Painted brakes calipers

i went to buy a DIY kit for painting brake calipers from repco yesterday and the guy that severed me said that i will have trouble trying to get a roadworthy for my car if i painted the caliperes red. :unsure:

he said that a machanic who actually writes out RWcert told him that.

the guy from repco was abit unsure aswell, as we both mention that cars like the HSV's and mit's EVO's have standered painted brakes, eg Brembo's.

does any one know anything about this?

has anyone had any trouble before?

wil

Impossible as you have not changed anything mechanical on the car.

That's like saying you'll get defected for swapping the headunit.

^^^...Or being defected because you painted the fully sik 20" chromies black because you now prefer to be a ricer. hahaha

thats what i thought too,

it's like getting defected for changing the colour of the car to pink or something :blink:

oh well i'm still going to paint my calipers red anyways, just wondering if anyone eles has heard of anything like that.

Impossible as you have not changed anything mechanical on the car.

That's like saying you'll get defected for swapping the headunit.

^^^...Or being defected because you painted the fully sik 20" chromies black because you now prefer to be a ricer. hahaha

thats what i thought too,

it's like getting defected for changing the colour of the car to pink or something :blink:

oh well i'm still going to paint my calipers red anyways, just wondering if anyone eles has heard of anything like that.

you can actually be defected for respraying the car in another colour and not notifying the RTA (vehicle colour is recorded on the Rego)

just a slightly off topic question. What product do you guys use to clean up your calipers before painting them? My calipers look really dirty, they're completely black, covered by a thick layer of dust, I guess it's because of the steel wheels I had a while back. I went to SuperCheap Auto this morning, bought myself a brake cleaner can but apparently it doesn't help at all.. Any suggestions?

Hey

I recently went in to one of our RTA offices here in Perth, and I was talking to the guy for a little while. I asked him about mods, strut brace in particular. His reply was along the lines of 'as long as theres no structural change/weakening, or any interference to the safety/standards of the vehicle, we don't care/mind'.

Saying that, it also comes down to the cop (if he/she wants to pull you over) or the person inspecting the vehicle, and if they want to give you a hard time.

For WA people, here is the link for mods that don't require approval. I don't know how this would differ in other states. Failing that, look into the NCOP if your worried.

Edit: there's a write-up on this forum (I think) on painting calipers, or alternatively, search the toymods forum, there's a good write up there. Sorry, but I can't find the links at the moment.

i went to buy a DIY kit for painting brake calipers from repco yesterday and the guy that severed me said that i will have trouble trying to get a roadworthy for my car if i painted the caliperes red. :unsure:

he said that a machanic who actually writes out RWcert told him that.

the guy from repco was abit unsure aswell, as we both mention that cars like the HSV's and mit's EVO's have standered painted brakes, eg Brembo's.

does any one know anything about this?

has anyone had any trouble before?

wil

That's why you should never listen to people who work at Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn. If they had a brain they wouldn't be working for Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn unless they own the place.

Like when I got a quote for a particular part... "You know they're illegal, are you using them on a street car??", my response "What business of that is yours?". F@cking w@nker

daviboys ride thread shows pretty indepth of what he did with his calipers.

for getting rid of the grime, muck and whatever is on the calpiers, i used engine drgreaser. worked like a charm with a rough brush of some knid, steel or non is ok.

my pleasure, ive painted mine red they loook soo nice now. but easiest way is to DIY without taking the brakes off, just make sure u cover the partss u dont want sprayed :rolleyes:

the guy that severed me

ouch, what did he cut off? :P

damm it someone beat me to it LOL. :toast::toast:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...inting+calipers

This thread is going to be the same as this one so please look here before posting.

As for being illegal that is total rubbish.I know of at least 10 cars here in Brisbane that have changed owners and not one has been knocked on a RWC for having the calipers painted red/white or even a horrible yellow.

the guy that severed me

ouch, what did he cut off? :P

damm it someone beat me to it LOL. :toast::toast:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...inting+calipers

This thread is going to be the same as this one so please look here before posting.

lol, sorry about the typo,

sorry if its already been covered, but i did a search and my topic is not about painting but about it being legal, ;)

thanks for all the replys everyone,

i'll post a pic of the defect notice if i ever get one for it :D

how can painting your calipers be a defect? if the guy had said that to me all id say to him is "mate thats the dumbest **** ive ever heard just gimme the damn paint so you can go back to pickin your nose and askin which way did he go george which way did he go?"

its like when i bought the paint from repco and asked if it needed primer first he said no.....that was after reading the can i read the can and kindly pointed it out for him...... <_<

aint exactly a brains trust these fella's are they

That's why you should never listen to people who work at Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn. If they had a brain they wouldn't be working for Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn unless they own the place.

Like when I got a quote for a particular part... "You know they're illegal, are you using them on a street car??", my response "What business of that is yours?". F@cking w@nker

Don't worry, I had a suspension place, that sell's Teins, tell me that the Cusco 02's aren't street legal....even though the offending part he pointed out, the Teins have :lol:

The issue was apparently the lower height adjusting mount being able to go, both up and down, and locked in with the locking ring :rolleyes:

So don't believe what the idiots in the shops tells you, final word rests with insurance and the roads authority.