFTE would be fun :)

Hope you get your lil pas back on the road, keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it

Well you could get a Starlet GT half cut, 4EFTE would be fun :)

Hope you get your lil pas back on the road, keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it

Thanks to awesome QLD rules, I can't drive anything turbo'd :rolleyes: Sucks as I've managed to find one in good running condition for cheap. The other big issue is money - I've only got a maximum of $2500 to spend on this. I'm slightly swaying towards a rebuild now, it makes a bit more sense when I think about it.

Stupid **** QLD laws, that sucks mate - politicians have NFI when it comes to motoring.

Go with the higher compression build! Some people have made some cool 5EFHE Paseos before - Cynos spec FTW :yahoo:

Stupid **** QLD laws, that sucks mate - politicians have NFI when it comes to motoring.

Go with the higher compression build! Some people have made some cool 5EFHE Paseos before - Cynos spec FTW :yahoo:

Any idea where I could track down a 5E-FHE in Queensland?

I probably wouldn't bother with getting the 5EFHE just the parts that you need to increase the compression ratio in the 5EFE and whatever else is different in the 5EFHE (injectors etc)

I probably wouldn't bother with getting the 5EFHE just the parts that you need to increase the compression ratio in the 5EFE and whatever else is different in the 5EFHE (injectors etc)

Well, so far the boys at work haven't been able to track down anything for a 5EFHE. I'm thinking of moving down to a .5mm gasket, but I'm also worried about bending rods - I know a slight increase in compression shouldn't hurt, but I can't go another week without my baby :(

Well, so far the boys at work haven't been able to track down anything for a 5EFHE. I'm thinking of moving down to a .5mm gasket, but I'm also worried about bending rods - I know a slight increase in compression shouldn't hurt, but I can't go another week without my baby :(

BOO to QLD rules! Your so close to import shops it is not funny. I rang around for half cuts of the 4EFTE, and a majority of them were up in QLD. They ranged from 1200 - 1500 in QLD!! ...That is 1k under your budget, and with your smarts and expertise, I'm sure you can do it!! You could always ninja spec it :spiteful: . The engine drops straight in :toast:

Only "complex" bit would be the wiring.

Lol RME1 can't you see I already tried to push the 4EFTE swap onto him :P

Out of curiosity, how long till you are off your Ps and can drive a boosted car? :P

BAHAHAHAHA, I will push 4EFTE onto EVERYONE! :whistling:

BOO to QLD rules! Your so close to import shops it is not funny. I rang around for half cuts of the 4EFTE, and a majority of them were up in QLD. They ranged from 1200 - 1500 in QLD!! ...That is 1k under your budget, and with your smarts and expertise, I'm sure you can do it!! You could always ninja spec it :spiteful: . The engine drops straight in :toast:

Only "complex" bit would be the wiring.

Well, if I wasn't so lazy, I could be off my P's now :P I've had my P's for 3 years now, but went all of last year without driving - I moved out of home and didn't have the funds to get a car. Once the cars up and running again, I'll work out what the next class of license is for me (I don't really understand the QLD system yet). So, hopefully, it shouldn't be much more than a year or two.

The main thing stopping me from driving a turbo is the insurance. Even getting something that's NA and classed as 'sporty' would set me back around $1900 with a excess of over $1400.

If anything, I'd go a 3S-GTE conversion over a 4E-FTE. While it's a nice little engine, you're sort of restricted in the amount of power you can make with only 1.3L. With the 3S-GTE, there's a lot more potential for ridiculous power in what's still a relatively light car. I'm not sure of the balance between power & cost between a 3S-GTE conversion stock and a 4E-FTE conversion with some bolt-ons.

How are you going with this mate? Any updates?

Finally got around to seeing the mechanic, he said the lower end bearing has gone and basically destroyed my crankshaft. I've got a rebuild kit ready to go (only $400 for genuine parts), but I still need the crankshaft. It's looking more like I should just get an imported motor as it will probably end up cheaper.

Awesome, finally some good news. Getting an imported motor that's done around 70k kms, all installed and running perfectly for around $1400. I bought Royal Purple Oil, Fuel Doctor Injector Cleaner, Eagle spark leads, NGK Iridium plugs and all Ryco filters, so it should be running quite alright.

Fingers crossed, I'll have a running car by next Monday.

EDIT: Just got a call from the mechanic, he said he's stayed back tonight and has fitted the new engine, all he needs are some bits and pieces I can pick up tomorrow morning and I should have running car by tomorrow afternoon :)

Edited by the_random_hero

Awesome, finally some good news. Getting an imported motor that's done around 70k kms, all installed and running perfectly for around $1400. I bought Royal Purple Oil, Fuel Doctor Injector Cleaner, Eagle spark leads, NGK Iridium plugs and all Ryco filters, so it should be running quite alright.

EDIT: Just got a call from the mechanic, he said he's stayed back tonight and has fitted the new engine, all he needs are some bits and pieces I can pick up tomorrow morning and I should have running car by tomorrow afternoon :)

Fuken mint mate! What engine are you getting put in it?

Fuken mint mate! What engine are you getting put in it?

Just a 5E-FE. He's run into some problems getting it in this afternoon, so it should be hopefully running by tomorrow morning/later on tonight.

Once it's back on the road, I'll keep on putting like $50 a week towards upgrades. Next I need some rear speakers (I had a $400 set of Hertz HSK's but I broked one :(), I'll probably just go with Kicker KS 6" coax's. I've got the Kicker DS 6.5" splits in the front and they're alright, but I definitely need to sound deaden my doors, so I think that will come after that.

Nice find with the engine and the install quote!

Best of luck with the modding process! Can't underestimate these Paseos. :toast:

Excellent, my car is back and in action. While fitting my new ignition leads (hooray, even though they were designed for my car, they are a bit too long :rolleyes:), I noticed that my fully sick air intake is actually creating a bit of a vacuum upside of the plenum. Before I get a new filter, I want to add bonnet vents (semi-forced induction :P ) that's feeding straight onto the pod, then isolate the filter from the engine bay.